Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 05-06-2017, 04:53 PM   #1
Loagsmum
Egg

Unhappy RI in my baby spur thighed tort

Hello, this is my first time here as I am a little worried about my small one, s/he is 8 months and we have had him for 5 weeks and he is fed on weeds, crispy mix with a little watercress. His substrate is tortoise life med and he has a full spec Arcadia lamp (warm side 90-95)
He is eating and toileting as normal but has been squeaking and today had a bubble from his nose, he saw the vet 2 weeks ago for an initial check over that seemed normal and so he went back today the vet has said he seemed ok but as I saw a bubble has given us antibiotics
What else can I do to help this?
Loagsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 09:20 PM   #2
Merlin M
Adult

Had he been eating ir drinking right before the bubble?

Generally it is advisable to keep up the temps overnight when on antibiotics to help them work.

About all the advice I can give, but good luck hope he is ok!
Merlin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 09:29 PM   #3
Loagsmum
Egg

Hi, thank you for your reply, he had been eating but truth be told isn't as much of a drinker. I have put the temps up in his house,
M
Old 06-06-2017, 08:52 PM   #4
CherryBrandy
Adult

sorry to hear this. Bubbles are an indicator all is not well. 90 - 95 is far too high for a longer sustained heat (basking), you need to aim for 87 - 89 which is 30 - 32 degrees and keep some humidity in the area. Aim around 65 - 68 %.
Respiratory disease or irritation can happen due to very dry conditions (bit like us in air con or radiator filled houses, we and they need natural free of radicals air flow). Bubbles are either (in general terms runny nose syndrome), fungal, bacterial or stress (weather ) related. squeaky clicking noise can also be a foreign body on roof of mouth so not necessarily ill health and bubbles can be generated because of inflammation. I appreciate when on anti biotics it is wise to keep the temps up and sustained but without evidence to suggest this is a bacterial, fungal or (hot dry air, and therefore stress on the immune related condition my advice would be ditch the substrate, it is lethal to small torts if they ingest (foreign body and irritation causes muscus to form), get some more natural substrate not man made and keep a cool end. My little one in sick bay, who is smaller than normal has had RNS for a year now and I am convinced it is stress (weather related) even though he gets worse outside I make sure he gets plenty of fresh , warm air which longer term is the ideal. Hope this helps, post away though for more views, CB
Old 06-06-2017, 09:51 PM   #5
Loagsmum
Egg

Hi, thank you so much for your advice, firstly I will lower the basking temp, can you advise me on what is the best substrate for small ones? I was advised this was what to go for so now I haven't a clue.
Thank you