Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 23-02-2019, 10:20 AM   #21
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan1 View Post
We've had pretty mild temperatures for over a week now, 12c yesterday and 14c forecast today but much warmer in the greenhouse of course if the sun is out. I had a look a while back in the tub of soil and they have moved from the spots where they buried down originally. I can see the top of the shell of one of them but I'm letting them just come out themselves. With the insulation round the tub of soil, any change in temps is very gradual so although it can get very warm in the greenhouse there's not much of a change in the tub.
The fact the they move around in there during hibernation would always make me wary about the fridge method. Do they need to move around to keep their joints from seizing up or what?
Tshirt weather again ! surprised to see the weather in Scotland is around 18 in some parts ! that's amazing and how lovely. Yes I worry about their legs etc if it were fridge and too closed boxes. I have a big tortoise who has a swollen leg (prior to arriving) and I make sure he moves it throughout hibernation in case it gets 'sat on'. I supposed their regulating works so different to our blood stream etc. I always thought for instance if a crocodile loses its leg it heals up, seals up, not massive blood loss etc.

(Yvonne not ignoring you but I could go 50 / 50 on your suggestion so thought best left to someone who knows as it wouldn't help ! ),
Old 23-02-2019, 11:12 PM   #22
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Another 14c day today. It actually made 17c yesterday and in Aberdeenshire it was the warmest temperature ever recorded in Scotland for a February day, 18. something c

Last edited by Alan1; 23-02-2019 at 11:16 PM.
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 10:47 AM   #23
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan1 View Post
Another 14c day today. It actually made 17c yesterday and in Aberdeenshire it was the warmest temperature ever recorded in Scotland for a February day, 18. something c
Not sure what the temperature was yesterday but it was very warm in the greenhouse.
Even my Burmese browns were out till 5ish.
The leopards even ventured out and just sat in the sun looking very happy.

It looks like it's going to be nice today once the mist has lifted I might even plant some seeds.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 04:45 PM   #24
Suze65
Adult

Ridiculously warm here today.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 06:00 PM   #25
emma_mcraf
Adult

Mist to start and then really nice here. With a fleece on still but I went without the gloves!

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 08:42 PM   #26
CherryBrandy
Adult

52 in the greenhouse today ! I think the temp gauge was in direct sun though. My Horsfield girlies were out eating lots and sunbathing but the spurs a little shy.
I have got night time warmth for the spurs overnight if I bring them in but I am thinking I am on hiding to nothing because they don't stay under it, they wander down to bottom end of run which is unheated. Conservatory goes down to 5 degrees but by morning they are chomping at the bit to get back out again.
Do you think its worth coming indoors or should I leave them out in their secure houses? they are all wrapped up in shredded newspaper and Horsfields never complain if its cold....CB
Old 27-02-2019, 08:31 PM   #27
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

My pair both appeared from hibernation today without any encouragement. The were both sitting basking in the greenhouse. Amazing how they both just pop up on the same day after 5 and a half months. The problem now is it's to turn cold tomorrow and for a week or 2
Old 27-02-2019, 08:35 PM   #28
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
52 in the greenhouse today ! I think the temp gauge was in direct sun though. My Horsfield girlies were out eating lots and sunbathing but the spurs a little shy.
I have got night time warmth for the spurs overnight if I bring them in but I am thinking I am on hiding to nothing because they don't stay under it, they wander down to bottom end of run which is unheated. Conservatory goes down to 5 degrees but by morning they are chomping at the bit to get back out again.
Do you think its worth coming indoors or should I leave them out in their secure houses? they are all wrapped up in shredded newspaper and Horsfields never complain if its cold....CB
Don't know what's best. I'm going to have to check that mine have gone back in the soil tub each night as it's to be 1c at nights next week, snow coming on Monday
Old 02-03-2019, 04:01 PM   #29
Suze65
Adult

Even though it’s gone a bit cooler, slowly but surely my tort are waking up, one by one.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote