Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 15-07-2011, 10:28 PM   #1
2steps
Egg

Default How intelligent are tortoises?

I just wondered compared to other animals? As I have had to move Toby to a smaller table temporary I get him out in the evening for a few hours to run round and he always goes straight for the shut door and walks up and down it like he knows he can get out. No matter how many times I move him he goes straight back over there. I was told their eyesight wasn't very good so would be be able to see us going in and out from across the room?
2steps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 11:02 PM   #2
burnt toast
Adult

I dont know the answer but my younger Margie girls got lazy when the temps dropped after the April bad weather - would stay in their hut all day. So I took to locking them out (on good days) but they knew exactly where the door was & would wait & climb on each other trying to get in, banging & pushing trying to barge through.

I have now moved them to their new enclosure & these two crafty madams have spotted there is a ramp in their new greenhouse & are queing at the locked door of the shed (theyve never been in the shed or know they can) so I dont think theyre stupid. (but these two are lazy lol )
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 11:11 PM   #3
NATURALIS
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2steps View Post
I just wondered compared to other animals? As I have had to move Toby to a smaller table temporary I get him out in the evening for a few hours to run round and he always goes straight for the shut door and walks up and down it like he knows he can get out. No matter how many times I move him he goes straight back over there. I was told their eyesight wasn't very good so would be be able to see us going in and out from across the room?
They got built in sat nav
Old 16-07-2011, 07:12 AM   #4
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

they are much smarter than my dog

.. but that's only because I don't have a dog
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 08:18 AM   #5
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

They must be very intelligent to have survived some of the harshest environments over the centuries.
Petrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 08:30 AM   #6
Pussygalore
Adult

they certainly seem to have good enough eyesight to see movement a long way off, but if you stand still can't see you, but they also must have a good sense of smell. My Sid will 'track' down his 'wife' nose to the ground and usually finds her, mind you again if she sits still he will go past, intelligence wise they are smart enough for what they need to know so you can't really compare them to anything else, that 'knowlege' is also passed down as hatchlings know what is poisonous etc and how to behave without being shown like many babies, they don't see or have active parents to teach them. There's a big difference between intelligence and instinct and I think torts act more from instinct, intelligence, at least to me is being able to learn and work things out I'm not sure torts can do that ie they will try to climb or go through an obstacle rather than have the 'sense' to go around and will keep doing the same thing, example wire or glass or even each other. Another thing just because they have survived for so many years doesn't always mean intelligence, nature plays a big part, the adult tort has defenses that probably make it not worth the trouble for many predators to bother with, but how many babies actually make it to adulthood? maybe its why the female tort lays several clutches a year, there might only be a couple that survive to adults and that hasn't changed in all those years.

Last edited by Pussygalore; 16-07-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 08:55 AM   #7
terig
Hatched

My Spur definatly recognises me as he literatly runs when he see or hears me -think its a food thing.
terig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 09:06 AM   #8
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussygalore View Post
There's a big difference between intelligence and instinct and I think torts act more from instinct, intelligence, at least to me is being able to learn and work things out I'm not sure torts can do that ie they will try to climb or go through an obstacle rather than have the 'sense' to go around and will keep doing the same thing
Aye, that's right. Thinking about that, they are pretty thick after all. One of mine has a hole in the end of the pot and can see out it and walks about with the pot on it's back rather than have the sense to get out of it. Getting out the water dish can be tiring to watch as well, the legs just keep moving in mid air until contact is made with something solid, rather than simply go back and try again

Other animals like cats, squirrels and birds for example can work things out to make life easier for themselves
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 09:06 AM   #9
Pussygalore
Adult

but does he also go over to see if anyone else has food? my adults will come to see anyone who goes in their enclosure, Sid to attack their feet and Tootsie to see if there's anything on offer. To me thats not because they 'love/like' their owner but because they have gotten over their natural fear of people. However every owner hopes its because their tort is pleased to see them
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 09:10 AM   #10
Pelehawk
Incubating

Reggie seems to go around obsticles rather then attempt to climb over them........but if he can't find away around he will climb over but seems to plan his moves out.....

Then again most of the time he forgets he has a shell and tries to fit under things.......
Pelehawk is offline   Reply With Quote