Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 22-02-2016, 09:10 PM   #1
Thelly
Egg

Default Greenhouse

I am thinking of getting a greenhouse to house my Hermanns in from spring through to autumn but they all seem to have a UV protective type of glass/perspex. Any tips or advice?
Thelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 09:24 PM   #2
JerryMaffz
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelly View Post
I am thinking of getting a greenhouse to house my Hermanns in from spring through to autumn but they all seem to have a UV protective type of glass/perspex. Any tips or advice?
I use this stuff on Jerry's coldframe,,,
http://www.plasticstockist.com/Sunbe...lic-Sheet.aspx

It would cost a fair bit to re-glaze a greenhouse with, though you wouldn't have to do all panes.
Some would say it's not worth the additional expense but more UV can't be a bad thing.

Testudo hermanni boettgeri 1:0:0 Jerry Maffz
JerryMaffz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 09:58 PM   #3
Gordon
Adult

Have a pop hole in it and a outside run that's all you need to do apart from some heating for cold times.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 12:13 AM   #4
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Another option is to provide artificial uv inside the greenhouse. This might seem bonkers and would require electricity but the running costs wouldn't be very much.

In any case as Gordon says the tortoises must be able to go out when they need to and would be getting uv then. Typically greenhouses get far too hot at times so apart from exits to escape the heat you also get into the business of shading and ventilation.

My own theory about greenhouses is that they are very tall compared to the height that a tortoise actually uses. My garden isn't all that big and I don't want an 8 foot tall glass thing in the middle of it.
Old 24-02-2016, 04:30 AM   #5
Thelly
Egg

Thanks for your replies so far, I am re-thinking my options but please keep the comments coming
Thelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 08:13 AM   #6
sandy
Adult

My greenhouses have UV lamps for heating and are both bubble wrapped to help keep some heat in, and the Summer glare off of the tortoises.
If I am honest I dont worry to much about UV with my adult tortoises, as they can come and go as they please, so get more natural UV than I can provide anyway.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 04:44 PM   #7
Daryn
Hatchling

On another torte forum they are using a clear plastic film, the sort that you get on polytunnels as certain types allow uv through

My travel site and forum www.majorcaforum.com
Daryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 05:35 PM   #8
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryn View Post
On another torte forum they are using a clear plastic film, the sort that you get on polytunnels as certain types allow uv through
Total waste of time and money as long as they can have access to outside they will get more than enough uv also it has a shelf life so can't quite see the point.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 06:15 PM   #9
Suze65
Adult

Not sure why you need a greenhouse with glass that the uv can get through, if they can go outside when they want, which they will most of the time , unless it's really cold. They will get enough uv. I don't give mine any extra uv in the summer, they are out all the time, they have cold frames to warm up in if it's cooler and solid water tight boxes, but they choose to be out most of the time, even in the rain.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 06:26 PM   #10
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze65 View Post
Not sure why you need a greenhouse with glass that the uv can get through, if they can go outside when they want, which they will most of the time , unless it's really cold. They will get enough uv. I don't give mine any extra uv in the summer, they are out all the time, they have cold frames to warm up in if it's cooler and solid water tight boxes, but they choose to be out most of the time, even in the rain.
I think the only time you really need the UV through glass/plastic is if you kept hatchlings or young tortoises in the GH as well.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote