Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 13-04-2014, 10:11 PM   #1
LonesomeGeorge
Hatched

Post Advice

Hello all,

Haven't posted in a while, I just wanted to get some advice on how I'm looking after my three year old Horsefields Tortoise. He is active during the morning, bathes, eats, wanders but in the afternoon he sleeps a lot and doesn't bother to do anything until I wake him up. He is very stimulated when outdoors but due to the English weather, can't be out for long even when it is sunny!

He has a massive torts table, 3 spider plants, top soil (very dry) should it be slightly wet? A log hide, and bathing dish, Basking lamp and a Uv strip.

Doug seems really happy, his diet consists of: grated carrot, rocket, dandelions, a small amount of clover, some salad leaves. I also have bought Shelled Warriors seeds which are growing great.

I am also worried about his size, he is 2/3 years old, and is smaller than my palm, how big on average should he be?

I feed him as much as the size of his shell, is this enough? I have noticed tiny pyramiding, so what other food can I add to his diet? He also has calcium supplements, cuttlefish, Nutrobal etc.

Many thanks in advance for your advice!

LonesomeGeorge
LonesomeGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 09:27 AM   #2
alley cat
Adult

Maybe the lack of activity later in the day is just normal, sitting under the lamp and digesting his food.
Is the table in a sunny morning spot and as the sun moves around the table is darker? light levels affect the activity of tortoises as well as heat, the table may be slightly cooler also if the sun is moving off.
alley cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 09:28 AM   #3
LonesomeGeorge
Hatched

That might be why, thanks
LonesomeGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 11:54 AM   #4
Pussygalore
Adult

if its sunny then your tort will be able to warm himself even if the air doesn't feel to hot, they get their heat direct from the sun not the ambient air so he should be fine on a sunny day.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diet, horsefield tortoise, horsefields, weeds;tortoise;feeding