Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 20-01-2012, 12:33 PM   #1
2steps
Egg

Default Tortoise Boarding

Hi, does anyone know of anywhere in Surrey that takes tortoises for boarding? I am going on holiday in April and have no one to check in on mine. I could take him with me as we're visiting family and a shop nearby does boarding and I know the owner but I'm worried about taking him on the 5 hour train journey and whether he'd be warm enough etc
2steps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
Pussygalore
Adult

you have the same prob as we all do, either taking him with you or using the shop would work, I've done both before with success, the torts travelled ok in the back of the car in their table and we just took the lights etc. The shop also worked as long as you trust and know them, other than that anyone that offers to board would need a unused set up and a very good hygene/barrier system as the main problem is your tort catchling something or passing something to their's, again it would need to be someone who you know, we haven't been away for a proper holiday for years due to not having a carer. The other choice is to try to find a neibour etc and train them in what is needed. Just noticed you mention a train your tort would just sleep if he's in a cosy container so the temp isn't a problem however you'd need somewhere to put him when you got there with lights etc, I suppose if its a trip you do often you could have a set up kept there.

Last edited by Pussygalore; 20-01-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
Pennymeister
Egg

Be warm enough in a shoebox on your lap? They just scrabble about a lot.
Pennymeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 11:27 AM   #4
2steps
Egg

I can take him but can't keep him with me as we are staying in a caravan and travelling by train, I'm just worried about him getting hurt or dropped during the travelling :s I also have my three children with me including my autistic 5 yr old. Though he will be in his pushchair so I could use a pet carrier and put it in the basket underneath maybe... ? Can you buy a solid plastic type carrier like is used for cats but smaller?

Though taking him with me and having him board at the shop is what I would be most happy with as I know the owner and he has looked after Toby before. My brother has tortoises but no spare table etc and his are all quite a bit bigger than mine and as mentioned there could be an infection risk
2steps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 03:22 PM   #5
knottyedge
Hatchling

its always tricky when going away,
i moved to a new area last sept and i struggled to find someone to pop in every day and check mine when i was away(as i still didn't really know anyone) and the person i did ask a lovely old lady i met on my dog walks had never had any experience with any kind of reptiles so when i explained what had to be done daily i.e fresh food/baths/powders on food it scared the hell out of her lol and i found i was still worried stiff
knottyedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 04:59 PM   #6
kkenny
Sub Adult

5 hours will be ok, you could put one of those gel hand warmers on or under it, that's how mine travelled to me overnight without any probs, they just dont like change.

Spartacus, THB, March 2013
Henry, THB, July 2008
kkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 09:18 AM   #7
tuftybunny
Egg

I would see if you can get a neighbour to pop in as you will have your hands full trying to get on and off the train with the children, put if not he should travel ok in a box in the bottom of the pushchair. Just fill it with hay or shredded paper to give him a bit of insulation - as long as the weather isn't freezing it should be ok he will just think it's night time if it's a bit cooler than normal and hopefully sleep
1.0.0 Chinchilla - O.D
0.1.0 Jack Russel - Poppy
1.0.0 Stupid Cat - Boris
3.0.0 Kids - Hubby Marty, Tom, Will
tuftybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 12:41 PM   #8
yuna1971
Adult

I just found this on google but....who knows if they are any good or bad. Perhaps a member on here has used them..I dont know.

Still, this is the website.
http://tortoisesonholiday.com/Boarding.html

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 12:49 PM   #9
NATURALIS
Adult

i think it's a bad idea to board your tortoise's where other's have been ,you stand a good chance of it catching something from other's that have been there , better to leave them with someone without tortoise's
Old 24-01-2012, 12:55 PM   #10
yuna1971
Adult

yeah I agree i think..
I think maybe draw up your own care sheet, perhaps talk to a neighbour, see if they can do a morning/evening feed. Bathing etc.
Maybe write down the things you need for torty (like a step by step)
Leave your mob number - keep it switched on at all times. This probably will ease your mind and your neighbours. Maybe that would work.?? xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote