Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 19-08-2011, 09:18 PM   #1
Wendy
Hatched

Default Outdoor Housing

Hi for the first time i have been keeping my tortoises out 24/7. With the cooler nights coming we have started insulating the shed using bubble wrap with ply wood over, its a small playhouse we are using as housing.

We now need to get some background heat for the colder nights as they will probably stay out until hibernation. What sort of wattage will i need and what do others here use, ceramic heat emitors, tubular heaters or both. I have already got the thermostat and a combined bulb for days when extra heat is needed.

Thanks

Wendy
Wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 09:21 PM   #2
RacingSnake
Hatchling

Send a message via MSN to RacingSnake

I've got a 250W ceramic heater in mine, and can tell you it is f*cking hot - as can be seen by the red mark on my hand today

I went for the bigger heater on the basis that I can turn the heat down, but if I had a smaller heater I can't turn it up.... if you know what I mean.

I used heat reflective thermal wrapping and reflective tape for my insulation
    {_}-{_}                    {_}-{_}
RacingSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 08:29 PM   #3
Wendy
Hatched

Hi thanks for the reply what holder do you use for the bulb if it gets that hot.

PS hope your hand feels better
Old 21-08-2011, 06:14 PM   #4
kkenny
Sub Adult

Good question, I am thinking of the same idea from Spring next year

Spartacus, THB, March 2013
Henry, THB, July 2008
kkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 12:15 PM   #5
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

you need a ceramic holder fit for 250watts. There are a few on the market. I reckon best use a pulse proportional or intelligent thermostat with one of those to get the best out of it.

The ceramic heat emitters are quite cheap and they last a very long time. Its the electricity that can work out expensive depending how cold the weather gets.

Also as said above, take care if you are touching the CRE to see if it's on. I have also had that experience...........................

Last edited by Ozric Jonathan; 22-08-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Ozric Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 08:07 AM   #6
RacingSnake
Hatchling

Send a message via MSN to RacingSnake

sorry about the slow reply, I've been away - but it's been said above.
I've got a ceramic holder mounted on one of those 'arcadia' lamp brackets which I have bent at an angle.

Not sure on the type of thermostat I have, it's a "Thermocontrol Pro 2" I think.
Seems to work pretty well, checked it this morning and it was at 20 degrees warmer than my house
    {_}-{_}                    {_}-{_}
RacingSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 10:14 AM   #7
Pussygalore
Adult

tubulars are best in a larger house such as a shed etc as you can get one the length of the shed and they are ok on a thermostat, a ceramic is ideal for smaller houses such as kennels etc but wouldn't be enough to heat a large house simply because of its small size. Tubulars aren't costly (ebay) and one 6ft one kept our shed at our last place lovely and warm at night, I now have low watt ceramics as we now have kennel size housing. We used to have two combined suspended bulbs in the shed for daytime use even though the torts had outside access, one tip is to make the exit doorway as small as poss (less drafts) and double glaze any windows with perpsex, also don't forget to insulate the floor, we used sheet polystyrene then a peice of ply on top. You can also hang thick plastic at the door the torts will soon learn to push through it as long as they can see through. Just noticed, you can't use a thermostat with a combined bulb you'll blow the bulb, don't worry about the house getting to warm though when its on, the torts will come out if it gets to hot.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 07:09 PM   #8
Wendy
Hatched

Cheers everyone for the ideas and suggestions been busy insulating again today have been using layers of bubble wrap toped with polystyrene backed heat reflective sheets and topped with plywood.

Hope this is ok and will retain some of the heat.