Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 23-05-2013, 08:38 AM   #21
pebsmeboy
Hatchling

You go with it Bev....Everything happens for a reason and your redundancy
has come up making it possible to go for your dream. Best of luck with
everything and dont forget to keep us all updated with your progress.
xxx

Mum to 2 beautiful Hermanns
Pebbledash and Speedy
pebsmeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 01:52 PM   #22
Catwoman63
Adult

Thankyou everyone, I will still go for the interviews here, if i am offeed the job, i can still turn it down and take redundancy, or discuss negotiations of hours with them first, to maybe allow me to do the course as well, if not an option then i will take redundance and start the course, so many things to think about and plan arrrggghhh x

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #23
Pussygalore
Adult

would the redundancy make much of a dent in the mortgage or haven't you been there very long, that could play a bit part in your choice, I suppose should you take the other offered job you'd loose your right to redundancy from the previous post and start again?. Money has to play a big part however sad that may be especially if you are getting towards the end of the mortgage, taking a lodger if you have the space is a good suggestion and does your son contribute towards the house, I know its nice to let them live for free but you have a life as well. Then I suppose there's always the option of downsizing should you have a big empty house, it depends how sure you are about a change in lifestyle. I wish you all the luck it was a choice I'd have loved to have made a few years back but the college I approached were'nt very helpfull about the having a placement with a vets so I gave up on the idea. Now that I have the time I'm to old and don't have a car I can drive nor the confidence to go for it.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #24
Catwoman63
Adult

unfortunately, my mortgage is quite high and i would need to pay off my car loan, a loan against my property, my overdraft!!! so with whats left i would have to budget very tightly over the 12 months, unless i could get paid employment over that time, my son is 26 and lives with his girlfriend so no contribution there, however, my sister lives with me and helps towards the bills, but she doesnt earn that much money to really pay me anymore than she does but it is a help nonetheless. I live in a small 2 bedroomed house, so another lodger is not an option and downsizing not an option either.

Im scared incase it doesnt work out, there are not many jobs on the market these days, but apparantly Veterinary Nurses are in high demand if you look on the "vetsclick" website (i think it is). It would take me 3 years to qualify, but if i can get a foot in the door of a vets doing the job and training at the same time..............but it all boils down to getting a work placement because without it i cant do the course as you know yourself.

I have just seen a part-time job in a vets as a receptionist, it would be good just to get in the door first then do the training whilst there to progress, but the job is too far away and will cost too much in petrol, which is a bad shame really, oh the agony of it all, my head is splitting lol x

0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Old 23-05-2013, 05:38 PM   #25
yuna1971
Adult

Bev, have you thought of nightschool? Evening lessons etc...there might be some course that you can do and do the job you're in, or the part time vet reception job? xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #26
WriterNick
Juvenile

Send a message via MSN to WriterNick
Default !

Good luck Bev! You are an inspiration because many people would like to pursue the job of their dreams but are too scared to go for it!
WriterNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #27
Catwoman63
Adult

I would rach but I deal with all my animals straight from work I wouldn't have time for night school lol, ideally I want to give up full time work, attend a course and do a part time job working with animals, that way I get to spend more time with my animals and a part time job working with animals but it might not work out like that lol x

0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Old 23-05-2013, 10:30 PM   #28
Lisamn
Hatchling

Oh Bev, you should definitely go for it if it is financially viable to do so, and like someone else has already said, I'm very jealous. Changing career is something I've been thinking about for a couple of years now too, but I don't seem able to find a way out. My job is so workload heavy that I have virtually no work/life balance (or even much time for job hunting) and any free time I do get is spent doing not very much since I'm always so tired! I too would like to spend more time with my torts (and family and friends). I have been looking for other jobs but haven't seen anything I could go for at present that's different from what I do now without needing to retrain completely. I think I will have to look into the retraining now though as although I'm 40 this year, the fact is I've still got 25 years plus working life ahead of me and there's no way I can continue for that length of time feeling the way I do. I requested to go part time stating the lack of a healthy and necessary work/life balance issue (which would then have also given me more time and energy to job hunt/pursue another career/retrain or whatever) but have been told today my request will not be granted, so I'm feeling especially down about it all tonight. I'm told there is no legal obligation for them to change my hours as I don't have children. Before Easter I was really poorly and ended up off sick for nigh on two weeks - there's no doubt in my mind I got that ill due to being so exhausted and run down. I'd be so happy to be offered redundancy right now! Anyway, sorry, seem to have gone off on a tangent moaning about all of my woes. I guess I'm trying to tell you to just go for it if it's in any way possible - I certainly would! X
Lisamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 09:07 AM   #29
Catwoman63
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisamn View Post
Oh Bev, you should definitely go for it if it is financially viable to do so, and like someone else has already said, I'm very jealous. Changing career is something I've been thinking about for a couple of years now too, but I don't seem able to find a way out. My job is so workload heavy that I have virtually no work/life balance (or even much time for job hunting) and any free time I do get is spent doing not very much since I'm always so tired! I too would like to spend more time with my torts (and family and friends). I have been looking for other jobs but haven't seen anything I could go for at present that's different from what I do now without needing to retrain completely. I think I will have to look into the retraining now though as although I'm 40 this year, the fact is I've still got 25 years plus working life ahead of me and there's no way I can continue for that length of time feeling the way I do. I requested to go part time stating the lack of a healthy and necessary work/life balance issue (which would then have also given me more time and energy to job hunt/pursue another career/retrain or whatever) but have been told today my request will not be granted, so I'm feeling especially down about it all tonight. I'm told there is no legal obligation for them to change my hours as I don't have children. Before Easter I was really poorly and ended up off sick for nigh on two weeks - there's no doubt in my mind I got that ill due to being so exhausted and run down. I'd be so happy to be offered redundancy right now! Anyway, sorry, seem to have gone off on a tangent moaning about all of my woes. I guess I'm trying to tell you to just go for it if it's in any way possible - I certainly would! X

Thats terrible and i can sympathise and understand where your coming from, i get very tired as my job is high workload and i am only one doing it, so when im off no one covers for me and i have an even higher workload when i come back, and what with my illnesses, that started me off thinking of what i really wanted to do, i want to be fullt time with my animals really, but know logically and financially i cant, so have to think of other ways to be able to spend more time with them and do a job i really want to do.....it might end up me not being able to give up work and attend a course full time, as i dont want to lose my house and have to give up my animals becasue i have no money......its so frustrating, but i will investigate all avenues and try my hardest to pursue what i want to do x

0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Old 24-05-2013, 09:55 AM   #30
Pussygalore
Adult

I do think we sometimes over estimate what we could live on, my hubby earns more than he ever has before but a few years back we survived on half the amount and never thought anything about it just got on with it. Now even on a higher wage we often think its not enough, the more you have the more you seem to spend and the more you want. There are many ways of cutting back and often just shopping somewhere cheaper such as Lidles or Aldies can save a lot of money, our weekly shop is now down to under £50 at Aldies and used to be much more at Tesco and we could cut it more if we tried. We don't drink, hubby smokes and go out on the bikes or walk the dog at the weekends instead of going around the shops where you always seem to spend money, we like to go to the market on sats as the veg is cheaper and so are some other household things, I use freecycle a lot so haven't had to pay for any 'white goods' for years. I'm not saying we're good at managing our money but we are trying, did anyone see the boy in the paper who collects coupons and saves his mother nearly all her shop bill, I doubt I'd have the patience to do that but it obviously works. One thing if you were on a much lower wage would you be entitled to help with the council tax etc?

Last edited by Pussygalore; 24-05-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote