Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 28-02-2011, 09:11 PM   #1
mcgregor
Incubating

Default Has Anybody Got Any Ideas on a Portable Enclosure?

Hi Folks,

Here's our problem - we've got two male Hermann torts who share a small divided tort-table for sleeping when they're not hibernating and it's not summer outside (like, now). Problem is, once they're awake in the morning they bask briefly under the UV lamp then climb, climb, climb frantically after an hour or so as the divided space is too small. So we then put one on the stone-floored kitchen and one in the stone-floored utility room where they get cold again. Can't put them in the same room cos they fight when they see each other. We'd like to buy some kind of enclosure (two of them) which is much bigger than their tort table (like maybe 2 metres x 2 metres) which we can put in the kitchen lined with newspaper and substrate to keep them warmer, and even then put outside in the summer as the sun doesn't hit their outdoor run until around noon - anybody know suppliers who sell that kind of thing? Had a look on the internet and found nothing really. Advice appreciated.

Ta
Old 28-02-2011, 09:16 PM   #2
burnt toast
Adult

What about a large wardrobe tipped on its back? or a tall bookcase, shelves removed. Argos had some deep ones on offer for £19.99. Try Ikea, argos, e-bay or freecycle?
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 10:51 PM   #3
scapula
Incubating

just a thought but maybe something like this?
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...;3ESANDPIT.htm
scapula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:11 PM   #4
shellonia
Sub Adult

The bookcases are cheaper and you have a backing.I've bought several this year as a lot of mine woke and have to be indoors for a while.I lined the backs with thick polythene then thick cardboard topped by newspapers as it wont be long before they're out and about.They're fine without substrate as a temporary measure.You can put a shelf across to make a cooler,darker end or to divide.Then you can just unscrew and store them flat during summer
shellonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:31 PM   #5
pagan queen
Adult

Could you rig up some lighting in the rooms that they use? My adult has the run of our living room and kitchen all day every day and we have set up his lighting under our parrots cage where he also has trays of soil and water as well as rocks to bask on. He stomps around and then goes over to his lamps to bask he sleeps in a flower pot in one of the soil filled trays.

I just want to add, (before I get jumped on) the reason for this is because he was lost for 7 years and confining him to a table was driving us and him insane. This way it works for all of us, (except my husband who moans about him pooing, but he's not important, )
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:11 PM   #6
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

An indoor rig could just be four sides conected together with hinges, this would fold away, the bottom could be a sheet of ply, line the inside with thick plastic sheet. Build it as big as you need. The ouside can be a permanant wooden enclosure.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:53 AM   #7
Kirkie
Adult

Some people use this

http://www.linkabord.co.uk/home.page

For enclosures like this

http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=29744

This stuff is easier to put together and put away than wood. Ive tried hinged, wooden temp enclosures. Ok but not very compact when not needed.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:07 PM   #8
mcgregor
Incubating

Thanks for all your suggestions - I've also posted again about a "Lucky Reptile" plastic run that sounds good, but some of these self-made rigs sound good too (blimey, I sound like Harry Hill now). Seriously, thanks everybody, will post pics if I make my own!
Old 16-03-2011, 04:27 PM   #9
Katie-n-spoon
Hatched

one of those pop up paddling pools with the rigid sides? then just fill it with soil, piece if wood down the middle- job done

2.1.0 hermanns- Spoon, Wilfee, Hermie
1.1.0 tunisians- Daisy, Buttercup
0.1.0 dogs- Ripley
0.1.0 cat- Chloe- rip sweetie
Katie-n-spoon is offline   Reply With Quote