Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 16-03-2012, 05:25 PM   #11
terig
Hatched

Evie, Im looking at getting some insurance the vets gave me the details of exotic pet insurance so im going to look into that. Even if its just for the others. Can I ask you where you got zolcal d as I see it recommended on a thread for MBD. Ive been using normal calcium but am willing to do anything to get him well again.

The other Leopard I took on has no pyrmading or knocks she did have a black tongue but it is now pink. But would you recommend me using it on the both or just on George.

Thanks any info is greatly received as I am new to the Loepard species
terig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #12
Evie
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by terig View Post
Evie, Im looking at getting some insurance the vets gave me the details of exotic pet insurance so im going to look into that. Even if its just for the others. Can I ask you where you got zolcal d as I see it recommended on a thread for MBD. Ive been using normal calcium but am willing to do anything to get him well again.

The other Leopard I took on has no pyrmading or knocks she did have a black tongue but it is now pink. But would you recommend me using it on the both or just on George.

Thanks any info is greatly received as I am new to the Loepard species
I was thrown in at the deep end when I got my first leopard and have now got 5 .... I have taken rehomers and they have come with health issues.

When Lillie was first seen she was query MBD - she walked with her shell almost touching the ground and had quite a soft underside - X-rays showed no internal problems but her poor diet given by her previous owner had taken its toll.

Zolcal D can be bought on the Internet - it is made by Vetark - the dose is dependant on the weight - extra basking and sunlight ( when possible) are also what George will need.

I personally wouldn't use zolcal on the others unless they showed signs of MBD - limestone flour and cuttle bone should be enough.

They can also get an inflammation of the third eyelid which can make the eyes puffy and watery - I don't know if the vet said what George's eye problem could be.

I think my vets have covered a few ailments with mine - but they are very resilient and are all doing well now.

Exotic direct are the only reptile insurers and I have always found them very good - for the first year they will exclude any old health issues but once they have been symptom free for a year they will reinstate it.

I pay approx £200 per year for all 5 of mine and it has been well worth it.

Good luck
Evie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 06:37 PM   #13
terig
Hatched

Thanks for that, will give them a call monday as it will be well worth it. I think I will set up another heat lamp with the uvb / uva as their indoor home is 6ft x 4 ft and they often bundle to get under it. He didnt mention the puffy eyes as they had gone down but I put it down to stress. His shell dosnt touch the floor but he was unsteady on his feet almost like his shell weighed a ton, but again that could be the fact that he is underweight. The vets did say that the back of his shell isnt as wide as it should be but I assume that was due to poor diet and im not sure if she had a light or anything as she didnt bring anything with her just the torts, she didnt even have a name for them.

Its good to hear there is light at the end of the tunnel as ive been overwhelmed and thought what have I got myself into. Thanks again for your advice
Old 16-03-2012, 10:29 PM   #14
burnt toast
Adult

I hope George will be better soon. I always go for less than perfect torts too! They do come right in the end but not always overnight

& im terrible at not telling hubby! He doesnt have a clue how many torts I have, if he spots a new one I tell him someone gave her me & I always say the vets was £15 if he asks!!
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 09:12 AM   #15
terig
Hatched

Thanks Lynn im glad its not just me and my sister who tell small porkies.

Although my sister has a wopper of a porkie, she has 21 all sick and injured that shes taken in. Her partner only thinks she has the 5 indoors. I told her he will go mental when he goes into the garden and finds that they have all come out of hibernation. She often has to turn away sick ones. This is how ive ended up with all of mine, they contact her and she says i'll just ring my sister and then I end up with them.

Ive even brought my mother in law into the £64 lie. Ive already spent over £200 on him im just hoping monday will not be another big bill other wise I might have to send the kids out to work ha ha
Old 17-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #16
burnt toast
Adult

Quote:
Thanks Lynn im glad its not just me and my sister who tell small porkies.

Although my sister has a wopper of a porkie, she has 21 all sick and injured that shes taken in. Her partner only thinks she has the 5 indoors. I told her he will go mental when he goes into the garden and finds that they have all come out of hibernation. She often has to turn away sick ones. This is how ive ended up with all of mine, they contact her and she says i'll just ring my sister and then I end up with them.

Ive even brought my mother in law into the £64 lie. Ive already spent over £200 on him im just hoping monday will not be another big bill other wise I might have to send the kids out to work ha ha

Your sister sounds like me!! My hubby doesnt notice as he doesnt pay any attention to the torts or go outside & look at them, its been a bit of a pain over the winter, cus most of mine have hibernated but wihen ive needed anything diy doing in their shed I darent ask him as he knows I have loads of box's in his garage hibernating & he might wonder why I have a shed full too, so I have had to try & do the diy myself, its bodged but you can do things when you have to!!
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #17
terig
Hatched

Thanks everyone for your good wishes.

He has now had his second bath and im trying to get him to stay in his bed under the light to keep warm, but he isnt having any of it. Hes now chsing mildred around the kitchen. His shell is way too heavy for his skinny legs but hes having a go i will leave him for 20 mins or so then put him under his light, hopefully he would have worn himself out abit.
Old 17-03-2012, 02:59 PM   #18
JoesMum
Hatchling

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your good wishes.

He has now had his second bath and im trying to get him to stay in his bed under the light to keep warm, but he isnt having any of it. Hes now chsing mildred around the kitchen. His shell is way too heavy for his skinny legs but hes having a go i will leave him for 20 mins or so then put him under his light, hopefully he would have worn himself out abit.
He sounds like his mind is fit, even f his body isn't! It's a good sign if he's thinking about sex!

Seriously, when Joe was ill he didn't bother about anything. It was such a relief when he finally started attacking the lawnmower again.