Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 04-11-2021, 03:35 PM   #1
Yvonne G
Hatched

Default Come on, you guys. . .

. . . it's too early for you to be brumating! Where is everybody?

Ok, I'll start:

I've finally gotten all my plants (mostly cactus and succulents) into the little greenhouse for the winter. Heater's all set up on a timer to only go on at night. Bring winter on!!

My tortoise partner was slow bringing up the two more night boxes so I can separate the three male radiata, so I've set two of them up in the cinderblock shelters I have on my carport, and the third is in his own night box. I've got my fingers crossed that the two on the carport don't fight because they're in the last of my extra heated shelters. (My tortoise partner lives in the San Diego area, which is a 6 hour drive from where I live here in Central California)

Far as the rest of the shelled group, everyone is set up for winter.

Update on the Manouria emys emys eggs - none of them hatched, and when I opened them up, they were clear. Oh well. This is a new-to-me female and male, and they'd only been here a couple months. I'm hoping for better results next year.

My original Manouria emys emys nested in June this year, and I was able to put 39 eggs into the incubator. Only four of them hatched, well, three actually hatched, one died after pipping. I thought they had hatched too early. One had a very large yolk that too a couple weeks to absorb, and one never developed eyes, so hatched with no eyes. The third seems fine. The little blind guy gets around his enclosure just fine. He finds the food and water, so he's received a reprieve from the executioner.

After many months, the road construction project in front of my house (widening the street from two lanes to six) is about to start. I received an email from the City engineer yesterday asking to set up a meeting between him, the contractor and me to talk about my new driveway. I'm very nervous about this whole thing.

Other than all that, it's leaves, leaves and more leaves!!! I rake them all up and cover the box turtle yard with them, to give the turtles places to brumate.

Ok, I updated you on my 'happenings' what's going on with you all?
Old 04-11-2021, 05:53 PM   #2
tortydat
Sub Adult

Hello Yvonne good to hear from you. Not much happening with me now as all my temperate species are now tucked up in their hibernating boxes. Weather has been very up and down here as was very mild until recently and now we have had our first few frosts. The only torts I have still up are my four Browns in their insulated shed, a male Indian Star in the conservatory in company with five hatchling Horsfields, one Hermann and my blind three year old ibera.

Difficult to imagine over here how large your country is as doing a six hour drive here would be quite an expedition. Good luck for your meeting with the City Engineer about your new driveway are they taking some of your land to extend the road?

Sorry to hear that most of your Brown eggs weren't successful but fingers crossed for next year. Gordon has been pretty successful with his Brown eggs.

Would love to see some pictures of your Radiatas are they fully grown or youngsters

Like you we have masses of leaves to clear up but hopefully they will all be down shortly so can do them in one go.

Mary
tortydat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 08:41 PM   #3
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Not much happening here, mine are hibernating. It's 4c at the moment.
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 09:46 PM   #4
Yvonne G
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortydat View Post
Hello Yvonne good to hear from you. Not much happening with me now as all my temperate species are now tucked up in their hibernating boxes. Weather has been very up and down here as was very mild until recently and now we have had our first few frosts. The only torts I have still up are my four Browns in their insulated shed, a male Indian Star in the conservatory in company with five hatchling Horsfields, one Hermann and my blind three year old ibera.

Difficult to imagine over here how large your country is as doing a six hour drive here would be quite an expedition. Good luck for your meeting with the City Engineer about your new driveway are they taking some of your land to extend the road?

Sorry to hear that most of your Brown eggs weren't successful but fingers crossed for next year. Gordon has been pretty successful with his Brown eggs.

Would love to see some pictures of your Radiatas are they fully grown or youngsters

Like you we have masses of leaves to clear up but hopefully they will all be down shortly so can do them in one go.

Mary
Yes they 'bought' about 10 or 15 feet across the front of the property along with many trees and bushes. One of the things I asked for in our contract was for them to put up a retaining wall where they cut away my hill. They agreed to this, and gave me additional $$ to 'rent' ten more feet across the front for their wall building equipment. But I'll get that back when the wall is built. But this cut into my pond, which meant I had to allow it to evaporate and dry up. I have four big stock tanks full of turtles and fish. I can't get my pond back soon enough. It's a big job taking care of that much unfiltered water!

Well, I'd love to be able to post pictures but the powers that be here on this Forum don't deem me worthy of picture posting. I have a little message at the lower left of my screen telling me I can't post pictures. I have 4.3 full grown radiata. This will be the first year I will put them together, or, I should say, next year will be the first year. I've got a couple very experienced coaches helping me with the breeding (Zovikian and Sterant).

Well, back out to rake more leaves!
Old 04-11-2021, 09:49 PM   #5
Yvonne G
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan1 View Post
Not much happening here, mine are hibernating. It's 4c at the moment.
So I imagine it's going to be that way here most of the winter. I'm going to miss all of you. It's very interesting and informative for me reading about all your tortoises and your husbandry.
Old 05-11-2021, 08:54 AM   #6
Gordon
Adult

Well it's white outside this morning as -1c and the only thing outside are the guinea pigs but I think they will be coming in today.
All of my Herman's and iberas are all boxed up for the winter so it's only my tortoises and lizards in the tortoise room are still up.
The browns are on the floor in there on dried miscanthus grass and seem to understand its not time to be going outside now.
They are eating me out of house and home which has been including lots of pumpkins which they love and will devour one in best part of an hour. The best thing is the bonus I get next year when all the bedding goes out on the garden I get loads of free pumpkin plants growing from the seeds that they have passed through .

I'm still hatching eggs from the browns and I think I'm up to around 80 babies at the moment with more to go I will have to get some more pictures up.

And fingers crossed I have a little group of new tortoises coming on Wednesday which should of been here last week but they missed their flight.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 05:10 PM   #7
Yvonne G
Hatched

Gordon: Health issues all cleared up?
Old 05-11-2021, 07:46 PM   #8
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonne G View Post
Gordon: Health issues all cleared up?
You are funny.

I seem to be infection free but I'm getting quite a lot of pain from where the hernia they originally gave me has been repaired. It feels like my skin is being torn but apart from that that part of me seems OK.

But I went into town on Wednesday and was doing a nice steady walk looking in shop windows for inspiration when for know reason I had a shooting pain in my calf muscle which stopped me in my tracks.
I stood still for a minute and no mater what I did it didn't ease off so I had to hobble to the bank and then got the other half to go and get my van as there was no way I was getting to the carpark. Well I eventually got home and rested it all day and Thursday and today I can just about walk.

This getting out for fresh air and some exercise is not good for you........
Old 06-11-2021, 08:54 AM   #9
Yvonne G
Hatched

Sheesh! What next?
Old 06-11-2021, 08:57 AM   #10
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonne G View Post
Sheesh! What next?
Give it time I'm sure something else will fail.

This getting older really sucks 😕