Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 09-12-2010, 10:15 AM   #1
ElHein
Egg

Send a message via Skype™ to ElHein
Default The disgusting truth about Norway.

I come from Norway, as I have specified three times today. Hehe. And I would like to tell you all a little about the conditions over here.

There are certain exceptions to these strict laws. Insects, chincillas, dogs and cats (etc, etc) but reptiles and herptiles are strictly illegal.

Over here; keeping exotic animals (animals that are not native to this land) is not legal. It's a horrible law that has caused many, many deep grief. Keeping tortoises, chameleons and reptiles can be punished with up to two months of prison and up to ca. 1200 euros. And all for keeping these magnificent creatures. We're hunted like criminals, and whenever we meet or participate in forums etc. we pretty much have to use aliases in order to not get caught. The animals caught will either be taken to zoos, but of course. Most of them get put down. A horrible tragedy unfitting for a magnificent creature such as i.e a tortoise. Personally; I have the proper papers to justify my keeping of tortoises. As I have several medical issues that prevent me from keeping animals that require a lot of walking, space etc. I get to keep them. Yet I do all I can for those who have to keep their animals hidden. A disgusting truth, don'tcha think? I would love some input. It seems most people are unaware that there are countries with these laws.
-ElHein.
ElHein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:49 PM   #2
Beverley
Adult

Hi ElHein, I was not aware that it was against the law to keep reptiles in some countries, I thought you where not allowed to bring them in, but thought you could keep them as a hobby.
Whats the reasoning behind this ?
Old 09-12-2010, 01:03 PM   #3
Pussygalore
Adult

I to am interested in knowing why you can't keep them, the proper legal reasons not 'say so' as such.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:55 PM   #4
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Strange Norweigen law's there, you have my sympathy, we tend to not advertise keeping tortoises in United Kingdom, except to people we trust, as your garden Tortoises can be stolen. Your law was it invented to keep your native wild life pure, i don't understand the reason.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:02 PM   #5
pixie-egg
Sub Adult

I don't understand it either. Seems to me that there will be more and more illegally imported animals coming in poor conditions and then being bought at overly high prices by folk who'll keep them in less than perfect enclosures due to lack of education and support available to them. Sounds like a step backwards on the animal care front. Sad times for many pet owners. x
Old 10-12-2010, 12:24 AM   #6
ElHein
Egg

Send a message via Skype™ to ElHein

Apparently; since most reptiles and a vast majority of the world's amphibians are not a part of the Norwegian fauna, the politicians around 50 years ago figured it was time for us to ban the really interesting animals. Of course people will keep getting their herptiles and we will be chased and caught, fined and maybe put to jail. If one is really careful, one can actually dodge getting ever caught. I know someone who has breeded geckos for the last 20 years, and he has never had a single run-in with tha law. 'Cept for some parking-tickets.
So what do you think, fellow Shellies? Are we (the owners); car-thieves, hooligans and eco-terrorists?
ElHein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:05 AM   #7
pixie-egg
Sub Adult

Of course you are not!! It's ridiculous and I still can't get my head round the thinking. I'm fully behind bringing in dog licence's in this county and would even stretch that to cover any animal (and thats coming from someone with a dog, fish, tort and maybe soon another hamster). But to have a blanket ban on all none native animals just seems to make no sense to me. I'm one of those people who think it's important for children to be around animals and like you a lot of people can't or simpley don't want to keep the traditional dog or cat. Where does that leave them? I'd be very upset if someone tried to tell me I could only keep certain animals. It really does seem like an out of date law that needs some serious reviewing and updating.

Just to be nosey - Since you are allowed to keep a tort due to your health reasons do you find it hard to buy supplies? I have an image of you sneaking down an alleyway to buy uv bulbs on the black market. X
Old 10-12-2010, 09:17 AM   #8
Pussygalore
Adult

Don't New Zealand have something similar? and if I'm right wasn't it because they don't have any natural predators so if something was released it could wipe out several species?. Could Norway be the same although as its part of Europe the predator bit wouldn't apply as anything living in Europe can roam there.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:30 AM   #9
pixie-egg
Sub Adult

That is a very good theory. I doubt a reptile could survive wild in Norway long enough to establish a population big enough to wipe out an entire native species though. But on the other hand just look at the python population in Florida and they are not native. That programme about one eating a gater was very interesting. It was saying they are having real trouble with the python's, and all they are is 'let loose pets' that are surviving and breeding. However it does still seem a bit over the top to ban animals of a none Norwegian origin as pets to me.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:35 PM   #10
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElHein View Post
Apparently; since most reptiles and a vast majority of the world's amphibians are not a part of the Norwegian fauna, the politicians around 50 years ago figured it was time for us to ban the really interesting animals. Of course people will keep getting their herptiles and we will be chased and caught, fined and maybe put to jail. If one is really careful, one can actually dodge getting ever caught. I know someone who has breeded geckos for the last 20 years, and he has never had a single run-in with tha law. 'Cept for some parking-tickets.
So what do you think, fellow Shellies? Are we (the owners); car-thieves, hooligans and eco-terrorists?
Sounds exciting to me dodging or getting one up on a crap law/government, up the Repti-terrorist's