Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 06-07-2009, 10:29 AM   #1
ibizathetort
Adult

Default Those Tortoise Moments

Sorry for getting gooey again but

Ive had my Horsfield (Ibiza) for 7 months now and I think she is starting to react and knows my voice/appearance. Does anyone else get this? She pops her head into her shell for anyone but me and when shes outside she always comes to greet me.

Also she has a little joke, she never ever poos/wees in her own enclosure. She always waits till I get her out for a run of the living room, then she lifts up the back of her shell, usually over the expensive rug, and relieves herself :P
ibizathetort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:41 PM   #2
Kristy
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibizathetort View Post
Sorry for getting gooey again but

Ive had my Horsfield (Ibiza) for 7 months now and I think she is starting to react and knows my voice/appearance. Does anyone else get this? She pops her head into her shell for anyone but me and when shes outside she always comes to greet me.

Also she has a little joke, she never ever poos/wees in her own enclosure. She always waits till I get her out for a run of the living room, then she lifts up the back of her shell, usually over the expensive rug, and relieves herself :P
Yes my horsefield (Colin) knows me and if he wants to come out he will climb onto my hand!! He won't do this for anyone else! He also will not do his business in his enclosure, does anyone know why they would do this?
Old 06-07-2009, 02:09 PM   #3
tweenietortoise
Egg

Aw that is really sweet! I got my horsfield called Rocky a few weeks ago well mainly for my 8 year old son as we are so allergic to other animals, I was worried that a tortoise would be boring but he is sooo sweet!

I am hoping that mine will react when we call etc... I think they do have little personalities already when My son goes to feed him he puts his head up, they are fascinating little creatures!
tweenietortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:32 PM   #4
anna m
Adult

Some people say that tortoises come to them when they call but I have 2 boys so they go in the opposite direction when I call. The favourite place for the loo is in someones shoe. They are pretty generous like that really
anna m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:50 AM   #5
skud90
Egg

my tortoise seems to poo on me alot.
whenever im sunbathing in the garden, she likes to climb on me, my and usualy poos on me.
im not sure how to take that really :P
skud90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:26 AM   #6
sarah
Administrator
Adult

They normally wee and poo on you because they are scared or startled.
I only check my lot over once a day, its quite scary to a tortoise being picked up all the time.

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:30 PM   #7
ibizathetort
Adult

I dont think that is always the case, my tortoise usually does it outside her enclosure when shes eating a treat so she cant be that scared if shes eating
Old 07-07-2009, 01:43 PM   #8
sarah
Administrator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibizathetort View Post
I dont think that is always the case, my tortoise usually does it outside her enclosure when shes eating a treat so she cant be that scared if shes eating
When they are picked up and poo and wee on you yes normally the case.
I have some that scare easy when picked up and wee and poo, they also poo and wee while eating

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:18 PM   #9
ibizathetort
Adult

Yeah when being picked up but the general comments are why do they do it when having a run outside of their enclosure. Do they not want to do it on their own doorstep??