Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 11-11-2018, 10:58 AM   #1
scapula
Incubating

Default Tortoise not sleeping!!

Hi, I have three adult Iberas, they stay outside for the summer and have had a good one! they have good weights and seem to be in good health, they dug right down three weeks ago and looked ready for their winter sleep

I have taken them in and wound them down in temporary pen in the attic for 3 weeks.... they have had no food for 10 days and no lights at all for 5 days, two of them have been dormant since I brought them in, one of them however is still wide awake and alert, she is nearly 70 years old, so is well used to hibernation.. the next step is to put them in another pen in the colder outbuilding, and then into a large crate halfull of soil,

Do you think I should just move the 2 that are sleeping out there, or all three of them?
scapula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 01:11 PM   #2
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapula View Post
Hi, I have three adult Iberas, they stay outside for the summer and have had a good one! they have good weights and seem to be in good health, they dug right down three weeks ago and looked ready for their winter sleep

I have taken them in and wound them down in temporary pen in the attic for 3 weeks.... they have had no food for 10 days and no lights at all for 5 days, two of them have been dormant since I brought them in, one of them however is still wide awake and alert, she is nearly 70 years old, so is well used to hibernation.. the next step is to put them in another pen in the colder outbuilding, and then into a large crate halfull of soil,

Do you think I should just move the 2 that are sleeping out there, or all three of them?

Mine have been doing the same:0)
I would move all of them to the darker place, as an attic has very changeable temps. And they need cold temps and dark to really make them go down.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 02:56 PM   #3
scapula
Incubating

Thanks Sandy! its 10 degrees in the cave (sort of outdoor cellar) where they are going .. I live in the mountains temperatures are down to zero at night over the next few days..I will move them all today!
scapula is offline   Reply With Quote