Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 20-01-2013, 10:01 PM   #141
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

You can use a surge protector but not a thermostat. Often it's the holder rather than the bulb that's the problem.

The 160w Arcadia bulbs are the best mercury vapours in my and many others' opinions
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 10:09 PM   #142
-Amber-
Egg

Thank you for your reply. Hmmm, I had my bulb in a brand new Zoo med domed holder. Wonder if that was the problem. Other basking bulbs tend to flicker a fair bit in that holder, so maybe it's faulty!

Mum of 3 daughters, and our furred, feathered and shelled babies- Millie- Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Poppy- Chihuahua cross Yorkshire Terrier, Marlow- Ragdoll, Tootsie- Persian, Bramble- moggy, Alfie and Willow- bunnies, Shreddie and Toffee- ratties, Clover, Bluebell and Violet- chooks, Tuki- African Grey, Loki- Yellow sided Green Cheeked Conure, and George- Eastern Hermann's Tortoise.
-Amber- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 10:31 PM   #143
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

try a 50p bulb from asda or tesco in it, you can usually get a low enegry bulb with an ES27 fitting for 50p or £1. it might also not be making good contact with the copper contact in the holder, SWITCH OFF, UNPLUG FIRST and try to prise it up a little
Old 20-01-2013, 10:47 PM   #144
-Amber-
Egg

Thank you for your help. There is a 100W basking bulb in that holder at the moment. I bought a new bulb yesterday as the last one went, and it lasted a few hours! It was a cheapy one though. The zoo med seems better quality, but have seen it flickering slightly, so I think I'll get my partner to unplug it and do what you have suggested to bring the metal bit down a little. Thanks again.

Mum of 3 daughters, and our furred, feathered and shelled babies- Millie- Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Poppy- Chihuahua cross Yorkshire Terrier, Marlow- Ragdoll, Tootsie- Persian, Bramble- moggy, Alfie and Willow- bunnies, Shreddie and Toffee- ratties, Clover, Bluebell and Violet- chooks, Tuki- African Grey, Loki- Yellow sided Green Cheeked Conure, and George- Eastern Hermann's Tortoise.
Old 20-01-2013, 11:22 PM   #145
Catwoman63
Adult

I have used zoomed mercury vapour lamps for 4 years without any trouble at all, all have lasted, I don't use a thermostat with them tho, but have them connected to timers x

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 11:25 PM   #146
-Amber-
Egg

Hmmm interesting! I was always very careful not to jolt the bulbs or anything! I had them plugged straight into the wall, no extension leads or anything! No thermostat either, odd!

Old 12-03-2013, 09:53 AM   #147
ethelandedna
Incubating

Good to find this thread I've been AWOL from SW for a good while but having major problems with MVBs.
I've always used Arcadia D3 160W. The first one lasted for (too long probably) over 12 months. Since then I've bought 3 more and had problems with them all. Faulty connectors on the bulb so kept cutting out. Next one arrived with filament-thing broken but because I didn't open and change it straightaway it was too late to return it. The latest blew after 4 months.
I actually came on the forum to look for alternatives. None of my local pet shops stock MVBs so I have to do mail order and sending such fragile things through the post is bound to be risky. So I'm off to trawl other threads to find out the best combo that I can purchase from Pets at Home, Kennelgate or Planters pet department.
(Unless anyone knows of an Arcadia stockist near Lichfield, Staffs...)
ethelandedna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:26 AM   #148
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Ripples Waterlife, Wyevale Garden Centre
Marine Aquatics, Burntwood
CD Aquatics, Walsall
Aquamart, Claymore Tame Valley ind est
Byrkley Aquatics, Rangemore, Burton-on-Trent
Hollybush Nurseries, Wolverhampton
West Midlands Aquatics, Walsall

All appear to be fish related but some may have reptiles, you'd have to phone them but anyway, they will have had the bulbs delivered to them by van the same as if you were buying online. Only difference is it's easier to take them back to a shop
Old 13-03-2013, 08:19 AM   #149
Andy Robertson
Hatched

Hi there,

I have just purchased two Small pro lamps and one large pro lamp from the link below, they are lamps designed for lambing! They are perfect for using with bulbs up to 260watt. Only had them going for the last three weeks, but even when going in the tort shed and i have accidently knocked them the bulbs stay on while the lamp is swinging away!! I have two power sun 125w and one Arcadia D3 120w in them. On my inside tables i have three 160w Arcadia D3 in there ceramic holders. Had no problems with them, but if you were to knock the clamp the bulbs do tend to go off!!
All the bulbs have been changed at the same time so hopefully in 5 months time i will have some more information on how these have worked. I think the ones from the Chicken house website will work better than the ceramics.
The guy in the local reptile shop up here said that he has only had problems with the 160w bulbs, this is also what i have experenced in the passed as well
http://www.chicken-house.co.ukSmall_Pro lamp u____without u Dimmer.html#a420

Thanks Andy
Andy Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 09:43 AM   #150
ethelandedna
Incubating

Thanks Alan. That's brilliant. Hopefully one of them will have a bulb. Their deliveries may come the same way as my mail order but, as you say, returns are much easier. I would prefer to be able to shop local - keeping our traders in business and easier if a bulbs blows at short notice so I don'y have to pay next day carriage fees.
ethelandedna is offline   Reply With Quote