Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 14-12-2015, 09:25 PM   #1
Gordon
Adult

Default What do you do Christmas eve

Ok we are all different and that means we all selerbrate things differently so what do you all do on Christmas Eve.

Last edited by Gordon; 15-12-2015 at 06:44 AM.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 09:51 PM   #2
Jan W
Sub Adult

Most times on Christmas Eve I have worked and gone round the wards singing Christmas Carols.

My usual routine otherwise is to drink champagne while I wrap the presents with lots of candles lit. Woodburner going. Christmas Carols - classical and pop, German too.

I used to put up the tree, but have succumbed to doing this much earlier now.

Salmon probably for dinner. It used to be goose, but I don't eat meat anymore.

Well, you know lots about me now!

Jan
Jan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 09:52 PM   #3
Jan W
Sub Adult

Gordon - just realised - you should have started. What do you do?
Jan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 10:04 PM   #4
emma_mcraf
Adult

We have our Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve - the full works, crackers, etc. Then I go and sit and watch Carols from Kings on the TV with a cup of tea while the kids wash up. Then they have a Christmas Eve bag of goodies - new pjs, slippers, dressing gowns, fluffy socks...that sort of thing and 'snowman soup'. I make up a little bag with hot chocolate, mini marshmallows, chocolate chips and a candy cane and they have it before bed. Then hubby and I chill in front of the TV and later put all the pressies under the tree.

Christmas Day is all the cold meats, cheeses, coleslaw, potato salad, mince pies, Yule log, nibbles, etc. We unwrap pressies, eat and drink (lots of Buck's Fizz for me) and chill out in front of the tele. Boxing Day is more of the same and we have the Christmas Pud for tea.

I thought we were unusual in having our dinner on Christmas Eve but we decided to do it when the kids were little so Christmas Day wasn't wasted spending so much time on cooking but we could get the toys out of the packaging, put batteries in them and sit and play with the kids, etc.
They're all much older now but we've kept up the routine as it leads to a chilled out family Christmas and we've discovered lots of people do something similar.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 10:53 PM   #5
markbigears
Incubating

Christmas Eve, I'll be mostly commuting up to London and back again for work. Get in about 8pm, probably have a small tipple with the wife before putting the excited 11 year old boy to bed!! Can't wait for Christmas Day!!!
Old 15-12-2015, 03:58 PM   #6
CherryBrandy
Adult

It just sounds bliss Emma... Ragnar is missing is the only thing!! but some good substitutes, like smooth chocolate. We all use to change and go to the nightclub...disco time ! straight from work at about 14.00 in the afternoon, did it for years, really quite weird when I look back now and then to the midnight carol service ......always so tuneful....but then again you always think you are with carols....

usually now a walk with the doggies and pull up the drawbridge for the night with a good comedy DVD. Love Peter Kay especially.....Must have a laugh on Christmas Eve...traditional along with the Snowball ....! (that's not made of snow).

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_mcraf View Post
We have our Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve - the full works, crackers, etc. Then I go and sit and watch Carols from Kings on the TV with a cup of tea while the kids wash up. Then they have a Christmas Eve bag of goodies - new pjs, slippers, dressing gowns, fluffy socks...that sort of thing and 'snowman soup'. I make up a little bag with hot chocolate, mini marshmallows, chocolate chips and a candy cane and they have it before bed. Then hubby and I chill in front of the TV and later put all the pressies under the tree.

Christmas Day is all the cold meats, cheeses, coleslaw, potato salad, mince pies, Yule log, nibbles, etc. We unwrap pressies, eat and drink (lots of Buck's Fizz for me) and chill out in front of the tele. Boxing Day is more of the same and we have the Christmas Pud for tea.

I thought we were unusual in having our dinner on Christmas Eve but we decided to do it when the kids were little so Christmas Day wasn't wasted spending so much time on cooking but we could get the toys out of the packaging, put batteries in them and sit and play with the kids, etc.
They're all much older now but we've kept up the routine as it leads to a chilled out family Christmas and we've discovered lots of people do something similar.
Old 15-12-2015, 04:34 PM   #7
Gordon
Adult

All sounds nice we normally go to see a film then go out for a meal after but this year the girls aren't that bothered with seeing a film so not sure what we are going to do.
Old 15-12-2015, 04:42 PM   #8
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
All sounds nice we normally go to see a film then go out for a meal after but this year the girls aren't that bothered with seeing a film so not sure what we are going to do.
what no Star Wars...? stay away from the coughs and colds Gordon ! CB
Old 15-12-2015, 05:24 PM   #9
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
what no Star Wars...? stay away from the coughs and colds Gordon ! CB
Not exactly a Christmas film is it.
Old 15-12-2015, 05:56 PM   #10
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Not exactly a Christmas film is it.
I think the conundrum is we don't know what Christmas may look like in the future. who is to say that the wookie furry thing isn't our present day reindeer...