Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Turtles and Terrapins > Aquatic, Semi-Aquatic, and Terrestrial Turtles

Old 10-10-2013, 09:24 PM   #1
London2013
Egg

Default Help new owner

Hi I am new to this site and I have just bought a terrapin of gumtree, I had been reading up about them with the idea to getting one soon but after seeing this poor thing I had to get it.

I need help I'm unsure if it is a boy or girl

It does not seem to eat (but that could of been the stress of the move), it came in a tank which is more like a fish bowl, no lights, no pumps, no basking area.

The tank is a hexagon shape, it has a water mark line which is less than 4". My partner and myself bought a UVB lamp, basking lamp we put more water in that I think it has had before.

It doesn't seem to swim well and has a flaky shell and advice would be greatful.
London2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:37 AM   #2
TillyTortoise
Adult

Determining the species is what you need to do first. Can you post some photos of the turtle?
Old 11-10-2013, 12:53 AM   #3
becciwales
Adult

Awww, poor little thing. Hope he/she's OK x

1:2:0 Testudo Hermanni Boettgeri -
Darwin, Galileo, and Einstein.

Archimedes (THB) RIP June, 2018
becciwales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:44 AM   #4
London2013
Egg

Hi,

I'm working on a iPad how do I upload a photo?

I just want to give him( I just seem to call him a him) a better life than what he had all help is greatful
London2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:40 AM   #5
Suze65
Adult

Hi and welcome, I don't know anything about terrapins , sorry, hope some one comes along to help.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:56 AM   #6
ClareandCo
Sub Adult

As has been said we really need to see a photo or two to give a positive id, but it is most likely a Slider or Cooter. On this basis, a male has long front claws and a thick tail. They need to be a certain age/size to sex for definite. If you have a female she could reach 12"+. The recommended amount of water is 40 litres per inch of shell, so a much larger tank/indoor pond set up is needed. No gravel or lid on the tank.

UVB and a basking area area must. The turtle needs to be able to climb safely out of the water to bask and dry off. Shedding is natural and the scutes will come away, but do not pick them. Fresh new ones should be seen but if there is any redness, ooziness or smell then this could mean shell rot.

A good diet of Reptomin, wheatgerm pellets, duckweed, pondweed, romaine lettuce and dandelion leaves is ideal. Water temperature 20c (depending again on species and size/age) and a basking area at least 10c warmer.

An external filter is a must - Eheim 2213, 2215 or 2217 are recommended. Amazon had the cheapest price, but they are forever going out of stock! Alfagrog is the recommended media.

I hope you didn't pay anything/much at all for him/her as there are so many being offered for free all the time, mostly because of the pure size they reach.

Once we have a correct id - photos showing the head, tail and front claws in particular - then a lot more help/advice can be given.
ClareandCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:28 PM   #7
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Here's how to upload pictures http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=29355

Danny
Old 11-10-2013, 03:36 PM   #8
H20
Incubating

Hope this helps...I've copied your photo from the other forum you originally posted this picture on...if you need to post more pics please post on other forum and I will transfer if it helps.

H20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:43 PM   #9
TillyTortoise
Adult

You've got a Common Musk Turtle - Sternotherus odoratus. The good news is they grow to a much more manageable size than the Sliders and Cooters.

I'm sure you'll be offered so excellent advice about caring for this turtle.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #10
ClareandCo
Sub Adult

A Common Musk as has been said. A relief indeed that s/he will not reach 12"!

Difficult to gauge the size, but sub-adults to not necessarily do well in deep water. 4" could well be deep enough.

A good filter will still be needed, and I would remove the gravel as Musks in particular like to wander along the bottom of the tank - hence the reference to them a "bottom walkers". A bare bottomed tank will be fine or else some well washed through playsand. They can also unintentionally eat the gravel.

This should help:

http://www.terrapin-info.co.uk/musks.php
ClareandCo is offline   Reply With Quote