Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Old 30-01-2008, 06:13 PM   #11
joathome
Adult

I wouldnt kill it anyway, my OH will get it out of house when he gets in, he normaly takes them up the road so they dont come back
Old 30-01-2008, 06:31 PM   #12
gtm
Hatchling

I saw a documentary on Discovery about Giant Hornets in Japan last year. Awesome and very frightening. They had footage of a mob of them raiding a bee's nest to collect the lavae. The native japanese honey bees have evolved a method of dealing with them. They swarm the scout hornet and flap thier wings vigorously which raises the hornets body temperature to the extent that she dies and cannot report back to her nest. European Honey Bee's cant do this.
gtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 07:00 PM   #13
DAISY
Adult

Stells if I was dead you could be me reincarnated . First the moths now wasps . I'm the same, arms flying, hurdling anything in my path to escape, very embarrasing to watch. I am allergic to their stings mind. Is'nt it anoying when people tell you to stay still. My brother is a man of iron when it comes to wasps, just lets them crawl on him 8)
We have a wasp nest in our loft, its been there since we moved in, I just dont go in their in the summer and as long as they keep to their territory they can stay.We also have a bees nest in a garden shed, but this year they seemed to come out dying and where crawling everywhere all summer, bit of a nightmare with the dogs. I have heard that bees are dying of which is a very bad thing. Why cant it be the wasps
Ive got one of those rackets that I use for flies Toni, I feel cruel using it, but one of my daughters is terrified of flies after being swarmed on by mossies when she was smaller.

Mum to 12 horsfields, 2 redfoots, 2 spur-thighed, 4 dogs, 1 cat, 1 guinea pig, 3 chipmunks, 3 african pygmy hedgehogs, 4 bearded dragons, 1 goldfish. 2 daughters and 1 husband.
DAISY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 07:12 PM   #14
Toni115
Adult

hey Rach, unfortunately I too have a thing about flies...cant help it i'm afraid, what doesnt help is the man next doors garden covered in dog poo, which in the summer causes no end of probs right behind my back door - especially worrying as thats where my rabbit lives If I dont get rid of them I get infested with them. Its either that or keep my back door shut all summer and I cant do that
Old 30-01-2008, 07:16 PM   #15
DAISY
Adult

Same prob here Toni, I am very thorough about cleaning up our dogs poops, have to be with beagles, but the same cant be said for one of my neighbours. My house get full of flies in the summer, big horrible things and its a nightmare. I even put up those ugly strip things on my doors to keep them out, but they still get in.

Mum to 12 horsfields, 2 redfoots, 2 spur-thighed, 4 dogs, 1 cat, 1 guinea pig, 3 chipmunks, 3 african pygmy hedgehogs, 4 bearded dragons, 1 goldfish. 2 daughters and 1 husband.
DAISY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 07:30 PM   #16
Toni115
Adult

Oh thank goodness for that!! someone else knows how I feel, I hate it in the summer especially when people come in the house and theres flies in my kitchen!! I find myself having to explain myself incase they think I am a dirty person, it makes me really paranoid
whats even more awful is the smell that comes from my neighbours house when he has his back door open!! Its really embarrassing cos it comes in my house, mix that with the flies and its vile
Old 30-01-2008, 07:36 PM   #17
joathome
Adult

Its gone
Old 30-01-2008, 07:47 PM   #18
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

Send a message via MSN to wildlifewarrior

all that fuss over nothing...tut tut tut
wildlifewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 07:58 PM   #19
joathome
Adult

well i thought you would of rushed down and saved me chritian , the OH took it over the field and let it go
Old 30-01-2008, 08:14 PM   #20
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

Send a message via MSN to wildlifewarrior

lol, i travel no where for no one.
wildlifewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote