Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 02-12-2013, 05:25 PM   #1
p-baggins
Egg

Default Substrate advice

Hi guys,

This is my first post on this site as i'm a recent tortoise convert. My friend recently passed on a 7 year old Hermann tortoise to me as they can no longer look after her. She's called Meryl and so far I can't stop looking out for her and trying to make her comfortable, well fed etc.

I have her in a vivarium, which is plenty big enough for her (this is due to having 3 very nosey and adventurous cats) I work split shifts so she is always out of her home at least 2-4 hours a day to keep her active.

My question is: Recently she has been digging up her substrate and scratching the sides of the wooden Viv. She has a mix of sawdust chippings and multi purpose compost. The previous owners have used this for her entire 7 year life but I feel she's not too pleased with it. Is the digging natural and is there any other type of substrate that you can recommend as I've seen so many posts and pictures that show different types been used.

Thanks in advance!
Phil
p-baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #2
lonelylayla
Sub Adult

Firstly, hello and welcome to the forum to you and Meryl For substrate, would change to topsoil or topsoil mix with coir or sand. Different people use different things but chip is not generally recommended. How big is the viv compared to Meryl? It may well be a lack of space that is causing her to dig or the time of year If you pop up some photos of your set up it will be easier to advise

TG Terresteris 1:3:1 Apollo & Layla, Santa, Helpa & Unig
TG Iberia 2:3:0 Tonka, LJ, Persephone, Cleo & Clyde
Saffron TGG RIP Jaunary 2019
Jasper, Harry & Ruby pussy cats
4 ex bat hens.
lonelylayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:04 AM   #3
Suze65
Adult

Hi Phil and welcome! Lynne is absolutely right, wood chip isn't good for torts as it doesn't hold any moisture and this creates some humidity, which helps keep them hydrated.as said sterilised top soil or coco coir or a mix or the two, personally I wouldn't use any sand.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
emma_mcraf
Adult

Welcome to the forum Phil. Just to agree with what Lynne and Suze have said, go for sterilised topsoil, coco coir or a mixture of the two.
It'd be lovely to see photos of Meryl when you get the chance. We love adoring tortoise piccies on here.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #5
Gordon
Adult

Hello and welcome as the others have said i would go for soil can you let us know how big your viv is so we can advise you on the correct set up for it
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:22 PM   #6
DarkClaw
Egg

Hi,

personally i go for a top soil/playsand combo, i would also not use vivs.
DarkClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #7
p-baggins
Egg

Hi everyone. Thank you for the welcoming messages.
I agree with not using a viv but sadly due to my current living situation it has to be, although in a few months time i'm hoping to move which will enable Meryl to get a new home too.

Thanks for recommending top soil its what I thought of but wasn't sure. Is there a difference with sterilised top soil or this something you can pick up from say homebase and garden centres?

The tank is approx around 32x25x25 inch. I shall try upload a photo. The photo of her tank is an old one and have stopped using that amount of wood chip. I have also added a few plants and a shelter. Personally I don't think her previous set up (smaller viv) was very good so I want to improve her future.

Phil

Old 04-12-2013, 07:29 PM   #8
p-baggins
Egg

Hi guys,

Thanks for the great welcome, it made Meryl smile! I posted a reply on here with pictures but it appear not to have posted so i'm trying again.

I don't agree with a viv but due to my current living situations i have to keep her in there. Its approx 30"x25"x25" inches. I let her out at least 2-3 hours a day and keep the glass a jar to allow air flow when i'm in the room.

I was thinking of top soil. Is there difference with sterilised on and none? does anywhere no any good online shops that sell it as i'm struggling to find any in my local area (Leeds).

here are a few photos of Meryl. The image of the viv is an old one and i definitly don't use that much sawdust. I have also added a shelter and plants for her to climb on (she loves climbing).

Phil

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps5759230b.jpg

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/x...psb57aa6d5.jpg

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/x...psb66d5ac4.jpg
Old 05-12-2013, 03:58 PM   #9
CherryBrandy
Adult

I'm not expert on vivs but I would say that the size you quote and looking at the picky the viv is a tad too small and probably gets a bit too hot, and perhaps humid. Is there a dimmer switch on the heat? From many years ago I have always been led to believe that a tortoise about 8 - 10 inches long would be happy & healthy in around 2.4 x 2.4 metres square area - I stand to be corrected as I know there is probably a lot of literature out there since and I appreciate this refers to an outside area - the larger the better of course, but knowledge of this is why owners should plan for the future!
i have come across where wood chip can 'blow up' inside the tortoise if eaten by mistake - avoidance best cure. On a positive note - she is lovely and I am sure with some tlc, bit of planning as you mention and an enclosure outside for optimum natural VitD she will flourish. CB
Old 05-12-2013, 05:01 PM   #10
p-baggins
Egg

I clearly stand corrected on the viv been a good size too her. I always thought it was the case. As i inherited it from someone I have what they have left so now she's mine I will be giving her loads of TLC!
I have changed her substrate to top soil from your recommendations so thank and lets see how she takes too it. The thought of wood chip 'blowing up' inside her is dreadful and will never use it again.

My thermostat is a Habistat dimming one and i have the heat bulb set at 28 degrees. Is this correct or shall i change it?