Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Ask The Experts > Identification/Sexing.

Old 05-11-2016, 05:19 PM   #11
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldocktort View Post
Weight is pretty constant, has been dropping slightly over last couple of weeks. I would say urates with a brown fleck. Poops have always been OK. I kind of assumed that as he is hydrated I would see urates passing right up to the hibernation point?
Once they are in windown, they will lose a certain amount of weight, as they are moving around a little but not eating.
Weight loss during this time can be scary, hence I never weigh mine during this time. But wait until they are actually put into hibernation. Then monitor the weight lose from then. They can lose, ten percent of body weight over the whole of the hibernation.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 02:24 PM   #12
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Weight is pretty constant, has been dropping slightly over last couple of weeks. I would say urates with a brown fleck. Poops have always been OK. I kind of assumed that as he is hydrated I would see urates passing right up to the hibernation point?
There is a balance to be found between having faith in Mother Nature eg they now how to wind down quite naturally, and it works, and being aware of keeping them hydrated through wind down, slowly cutting back food ( but they do this themselves if left to it) cutting back light and heat ( so they cool down slowly and so digestion slows down gradually ) if you do all this there bodies will adjust in every way, they will have pooped put enough, they will be hydrated. I never worry about when they last pooped or weed. Mine don't eat for about three weeks before going down, but they will have been slowing down eating from about the end of August. This is why I like to leave them to it, because nature takes its corse and it works.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 02:49 PM   #13
Jan W
Sub Adult

Bertie slowed down and stopped but Beatrice had a huge amount one day and then didn't touch anything the next day from then on! My two are such a contrast.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:50 PM   #14
CherryBrandy
Adult

Jan, 2.1 in Hampshire today and didn't reach double figures all day - how about your area as isn't far from me. All torts away yesterday. checked last year and last was away 20th November so a bit earlier this year despite the longer warmth ! CB
Old 09-11-2016, 08:03 PM   #15
Jan W
Sub Adult

Yes it was freezing. The chicken water was icy inside and the goose water was frozen on the top of the buckets outside!

Fortunately tort area registered 5, so perfect.

Brrr.....
Old 09-11-2016, 08:40 PM   #16
CherryBrandy
Adult

thats all good Jan. Saw geese the other day flying in formation - so nice to see, not seen it for many years. mine registered - 2.2 overnight ! And snow one the way. I miss checking them morning and evening summertime ! CB
Old 19-11-2016, 05:26 PM   #17
baldocktort
Egg

OK, so my tortoise has now been in the fridge at 5 degrees for 3 days and he is still moving about. Is this normal? Will he stop? or does he shuffle throughout hibernation?
baldocktort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 06:34 PM   #18
sandy
Adult

Quote:
OK, so my tortoise has now been in the fridge at 5 degrees for 3 days and he is still moving about. Is this normal? Will he stop? or does he shuffle throughout hibernation?
If you can drop the temps a little for a week, that should settle him/her down:0)

Old 20-11-2016, 04:00 PM   #19
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
yes and yes , they bury down further if colder and come up a little when 'warmer'. There was a programme that showed Tortoises move up and down in the earth dependent on the temperature (drops), at 8 degrees they will go down and hibernate, maintain around 5 for safe hibernation if can CB
Old 20-11-2016, 04:38 PM   #20
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
yes and yes , they bury down further if colder and come up a little when 'warmer'. There was a programme that showed Tortoises move up and down in the earth dependent on the temperature (drops), at 8 degrees they will go down and hibernate, maintain around 5 for safe hibernation if can CB
Horsfields can stand much lower temps than most when it comes to hibernation.
But not for a long time, hence lowering temps for a short time to allow the tortoise to settle a week should be fine at a lower temp. Of course monitoring all the time.