Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 26-09-2015, 08:21 AM   #11
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuna1971 View Post
Just want to suggest to double check your temps, Hollie. Are you using an infrared thermometer to read them - or one of the round dial face ones.
The digital infrared ones are the ones to use for accuracy. I can post a link to suggestions of where to buy and type if you need them.
The round dial face ones are not accurate and can be difficult to read and easily can be misread.
The reason I ask this is 60w does not seem like a bulb that would give 33 degrees reading at basking spot. It's quite a low wattage bulb you have there so this is why I'm just making sure the temp reading is right. I think switching down should be treated with caution as it will get colder soon. Let us know about how your measuring the temps xx
Yes definitely check that out because 60w or 40w gives off hardly any heat especially if ambient temps are low and tort isn't directly underneath. Also I wonder what temp you may be bathing at ? with the IR mine have always been 30'c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
I think it's better to adjust the height of the bulb than changing it for a lower watt one?

Apparently a higher watt bulb from a greater distance, is better for a tort than a lower watt closer to them.
yes based on requirements, UV , ambient....radius...etc CB
Old 26-09-2015, 10:55 AM   #12
yuna1971
Adult

I still find it hard to fathom that a 60watt bulb is registering temps of 33 degrees. The height must be literally right on top of the tort or a very very short distance.
Maybe I'm wrong ................xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 02:36 PM   #13
CherryBrandy
Adult

id be a little cautious if too close too then. I use a clip on 60w on waking up one of mine who walks round the conservatory after hibernation - mostly for illumination and because he wont sit still anyway, and 60w gives out a teeny bit of heat which warms up the air slightly - but that is a non heated area anyway and usually just warms the towel a tad so he knows where to go back to. no where near, 33 be lucky to get 12'c - but as I say that's a cold patch not house temps also. CB
Old 26-09-2015, 05:54 PM   #14
Hollie
Egg

Hi, I am using the digital thermometers that has 2 ends on and I have recorded them in the different ends using this. I will see if I can post a picture of the set up I have. Underneath the basking lamp I have stones and I have recorded the temp between them so not directly on the slate stones which heat up over time (if your with me?)

Hollie
Hollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 06:03 PM   #15
Hollie
Egg

I'm sorry I don't know how to post a picture onto this site 😖
Old 26-09-2015, 06:21 PM   #16
Wyannis
Hatchling

It can be tricky Hollie. You need to use photo bucket or something similar and copy the IMG code.
Wyannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 06:52 PM   #17
Hollie
Egg

I'm on an iPad so I probably won't be able to install that. And I can't copy and paste
Old 26-09-2015, 08:57 PM   #18
yuna1971
Adult

There's an app for photobucket. Any of the photo sharing websites should be fine if using the IMG 'link' code. xx

Lily's Movie.
Old 30-09-2015, 03:06 PM   #19
Hollie
Egg

Hi everyone, I am sure I posted a reply sooner but it must not have been published? Tamsin has eaten only a little as I ventured down to my local park and picked some leaves. Still turning her nose up to certain foods and still plodding back to her bed.
I used the digital thermometers which are double ended so that I could take both readings. I am consulting with my vet but I am still unsure why she is behaving this way. They have ruled out parasites and her shell seems fine. She is growing also.
Still worried.
Old 30-09-2015, 03:26 PM   #20
yuna1971
Adult

If you could show pictures of your set up and perhaps a pic of the thermometer. Also, where in the table are you measuring and what is the position of the table - ie by a door, by a window, is it in a big room/small room. Don't worry Hollie, we can keep trying to figure it out xx

Lily's Movie.