Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 24-06-2009, 08:07 PM   #21
dugy
Juvenile

wow!!!! i am now using combined bulbs and cannot rate them enough!!! i now only run two bulbs and can already see increased activity! no more messy wires or running silly amount of bulbs!

also the heat seems to stay in the room longer so the room cools gradually oppose to it going from hot to cool within minutes...

i love them...
dugy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:19 PM   #22
spiderbaitwebs
Incubating

Send a message via MSN to spiderbaitwebs Send a message via Yahoo to spiderbaitwebs
Default bulb UVB

they are good are they because I am looking up bulds and heaters now, question what do you guys do over night? Heat matts? Or can you leave the lamps on without light?"
Old 11-07-2009, 09:16 PM   #23
Emmykins
Egg

Send a message via MSN to Emmykins

i have a rabbit cage in my room which im using to but the baby tort wen i get it , will a combined bulb seriously heat my room up!
3 hamsters
6 guines pigs
1 chicken
Emmykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 11:53 PM   #24
xmasallthetime
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazza View Post
I have done some digging and asked around and the bulbs to watch are the compact uv lamps - mainly the those made in china, they seem to give off a higher level uv radation when new - most have been removed from sale and zoo med now give theres some burn in time before dispatch to cut down the radiation.

The combined UV/Heat lamps are not affected with this problem, as long as they are installed correctly they can be used on your animals straight away, with no ill affects.

http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor.htm

All of the bulbs on my site are safe for immediate use, i gather lots of data before listing things so i can sell with confidance - please beware of cheap lamps nd those chinese imports, i understand my lamps dont fit everyones budgets so if you find a cheap lamp drop me a pm and i will see if have a uv data on them for you there are some very dangerous products for sale so please be careful - this does'nt apply to all lamps so if in doubt drop me a pm - you dont have to buy from me to get an opinon

Rgds
Dazza
As far as that study goes, I don't know if they sell zilla bulbs in Europe, but they redid the Zilla deserts that were recalled. I've used them and they work great. No problems. I don't know if the other bulbs were re-done as these were.

I've heard that you should let the uvb bulbs burn off for a bit before use, as in ALL of them, not just some. I try to do that with all of the lights I get for all of my torts and lizards.
xmasallthetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2009, 09:18 PM   #25
thelosertype
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmasallthetime View Post
As far as that study goes, I don't know if they sell zilla bulbs in Europe, but they redid the Zilla deserts that were recalled. I've used them and they work great. No problems. I don't know if the other bulbs were re-done as these were.

I've heard that you should let the uvb bulbs burn off for a bit before use, as in ALL of them, not just some. I try to do that with all of the lights I get for all of my torts and lizards.
I, too let the bulbs (all of them) burn atleast a day before exposing to my reptiles. Yea the zilla deserts were remade. I read the new ones were out since last year. I starting buying them early this year. They're good, but unfortunately I don't know about the rest of the lights. There should be another study coming out soon, I hope. Because that one is somewhat terribly outdated.
thelosertype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:08 PM   #26
clairestortoise
Juvenile

Send a message via MSN to clairestortoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymarie View Post
I cant get my head around the uv/combi heat lamp? does this mean if you get one of these,uou dont need the basking lamp?? i'm sorry if you think this is a silly Q.S but i'm still learning about different things.and what watt uv strip should you get? 24?? i've seen on some people's pics of enclosure that they have the baskiong bulb at one end,but further down on the same side they have the uv,is this best for them? x kel
Hi, Im fairly new to tortoises too, Got my 1st Horsfield in Nov. Its not a silly question, I was exactly the same. Theres so much to learn and so many products on the market. Its difficult to find genuine advice. I buy from Kimbos as its recommended by many on the forums so will stick with Kimbos. I believe do not cut costs! or you will pay the price!! You get what you pay for!! I bought the combined MegaRay 160W bulb and the shade too! Am very happy with the items and the delivery was FAST too!! Ordered on the monday morning, received on the tuesday!!!
Claire&Teddy

9 Cats, Wallace 15, Blackie 10, Scooby&Phoebe(Bro&Sis) 9, Gucci 6, Snuggles 5 and Oliver 3 and Blossom and Billy 10 months old

Tye 9 Yr old Yorkie

2 children

1 Husband

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...e&id=523711412

clairestortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:19 PM   #27
clairestortoise
Juvenile

Send a message via MSN to clairestortoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
Correct kellymarie. you just need the one bulb like this

That bulb provides heat for basking and UV for their health. It is £50 but works out cheaper in the long term. Strip lights need replacing every 6 months but the megarays last up to 2 years
I did a lot of looking around on bulbs, strip lights, reflectors etc...I found MegaRay was far better value and the best combined bulb on the market.

I thought the bulb lasted 1 year! Cool I get an extra year for my money..Excellent!!! That will please my hubby lol

9 Cats, Wallace 15, Blackie 10, Scooby&Phoebe(Bro&Sis) 9, Gucci 6, Snuggles 5 and Oliver 3 and Blossom and Billy 10 months old

Tye 9 Yr old Yorkie

2 children

1 Husband

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...e&id=523711412

clairestortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 10:30 PM   #28
Bootfit
Egg

Hello all,

I'm thinking of getting a combined heat/UV lamp for Higgins, my 3 year of Hermann.

I was looking at this one - is this a suitable bulb for a tortoise?

cheers
Bootfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 10:54 PM   #29
yuna1971
Adult

Perfect!
Make sure you keep the receipt etc when you buy it. You have a 6months warranty on these, so if you find it blows, or doesnt work - you have 6months and can get a replacement bulb from Kimbos.
Mega Rays and the new Arcadia are generally speaking the best out there.

Remember to stick to the height restrictions on the box. Also make sure your bulb holder, can take the wattage of the MR.
Good choice and well done. xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 04:02 PM   #30
Bootfit
Egg

Cheers Yuna - could you suggest a bulb holder? I dont think my existing ones would cope.
Bootfit is offline   Reply With Quote