Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 20-11-2010, 04:25 PM   #1
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Default Eviction joke

The new plans from our beloved Government don't make any sense again. New tenants of council housing and associations will sign contract's for 5 to 10 years, if you are on benifits and your life pick's up ie find decent pay employment you can be evicted after your contract run's out, don't bother buying nice thing's for the house or doing the garden up, they will chuck you out, where you going to go. As well as waiting years to try and get a council property. Some Associations can offer as little as a two year contract.
I live on a fairly good part of a council estate own my own, there is some working some not and some retired, the majority are very tidy any that realy fall behind, like neighbours from hell style move on, or are evicted, leaving a balance. The last to move in near us a single parent with two kid's a few have helped her along with a bit of decorating, giving her a lawn mower ect, little thing's. This latest idea from our gestapo style government has got to be an April fool .
Old 21-11-2010, 12:53 PM   #2
pixie-egg
Sub Adult

Hmm. I can't really see how thats a bad thing. Surely you'd go in a council house when you can't afford to run your own or a privately rented one. Then as you say your life picks up with a good job and you can afford to up grade and give your council one to someone who'll benefit from it more. I privately rent and it is hard knowing you shell out all that money every month and have nothing to show for it. It's very very upsetting actually. We get a 6 month contract and could in effect be homeless at any point. At least in council you are saying you get up to a 10 year contract and no one can boot you out sooner. I think thats a fantastic and generous deal! I'd be happy as Larry knowing I had somewhere to live even on a 2 year contract.
I'm sorry to disagree X

Last edited by pixie-egg; 21-11-2010 at 01:04 PM.
pixie-egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2010, 02:37 PM   #3
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie-egg View Post
Hmm. I can't really see how thats a bad thing. Surely you'd go in a council house when you can't afford to run your own or a privately rented one. Then as you say your life picks up with a good job and you can afford to up grade and give your council one to someone who'll benefit from it more. I privately rent and it is hard knowing you shell out all that money every month and have nothing to show for it. It's very very upsetting actually. We get a 6 month contract and could in effect be homeless at any point. At least in council you are saying you get up to a 10 year contract and no one can boot you out sooner. I think thats a fantastic and generous deal! I'd be happy as Larry knowing I had somewhere to live even on a 2 year contract.
I'm sorry to disagree X
No problem, every one's entitled to there own, but a council property was for life if you wanted it to be and actualy buying your own council property was a Tory idea. The original idea of council estates were to build non overcrowded housing on secure tenancies for the working class, 40% of the countries social housing is owned by local authorities. Theres going to be a lot of people moving around, or forced to in the future. Which will put the price of private renting up massive, nice for landlords, as there could be more people after renting the property as they have been forced to leave another, that was once secure.
Old 21-11-2010, 05:43 PM   #4
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Ah the tories. I was just reading that the problem was caused by T**tcher selling off council houses. Councils had to sell at huge discounts meaning they sold at a loss, the councils had much less income from rents and therefore no money to build new houses = the sutuation we now have. The council here don't have enough houses (like everywhere) so they are BUYING houses from people they sold them to yonks ago. There was a young lass who was left by her grandad an ex council house that was what they call a pensioners house. He had bought it for £27,000 and she put it up for sale at offers over £60,000 and the council put in an offer of £75,000 to make sure they got it!!! A £48,000 loss plus the original loss when they had to sell at discount
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 11:20 PM   #5
pixie-egg
Sub Adult

That right to buy policy was brilliant for the folks lucky enough to be involved and I so wish I could have been a part of it. We tried to get a council house about 6 years ago.
We lived in a terrible part of leeds in house we somehow found rent and council tax free. Honestly the land lady knew we were there but was just happy it wasn't empty. All was going well, we'd met, married and were starting a life together. Then a young lad moved in next door. He tried his hardest to speak english and told us his wife and child had been killed infront of him. Sad story but I didn't believe a word. Within a week of him coming his house had been turned into the local drug shop! People were there on a constant stream. Loud people, all night parties everyday. Bare in mind these are back to back houses. Our wall was covered in round holes where Davy had banged his didgeridoo to let them know we were pissed. The first time we phoned the police was when he chased someone out his house onto the front street where my niece was playing and started hacking at him with a cleaver. One night we heard a girl shouting, not that unusual but it was quiet compared to most other nights. By 4 the next day we had our windows smashed by an angry mother claiming we'd raped her daughter. Hmm, I wonder who she meant to accuse. Then he suddenly got a puppy. Now I don't know if you remember that dog called Berkeley in the news for having his ears cut off? Yep. A group of young lads found him one night in our street and gave it to my sister who lived on the other side of us. His dog that looked remarkably similar was never seen or heard yapping again. (I do believe he fully recovered and now lives on a farm. I cried for days cos I couldn't keep it. The dogs trust said they'd pay the vet bills and give him back. But it just wasn't the area for a dog)
We begged and begged to be found somewhere else to live and were told that cos we already had somewhere and didn't have kids that we were a priority so there was a 6 year waiting list so basically stuck there. So thats why we live in Huddersfield and HAD to privately rent. Davy's family still live in Leeds otherwise I would not even go to a gig there. I hate it. And am still quite saddened that the council did nothing to help us.

EDIT. Sorry for 'The Joys of Leeds' story. But thats why I think it's not such a bad thing to have shorter council contracts. Some people are in even more need of cheap and quick housing than we were. It would be nice to live in a world where there was enough to go round but we don't. I'd love our country to try communism. But all I can see in the future is the good old rich get richer and the poor get poorer.
Sad there is still no right to buy tho for those who could take part. I will never get chance to own a part of this world and at least under Thatcher I could have. Even at the expense of others needing that house more. But I guess if you don't squish someone weaker you don't get anywhere. Sad x

Last edited by pixie-egg; 23-11-2010 at 10:01 AM.
pixie-egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 11:36 PM   #6
pixie-egg
Sub Adult

Oh my I did a Rach!!!
Old 23-11-2010, 08:11 AM   #7
Pussygalore
Adult

I must admit I have mixed feelings about the new rules, it did used to be that you started in a council house then when you became a bit more affluent you brought into the private sector thus freeing up a house for someone else. Like its been said that was before the daft idea of selling the council houses now it seems like they are trying to undo whats been done but in some ways its good. I know people who have spent lots of money doing up their council houses, new kitchens etc and are well able to have brought their own house or moved to private rental, the council houses or at least I thought were always for those on low incomes who couldn't afford anything else so if people are taking advantage then surely something has to be done. My parents have lived in theirs for 50 years but its a biggish two bed house and now there is only the two of them with the housing shortage I think they should consider moving into a smaller place. They are finding it hard to do the big garden etc but instead of offering them somewhere smaller the council have now put in a wet room and extra stair rails etc to help them stay there. I think some people don't or can't make decisions for themselves and maybe they need to be pushed a bit.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2010, 12:55 PM   #8
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

it's ironic that there are 300,000 brand new empty houses in ireland that nobody can afford to buy
Old 23-11-2010, 01:20 PM   #9
pixie-egg
Sub Adult

I say give the homeless them for 3 months under help and supervision. If they abuse the situation they are booted out. If they find their feet fantastic, and then they can move on to somewhere permanent. Shame no one in power has the balls to try it. But hey, i'd make prostitution legal too. Oh and capital punishment x
Old 23-11-2010, 05:02 PM   #10
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

there are actually quite a few here too that were built in the boom and have never been sold, been empty for 2 years now. Another firm has been granted planning permission to build 100 + new homes in the same area, I don't know who's going to buy them