Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 20-04-2010, 08:48 PM   #11
Steph37
Hatched

Hi Sherri,
I have two 11 year old Herman males, and they so 'fight' at times (although this year I think they have sorted out their differences)
Unless I've not read carefully you dont actually say that either is injured? Assuming you have hiding spaces, big enough for one to get away from the other, and shrubs etc, then I've found that they fought for dominance. I have to say that I dont think either is dominant (this may be a natural impossibility, I dont know)-but for the last three years they have had episodes (note episodes-it doesnt happen all the time, usually if it rains-as water 'turns them on', or on very hot days) of biting [back] legs, mounting each other and squeaking with mouths open-as in mating behaviour, and then the thing that probably worries you, (but from which I have never had any injuries despite the fact that if seperated they will 'butt' and shatter large terracotta pots when 'in the mood') facing each other, pulling backwards with heads in and absolutely clashing shells to the point where you can hear them through closed doors. I seperate them if it gets really bad; they have one enclosure but I've managed to plant it up well and it happens to be on a slant in the garden which annoyed me for a start but is brill as they have a gap to get from one part of the enclosure into the other, which means I just keep a supply of bricks to put in between the two parts if they need seperating.
However, on the occasions I do seperate them, they refuse to eat and just want to get to each other, so sometimes I let one out into the main garden (out of the pen) so that they cant smell each other. Whichever one is taken out, the other paces frantically and will refuse to eat. When I come home they are invariably asleep together, they dont leave each others side. They were rehomed (captive bred) together but started fighting for dominance, or maybe just practising their prowess! about 4 years ago (this is year 4) I would say the first year they had to be seperated 50% of the time, as three years ago-last year when I moved and had this new pen which they love I would say although they did this still it was very much occasional; this year they have had a couple of half hearted attempts but they seem to be settled now. I really cant say which one is dominant-I would be interested to see if there has to be a dominant one or whether they can be on an equal footing. I would see if you could try planting the pen up-putting in lots of hides, and maybe using some sort of portable division-you may find they're like mine & actually seem quite attached to each other.
I must add that both tortoises are the same size, weight & age-obviously this is an advantage. Steph
Steph37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 11:59 PM   #12
shellonia
Sub Adult

I was told today by our mutual friend S K that male tortoises usually only continue to fight if they can smell females.otherwise they mostly settle their differences if you persevere.Some never do and if so must live separately on a permanent basis.It's most unlikely as people have said that you will find a female hermanni hermanni
shellonia is offline   Reply With Quote