Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 09-11-2007, 06:49 PM   #31
Pussygalore
Adult

I didn't think there was anything wrong with marking the shell with a harmless marker so some sort, I've seen torts on here with a number etc on them so there must be markers that are safe to use, I'm always losing my babes in the garden and at one point even considered sticking a flag on top,
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:39 PM   #32
shelley
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussygalore
I don't agree with docking but there are a lot of breeds and breeders still practising and I'm not sure if those breeds that are usually docked would be allowed to be shown otherwise, I may be wrong on that but breeds like the boxer, certain spaniels, dobermen etc are I'm sure still done if I'm right then untill the kennel club changing its regulations then it will still go on, maybe someone knows better? but I think it is still legal for vets to dock but its up to them.
Docking was banned in April this year unfortunately. Dogs docked before the ban came in can still be shown. The RSCPA have already prosecuted a Rottie breeder who docked a litter of pups after the ban was introduced, can't remember what she got though. Dog which are going to working homes, or to certain other working jobs can be docked, but evidence has to be provided to a vet before the docking has carried out.

Going back to torts, my first experience with torts was back in the early 70's when I was about 5-6 years old. My grandad found a lovely tort wandering around outside his garden, so he brought it in and looked after it. My brother, sister and I used to walk it in my grandads veggie patch so it could eat! Unfortunately he found out it had come from across the road, so it went home again, and had a hole drilled in it's shell so it couldn't escape again.

Mum to three Newfoundlands, two Cocker Spaniels, one German Shepherd, 9 Chinchillas, and 4 Hermann's and 2 Leopards... Tortoises that is!

http://pic2.piczo.com/GalaxybearsNewfoundlands
shelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 12:51 AM   #33
Laraine
Adult

Send a message via Yahoo to Laraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussygalore
I didn't think there was anything wrong with marking the shell with a harmless marker so some sort, I've seen torts on here with a number etc on them so there must be markers that are safe to use, I'm always losing my babes in the garden and at one point even considered sticking a flag on top,
Its possible you mean some of the Heathrow Leopards, they were all given a number to help keep track of them, it was put on with water based 'tippex' or something similar, mine still have a few traces of it on their shells. you can see a bit of Oscars number in this photo, his number was 38

Laraine

Old 10-11-2007, 01:55 AM   #34
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

Send a message via MSN to wildlifewarrior

i no that alot of pet shops use plasters on there shellers then write over that, a few people use micropause on them which i wud think was ok as it is a tape that breathes and allows airflow.
wildlifewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 07:56 AM   #35
Pussygalore
Adult

si is tippex ok to use then, I have seen numbers or markings on some photos from people who have a lot of torts, I don't need to mark mine but I could imagine if you had a lot it could come in handy even if it was just the year they were born, if you can use nail varnish on our nails can't that be used on shells? I,m sure the blue peter tort wouldn't have been marked with anything that they thought harmfull, I've always thought that they tried to give good advice to children watching, or as good as the advice that was available at the time
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 07:57 AM   #36
terrypin
Adult

hi i confess to tippex its the only way for my wife to keep track of who does what when im at work so i can keep track of the daily goings on if the same tortoise is missing for 2 days in a row i will try to track them down and its the same if someone is off thier food this applys to the youngsters really and if christine has any worrys about a particular torts behaviour for example if a particular female acts gravid for a day or two then goes quiet this needs to be monitored .so some sort of marking helps me and i have never had any problems with tippex although outdoors they need remarking after a few months.

terry
Old 10-11-2007, 03:12 PM   #37
carriemags
Hatched

How could someone think that carving a name onto a live tortoise's shell was cool? Wonder if it feels like someone carving something into our finger nails?
carriemags is offline   Reply With Quote