Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 10-09-2007, 09:21 PM   #41
hels
Egg

I have been doing this for 13 years now - we have a childminding network down here which helps a lot when it comes to OFSTED. We are still being inspected under the Birth to Three until the summer of next year - so no point taking extra training until then. If I can offer any hints on your planning just PM me.
0.1.1 Leopard
0.0.1 Testudo Whitei
0.0.2 Indian Star
2 corn snakes, 3 daughters and a Yorkshire husband
hels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 10:12 PM   #42
tortoiseguy
Sub Adult

Most areas are running free training now, and a lot of nursery settings are starting the new foundation stage a year early. Might be worth attending the training if its free even if it is a year early. Its supposed to be pretty good
tortoiseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 10:23 PM   #43
helen1
Sub Adult

Yes, as I am a pretty bright old lady. I do not struggle with the understanding of it all, I just find the amount of time spent(and govt monies) detracts from doing and enjoying. I love my two charges to bits and have more patience/time than with my own, for me it is also slightly different as they are also my grandchildren. OFSTED however will no longer allow grandparents to care for thier grandchildren after sept 2008, in the sense that they cannot be paid that is.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:30 PM   #44
tortoiseguy
Sub Adult

I know what you mean, the amount of time on trianing and paperwork could be better spent with the children. However it is good that the care is standardised to some extent, as not all minders and providers are as good and will benefit from the updated guidance and inspection. The new foundation stage replaces the old one and birth to 3 matters which was always a bit confusing. I didnt know that about grandparents, that seems mad, but I suppose registered childminders all have to have the same experience regardless of links to the children. The problem is how many do it without registration!
tortoiseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:53 AM   #45
Jacqui
Incubating

Send a message via Yahoo to Jacqui

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ
That's the way I handle it when I have officials visit. If there is nothing to hide there is nothing to worry about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn
You should say "At last!!! Someone to show my torts off to"
I think I worry more when there is nothing I know I am doing wrong. It's the worry about what did I goof up on now thoughts. Of course even when not speeding, just seeing a cop car normally causes my foot head to the brakes...
Jacqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:55 AM   #46
Jacqui
Incubating

Send a message via Yahoo to Jacqui

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen1
You send DEFRA to me and I will send OFSTED to you!!! My first inspection(registration) was nerve wracking and now Birth to Three Matters is out of the window and Foundation whatsit is in!! Diaries linking this to that, planning. Not as easy as tort keeping, although torts take more of my time the theory accounts etc are no where near as tedious. Now after 3 yrs I have to redo some of the training grrrr

Nothing to hide on either score but would find DEFRA LESS STRESSFUL!!!
Wow sounds like you guys take this stuff pretty seriously. I know in this area there is hardly anything to getting a license. Seems maybe on this we could learn a bit from your country.
Jacqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2007, 07:53 PM   #47
hels
Egg

My DEFRA Inspection has now taken place. It lasted over an hour. The two Inspectors were very friendly and helpful. They made me feel at ease and despite my nerves it seemed to be just a run-of-the-mill fact finding mission.

The Inspectors weighed, took measurements and took 5 photographs of each of the 4 tortoises and checked whether they were captive bred. They also weighed and took measurements of the other 9 tortoises (Both Annex A and B). The Inspectors also asked if there were any other pets and my snakes were given the once over. The Inspectors were also able to confirm the sex of all of the tortoises (which was very useful).

My tortoises behaved very well - apart from refusing to stand still for the photographs and pooing at the wrong times

The Inspectors said that DEFRA are inspecting more and more would-be breeders and that if you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to worry about. So no worries! I will now be inspected on a regular basis. So who's next?
0.1.1 Leopard
0.0.1 Testudo Whitei
0.0.2 Indian Star
2 corn snakes, 3 daughters and a Yorkshire husband
hels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2007, 08:02 PM   #48
helen1
Sub Adult

Excellent I am so pleased for you. no one who cares for their torts as people on here, for the most part, do could possibly have anything to worry about. I never intend to breed so I doubt I will meet them but if I do I would be proud to show them my torts and their lovely homes.

Well done and sleep well tonight!
Old 13-09-2007, 08:07 PM   #49
linda
Adult

im very pleased that your inspection went so well
linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2007, 08:08 PM   #50
laine21
Hatchling

Glad it all went well for you, but there was never any doubts. Hope you feel better about it now its all over. As for the poops, tortoises will be tortoises, at least the inspectors know you are feeding them!

4 Leopard Tortoises, 2 Baby Herman Hatchlings, 2 dogs, 1 guinea pig, 2 daughters and 1 incredibly wonderful patient partner!
laine21 is offline   Reply With Quote