Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 23-11-2023, 01:20 PM   #11
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortydat View Post
Or maybe just look where you're going!!
That's easier said than done when you have a big belly and cant see your feet.

Last edited by Gordon; 23-11-2023 at 05:20 PM.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2023, 04:05 PM   #12
tortydat
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
That's easier said than done when you have a big belly and can see your feet.
Well I suppose there's no answer to that!
tortydat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2023, 12:23 PM   #13
Gordon
Adult

Well both my groups of Herman's have now been put away at long last.
They are very late this year for some reason they normally go down around the beginning of November not the end.
I willstill have things to do over the winter with non hibernating tortoises and lizards even though the type I keep do slow down a lot and some even disappear into their boxes till spring so very much like tortoises.
Old 24-11-2023, 05:19 PM   #14
emma_mcraf
Adult

I'm still popping by to see what's new. Taken a turn for the colder in the past week but keeping snug and cosy at home apart from the odd appointment. Awaiting some biopsy results and surgery and then hubby will be on animal duty for a minimum of 4 weeks whilst I recover. My future mobility hangs in the balance depending on the surgery, so spent the autumn waiting for this result and that, this appointment and that, but it's been so quick. Can't believe December is next week already.

Gordon, did you manage to trip over a Burmese Brown?!

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2023, 08:09 PM   #15
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_mcraf View Post
I'm still popping by to see what's new. Taken a turn for the colder in the past week but keeping snug and cosy at home apart from the odd appointment. Awaiting some biopsy results and surgery and then hubby will be on animal duty for a minimum of 4 weeks whilst I recover. My future mobility hangs in the balance depending on the surgery, so spent the autumn waiting for this result and that, this appointment and that, but it's been so quick. Can't believe December is next week already.

Gordon, did you manage to trip over a Burmese Brown?!

Hi Emma and yes I did trip over a Burmese brown........

Well I'm so looking forward to December as so far I have three hospital visits booked.
Old 28-11-2023, 03:36 PM   #16
Yvonne G
Hatched

I was beginning to wonder if our UK forum was going extinct. I used to check in every day, but so many days went by with no activity I gradually stopped coming. I hate to lose you guys. I love reading about tortoise-keeping in your neck-o-the-woods.

I was a bit late looking for my russians, so they're all dug in to brumate someplace out in their yard. I can't find them. I hope they make it through the winter ok. I have two really big females I'd hate to lose.

I've got the Texas tortoises (Gopherus berlandieri) all boxed up and safely put away for the winter. Still have to go find the desert tortoise and box her up, but I know right where she is.

I've been having trouble keeping up with all the care these animals require, so I've been thinning down. I'm in partnership with the tortoises with a fellow down in San Diego and he's taking everything that's too much for me to handle. So far all the leopards have been sold and a couple weeks ago he took the Manouria emys emys and radiata. Next week or so he'll come up and get the Manouria emys phayrei and the two radiata hatchlings. He also has a bunch of supplies he's going to take.

That leaves me with the four species that brumate (Texas, russian, desert and box turtles), plus the yellowfoot tortoises and a three year old Manouria emys emys that hatched out with no eyes. I've already noticed a BIG decrease in the amount I spend for tortoise food, and it only takes me a few minutes in the a.m. and evening to tend to the animals I have left. I guess that means that I now have time for housework. WHAT?????
Old 04-12-2023, 09:06 AM   #17
CherryBrandy
Adult

Happy Christmas !!!! (too early? ) lovely to see familiar faces on here and the members are looking good too . Emma, gordon sorry to hear about your ill health, similar here too but may have turned a corner, never nice is it. cold wet horrid grey and missy here but only 21 sleeps and it starts getting better ..... Yvonne - how lovely , bet it is warmer there....I went San diego zoo years ago in the eighties ! I didn't want to come away it was so nice. Big tortoises ! loud tannoy, little buggy rides... have a lovely day everyone.
Old 05-12-2023, 01:13 AM   #18
burnt toast
Adult

I'm still here. Haven't looked in for a while as it has been so quiet. My dad passed away early October so I have been busy sorting his affairs. All my meds are hibernating I'm very nervous about my Hercs choice of hibernaclum. They kept digging down in a wooden coldframe in their area, which after numerous times of retrieving them I decided to insulate & let them choose but it's bottomless & outdoors. I'm not concerned about temperatures as they have deep soil & are well covered with a foot of soil followed by thermawrap, then old fashioned pure wool blankets & a 3 inch slab of kingspan but its the wet I'm worrying about as it has been raining heavily. So tomorrow morning I'm going to dig down check them & may move them to a bottomless insulated hutch within the greenhouse that they were "supposed" to hibernate in! Lol

Nice to see everyone is still around.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 10:18 AM   #19
emma_mcraf
Adult

So lovely to see so many have popped on to say hello.
Sorry to all having a tough time for any reason. Condolences to you Lynne.
I've only got one appointment booked in so far this month Gordon (and hoping that'll do for this year), so you beat me there!
Surgery is looking to be next year unless any late cancellations pop up.
Took me 4 days to pop the decs up but finally got it done with help here and there. Slow but steady wins the race and all that...
Think my pace has become slightly slower than the tortoises some days.

Hope that everyone has a happy and healthy festive period and into the new year.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 12:45 PM   #20
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_mcraf View Post
So lovely to see so many have popped on to say hello.
Sorry to all having a tough time for any reason. Condolences to you Lynne.
I've only got one appointment booked in so far this month Gordon (and hoping that'll do for this year), so you beat me there!
Surgery is looking to be next year unless any late cancellations pop up.
Took me 4 days to pop the decs up but finally got it done with help here and there. Slow but steady wins the race and all that...
Think my pace has become slightly slower than the tortoises some days.

Hope that everyone has a happy and healthy festive period and into the new year.
Well had an appointment well actually two appointments one Friday and one Monday to be told I was on the operation list for January but surprise surprise its been cancelled but I am on the top of the list.

We haven't even thought about putting up decorations yet and if it was down to me it wouldn't happen as I have lost my sparkle for Christmas due to loosing both my parents around Christmas time over the years and then me being ill and the prospect of two more operations I just don't have the same feelings for Christmas I'm afraid.

My eldest daughter however bought her Christmas tree for her new house over a month ago and it came out of the box and straight up bless her. It must be so exciting having your first Christmas in your first home together. It's been so long I can't remember