Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 16-11-2015, 05:36 PM   #1
rupert
Egg

Default Warm November

I'm curious about those of you who put your torts into hibernation a few weeks ago. I assume they wouldn't sleep even in outside garages etc. as the temperature probably didn't get down below 10 degrees C?
I haven't given Pushkin any food for several weeks waiting for the weather to cool down and I now worry he might need a bit of greenery.
Old 16-11-2015, 06:25 PM   #2
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupert View Post
I'm curious about those of you who put your torts into hibernation a few weeks ago. I assume they wouldn't sleep even in outside garages etc. as the temperature probably didn't get down below 10 degrees C?
I haven't given Pushkin any food for several weeks waiting for the weather to cool down and I now worry he might need a bit of greenery.
Mine are still down outside in my greenhouse.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 06:41 PM   #3
Gordon
Adult

Some of mine a out in the greenhouse and very much awake hopefully this week is going to get colder and they might give in.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 07:39 PM   #4
alley cat
Adult

Mine are in the greenhouse, the earth temperature does not fluctuate much at all so because have dug in they are fine, they are in an inner enclosed area which is covered with a blanket etc.
alley cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 07:44 PM   #5
Jan W
Sub Adult

My two are still awake too and as they go a bit dozy in September very late. Hoping this week will cool down.
Jan
Jan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 08:12 PM   #6
tortydat
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupert View Post
Mine all went down at the end of October in my garage and haven't stirred since despite the temperature so fingers crossed they stay that way! Mary
tortydat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 05:43 AM   #7
Stellanne
Hatchling

Mine are still tucked up in the soil in the greenhouse and Tort Lodge. From what I understand it isn't only the temps that induce hibernation it is also the lengths of the days and atmospheric pressure. Not sure how this all works but someone once said that. X x x. Hugs x x x
Stellanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 07:13 AM   #8
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellanne View Post
Mine are still tucked up in the soil in the greenhouse and Tort Lodge. From what I understand it isn't only the temps that induce hibernation it is also the lengths of the days and atmospheric pressure. Not sure how this all works but someone once said that. X x x. Hugs x x x
Can you tell my hermans that they are all still very much awake
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 09:00 AM   #9
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellanne View Post
Yes its the light levels that get tortoises up and go to bed:0)
The heat just gets them going:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 03:03 PM   #10
Pussygalore
Adult

they predict a cold spell at the end of the week so that's the best time to put them down as you can get the box/whatever nice and cold and if you put some sort of insulation around it you should be able to keep it cold. We made a sort of box under a shelf in the brick shed, it was then insulated and the torts hibernation box went inside, the front of the area was removable but also insulated ie board with insulation on one side, when we knew we were having a cold night the shed windows were left open and the area allowed to get cold, once cold the front was put back up and it stayed cold inside, we used loft insulation. The shed had a tubular heater on a thermostat.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote