Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Evolving Husbandry

Old 13-05-2013, 10:30 PM   #1
geordie mark
Juvenile

Send a message via MSN to geordie mark
Default are vivariums acceptable now ?

ive seen a few people mention Viv's now and cant help but notice people mention it this was a swaer word when i was on here the first time. my vet recommeneded a viv for the redfoot and leeopard as you can control the temperature better and also the humidity for the redfoot ?

T.H.Hercegvenensis 1.0.0
S.P. Babcocki 0.1.0
Chelonoidis Carbonaria 0.1.0 (My Parents)
West Highland White Terrier 1.0.0
Scottish Terrier 1.0.0
geordie mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 11:10 PM   #2
cherylahutch
Adult

I use vivs for my horsfields and they are fit and healthy. Think it depends on if you mean like a fish tank or a wooden cabinet type mine are the cabinet ones with lots of vents and they work best for me.
Old 13-05-2013, 11:57 PM   #3
geordie mark
Juvenile

Send a message via MSN to geordie mark

prescott recommended it too me !

T.H.Hercegvenensis 1.0.0
S.P. Babcocki 0.1.0
Chelonoidis Carbonaria 0.1.0 (My Parents)
West Highland White Terrier 1.0.0
Scottish Terrier 1.0.0
geordie mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 07:34 AM   #4
yuna1971
Adult

Views can change. There is no general consensus on this subject as lots of owners do well with vivs and lots do well with tables. Unless its a species that has to have one to create the best environment then really it's more down to choice. There are benefits for each option, just as there can be down sides to them. As long as the tortoise isn't stressed or ill and he seems happy then either option (with thought) can work.
I prefer tables but that's just opinion & preference. xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 07:37 AM   #5
Pussygalore
Adult

I think peoples veiws on various things have 'mellowed' over the years, viv's and tables being one and another pellets, both were frowned on a few years back but now even some of the more expert amoung us can be seen using both. Its not what you use but how you use it that can cause problems, its certainly easier to use a table but certain species do need more humidity which is easier to control in a viv and if you have a cold house in the winter its easier to keep a viv warmer. Pellets if fed properly and not being the only food don't cause pyramidding anymore than over feeding a weed/plant diet and its now thought to be a combination of various factors that cause torts to grow badly not just the use of pellets. Keeping torts is a constant learning curve and new things are always being talked about, its up to the owner to make their own mind up how and what they use and if they get good results then they can't be going far wrong.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 08:47 AM   #6
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordie mark View Post
ive seen a few people mention Viv's now and cant help but notice people mention it this was a swaer word when i was on here the first time. my vet recommeneded a viv for the redfoot and leeopard as you can control the temperature better and also the humidity for the redfoot ?
Depends on who you talk too:0)
I dont think they are suitable for med tortoises or any larger species.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 09:08 AM   #7
Pussygalore
Adult

I would personally never use a viv, I don't have any torts now but always used tables when we did have them and they were outside all summer with heated houses and hibernated in the winter. However when we had hatchlings or anything inside over winter our house was always nice and warm so tables worked well for me, personally I think that if you don't have you're heating on at least in the tort room then maybe a cold blooded animal isn't the choice to have especially if you don't want to hibernate but thats just my opinium. Viv's to me are a second choice and unless you get it right can be hard to get the temp gradient and low humidity which the med species like but thats not saying its impossible and some are quite happy with their set ups.

Last edited by Pussygalore; 14-05-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 09:22 AM   #8
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
Depends on who you talk too:0)
I dont think they are suitable for med tortoises or any larger species.
I agree with sandy, med torts come from a dry arid environment with low humidity, and need a temp gradient, from one end to the other, I don't believe you can get that successfully in a viv. Just my opinion!!!

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 10:56 AM   #9
cherylahutch
Adult

I have no problems with temp gradient in my vivs they are 5 foot long and have good ventilation, I've had my tortoises in them from getting my first, they are over wintered in them and are my temperatures are nice and steady if I put them in tables they would be really cold in the winter. They are outside as much as possible in the summer but if needed and we got a really hot summer (we wish ) I would open the glass door and put some wood across to stop escapees not had to do that in all the time I've had them.
Old 14-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #10
shelmarie
Hatchling

I personally use converted vivs. I've taken out one of the glass panels and replaced with a strong hard mesh. I get a good temp gradient and all my guys seem to be doing well. Again as others have said its personal preference.