Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Turtles and Terrapins > TESCO SELLING TURTLES IN CHINA

Old 15-06-2010, 02:25 AM   #61
Sharon.T.
Egg

]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
Frogs don't screem.
Anthropomorphising is the largest road block in this conversation.

Again... the kind of 'documentary' is created for the very reason we are having this conversation.

I only wish a truely objective editor could be found to actually present an informative and objective documentary on the topic.
For your information Ed, I wasn't anthropomorphising but if it makes you feel better I'll re-phrase it for you... I heard a very high pitched noise that sounded like an animal was in distress. I went downstairs to find one of my cats patting a frog to make it jump, every time they patted it, it held it's front legs above it's head and emitted a high pitched distress sound. Does that make you feel better?

I also don't see why you have problem with vegetarians either. I am 39 and have been vegetarian for the last 15 nearly 16yrs. I have a husband and a 15yr old daughter, both of whom eat meat. Lots of people assume my daughter will be vegetarian because I am but that is simply not the case. Vegetarianism is a choice that I made because I didn't want an animal to die so I could eat when there are plenty other food stuffs I can eat which will provide me with all the vitamins and nutrients I need to maintain a healthy life. But it is my choice not anybody else's and I'm not about to ram it down anyone else's throat. If you want to eat, fine, I just choose not to and would hope that when people do eat meat they try to make it free range and killed in the most humane way possible. My daughter eats meat because it is her choice, if she decides in later life to become a vegetarian then, of course, I would be happy but it has to be her choice and no-one else's.

I am not a naive woman who just wants to 'save' all the fluffy animals. I have watched documentaries which showed you in full the journey the animal takes from farm to plate so I have seen animals slaughtered both by stunning first and for halal meat so I do have a very realistic view of slaughtering, I just didn't feel good knowing the animal died just so I could eat. I am well aware the cow would still be slaughtered anyway but at least I am not contributing towards it's death. I purchase meat for my hubby and daughter and always make sure it is sourced from a free range farm, I would rather buy more expensive meat less often, knowing it had a decent life, than to buy the cheapest meats which were kept in poor conditions and eat meat every day. The way I see it, if I need to cook meat for my family then I want it to have been happy, that's the way I need to compromise.qq
Sharon.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 04:50 AM   #62
EJ
Adult

How are you certain it was a distress sound?

You can eat whatever you like that does not concern me at all.

Again... how do you 'humanely' kill an organism? That does not make sense.

Lets take it to a basic level... cats should not hunt... larger fish should not eat smaller fish... the food chain is wrong and should be abolished.

We have happy cows... in CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon.T. View Post
]

For your information Ed, I wasn't anthropomorphising but if it makes you feel better I'll re-phrase it for you... I heard a very high pitched noise that sounded like an animal was in distress. I went downstairs to find one of my cats patting a frog to make it jump, every time they patted it, it held it's front legs above it's head and emitted a high pitched distress sound. Does that make you feel better?

I also don't see why you have problem with vegetarians either. I am 39 and have been vegetarian for the last 15 nearly 16yrs. I have a husband and a 15yr old daughter, both of whom eat meat. Lots of people assume my daughter will be vegetarian because I am but that is simply not the case. Vegetarianism is a choice that I made because I didn't want an animal to die so I could eat when there are plenty other food stuffs I can eat which will provide me with all the vitamins and nutrients I need to maintain a healthy life. But it is my choice not anybody else's and I'm not about to ram it down anyone else's throat. If you want to eat, fine, I just choose not to and would hope that when people do eat meat they try to make it free range and killed in the most humane way possible. My daughter eats meat because it is her choice, if she decides in later life to become a vegetarian then, of course, I would be happy but it has to be her choice and no-one else's.

I am not a naive woman who just wants to 'save' all the fluffy animals. I have watched documentaries which showed you in full the journey the animal takes from farm to plate so I have seen animals slaughtered both by stunning first and for halal meat so I do have a very realistic view of slaughtering, I just didn't feel good knowing the animal died just so I could eat. I am well aware the cow would still be slaughtered anyway but at least I am not contributing towards it's death. I purchase meat for my hubby and daughter and always make sure it is sourced from a free range farm, I would rather buy more expensive meat less often, knowing it had a decent life, than to buy the cheapest meats which were kept in poor conditions and eat meat every day. The way I see it, if I need to cook meat for my family then I want it to have been happy, that's the way I need to compromise.qq
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 07:28 AM   #63
justmeandmytortoise
Adult

Quote:
Frogs don't screem.

Anthropomorphising is the largest road block in this conversation.

Again... the kind of 'documentary' is created for the very reason we are having this conversation.

I only wish a truely objective editor could be found to actually present an informative and objective documentary on the topic.
I hate it when frogs scream. I have sadly caught a frog in the garden shears and it screamed when I cut it and my cats are always bringing in frogs and as they chase them they scream. Hopefully they then play dead and I can rescue them before they die. This video shows someone elses cat with a frog and the scream it gives ... mine do the same. http://www.maniacworld.com/cat-vs-screaming-frog.html I love frogs
Old 16-06-2010, 10:35 AM   #64
vikiilou89
Hatched

wow i just watched that video thats an impressive noise for a frog

vikiilou89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 11:34 AM   #65
ibizathetort
Adult

That is amazing, I never knew frogs made a noise like that. Frogs DO scream haha
ibizathetort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 07:44 PM   #66
TortBabe
Adult

Aww, poor little thing You really do learn something new everyday
Old 11-07-2010, 08:16 PM   #67
pagan queen
Adult

Quote:
Frogs don't screem.
Err, yes they do.
Where we live we have an imported breed of frog that when caught screams like hell.
This is the sound we hear in the spring and summer nights from our beds.

http://www.rmcp.co.uk/FrogSound.html
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:26 PM   #68
EJ
Adult

I associate a scream with vocal cords... I don't think frogs have vocal cords. They fill the throat with air and emitt that air through the nasal cavity... not really screaming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagan queen View Post
Err, yes they do.
Where we live we have an imported breed of frog that when caught screams like hell.
This is the sound we hear in the spring and summer nights from our beds.

http://www.rmcp.co.uk/FrogSound.html
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:38 PM   #69
ibizathetort
Adult

Surely a scream is a noise, whether made by vocal cords or other. Have you heard people refer to a car "screaming" around a corner - most cars do not have vocal cords
ibizathetort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 01:12 PM   #70
Pussygalore
Adult

I didn't know they made that noise either however it might be a way of trying to frighten off the attacker, maybe making itself sound bigger than it is, maybe even agresssion, whether though its a sound made through fear or pain is debatable.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote