Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 19-08-2018, 06:54 AM   #11
TessaRuth
Egg

Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply with such useful information. Very much appreciated. Quite clearly, 'knowing your tortoise' is the key thing and that's the bit I'm uncertain on at the moment. One more question, if you don't mind. I live in southern England. I've noticed that my tortoise seems to have become a bit more sleepy. We've only had him for two weeks but when he arrived, he would stay up until about 1930 but now beds down at about 1600 even though heat and UV lamps are still on. I've done a bit of reading and this suggests that 'in late summer/early Autumn, you will notice your tortoise becoming more sleepy in preparation for hibernation.' Is this likely what he's doing, do you think? Otherwise, when he is awake, he is active and likes a run round the garden. Thank you so much again.
TessaRuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 12:22 PM   #12
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by TessaRuth View Post
Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply with such useful information. Very much appreciated. Quite clearly, 'knowing your tortoise' is the key thing and that's the bit I'm uncertain on at the moment. One more question, if you don't mind. I live in southern England. I've noticed that my tortoise seems to have become a bit more sleepy. We've only had him for two weeks but when he arrived, he would stay up until about 1930 but now beds down at about 1600 even though heat and UV lamps are still on. I've done a bit of reading and this suggests that 'in late summer/early Autumn, you will notice your tortoise becoming more sleepy in preparation for hibernation.' Is this likely what he's doing, do you think? Otherwise, when he is awake, he is active and likes a run round the garden. Thank you so much again.
I would say it possibly is but there is also a possibility that it is getting away from the heat, that will depend on if your temperatures at the hot end and cool end are okay. We've had a great summer here and mine have been going into their shelters (which are roof ridge tiles) or under the bushes in the hottest parts of the day. They are not actually sleeping they are only keeping out the heat.
BTW, when you get to 5 posts posted your posts are no longer moderated so just 2 more
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 01:05 PM   #13
Jan W
Sub Adult

My two are going to bed much earlier now too.

Not sure they appreciate the drop in temperature either. Not eating as much, whereas during the heat wave I felt I couldn't keep up.

Beatrice has decided to go into her indoor house. They have this inbuilt system, as it is very dark in there, but when I opened the door she was already up and walking to come out. Whereas Bertie was in the greenhouse under his towel and not moving.
Old 19-08-2018, 03:22 PM   #14
TessaRuth
Egg

Thank you both. This is a very steep learning curve but I'm going to get it right. Just so useful to know my tortoise is 'normal' and that there is a wide variation in that definition. As always, very grateful for your support.
TessaRuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 09:30 PM   #15
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I am back to the point now (the same as in Spring) where I'm bringing them into the greenhouse each night and they go straight into the tub of soil that they will eventually hibernate in. There are some days I don't even put them out, I just let them go about in the greenhouse where it's warmer. One day about 10 days ago we had hailstones followed by sleet and thunder and lightning. I've witnessed hailstones before in summer but never sleet. A few consecutive cold nights outside and they would be hibernating. Last year one went down in the first week or so of September with the other one a month later and they hibernated for over 6 months due to the extended winter but were absolutely fine
Old 20-08-2018, 09:40 PM   #16
Jan W
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan1 View Post
I am back to the point now (the same as in Spring) where I'm bringing them into the greenhouse each night and they go straight into the tub of soil that they will eventually hibernate in. There are some days I don't even put them out, I just let them go about in the greenhouse where it's warmer. One day about 10 days ago we had hailstones followed by sleet and thunder and lightning. I've witnessed hailstones before in summer but never sleet. A few consecutive cold nights outside and they would be hibernating. Last year one went down in the first week or so of September with the other one a month later and they hibernated for over 6 months due to the extended winter but were absolutely fine
Alan - what temperatures are you experiencing?

Bertie stayed snuggled into the soil under the towel in the green house, temp 29.4 at 3pm. It was lovely outside, sun shining and warm. He was fast asleep and hadn't been up. I got him up, gave him a bath and then he was lively and walking round and eating. I had wanted him to do his own thing, but it seems rather early with this lovely weather. Beatrice was up as usual.
Old 20-08-2018, 09:41 PM   #17
sandy
Adult

Quote:
We all have to take into consideration our own area and temps when keeping tortoises.
So its always useful to state where abouts keepers are, and to get as many replies from different areas:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 11:26 PM   #18
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan W View Post
Alan - what temperatures are you experiencing?

Bertie stayed snuggled into the soil under the towel in the green house, temp 29.4 at 3pm. It was lovely outside, sun shining and warm. He was fast asleep and hadn't been up. I got him up, gave him a bath and then he was lively and walking round and eating. I had wanted him to do his own thing, but it seems rather early with this lovely weather. Beatrice was up as usual.
Daytime we've been having about 15c lately with no sun but last week we had 25c one day and the sun was not fully out! Today it got to 20c on my car thermometer when the sun got out but it didn't last before the rain came and back down to 17c. In the greenhouse at 10.20pm tonight it's 16.3c and they can burrow down if they want inside the tub but mostly they've been sitting on top of the soil still.
I'm in South East Scotland
Old 21-08-2018, 08:46 AM   #19
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Daytime we've been having about 15c lately with no sun but last week we had 25c one day and the sun was not fully out! Today it got to 20c on my car thermometer when the sun got out but it didn't last before the rain came and back down to 17c. In the greenhouse at 10.20pm tonight it's 16.3c and they can burrow down if they want inside the tub but mostly they've been sitting on top of the soil still.
I'm in South East Scotland
Our temps have been 23c - 26c for the last three months or more:0)
I am in the SE of England:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 08:49 AM   #20
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Thick fog this morning and 16.1 in the greenhouse. It's to be dull all day but 20c. It's back to school day today for the local children