Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 13-12-2015, 11:56 PM   #1
markbigears
Incubating

Default How much to feed in pictures

Hi all, been a couple of weeks now of tort ownership so things have settled down a bit now. One thing that I can't get a definite answer too though is how much to safely feed. I've read on a few sites that say feed about the size of their carapace.

Then I see photos like this:

So today I took a few photos of differing amounts that might help us new owners the actual quantity to feed.

I would really appreciate your input as to which one is correct:

Old 14-12-2015, 06:01 AM   #2
Stellanne
Hatchling

I don't think I am going to be much help if you want a definitive answer Mark because one day mine could eat as little as you have in the first picture, other days they will really pig out. And of course there is a lot of 'wastage' by the time leaves have been dragged around and covered with substrate. X x x. Hugs x x x
Stellanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 07:51 AM   #3
sandy
Adult

If feeding weeds then the second picture.
If lettuce then the same, but its really junk food for tortoises, and should only be fed occasionally if not at all.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 08:39 AM   #4
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
If feeding weeds then the second picture.
If lettuce then the same, but its really junk food for tortoises, and should only be fed occasionally if not at all.
I would agree with what sandy has said as it's just one tortoise you are feeding you should be able to find enough real weeds around all winter to feed.
It's when you have loads to feed over the winter it becomes a bit of a problem .
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 09:51 AM   #5
markbigears
Incubating

Thanks Stellanne, Sandy and Gordon. I was using this the photos as a guide not what constitutes a torts diet but to gauge amount. Asda let me down on the food front this week so had to use this for a day. Off to get some lambs lettuce and baby leaves today. I can't risk popping out to get weeds for another 2 weeks, I don't want the boy to know the tort is home!

Last edited by markbigears; 14-12-2015 at 09:57 AM.
markbigears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 02:55 PM   #6
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

There are weeds about in the winter, plantain is a good one for them but a lot of other edible weeds that you may find they simply won't eat them. Cactus, aloe, butternut squash, chicory are things that can be bought from shops but again, they may not eat them and can't be fed every day. Lettuce is basically about 95% water. The availability of weeds in winter also depends on where you live, okay in the south of England maybe but in the north of Scotland it's not especially if you are in areas where the snow starts late September through to early May. Lots of people who don't hibernate their torts use pellets like T-Rex dry formula a couple of times a week along with shop bought plants. Campanula is a good plant that is available all winter, look out for it being sold in places like homebase and garden centres. Remember that in the wild torts are able to eat as much as they want provided there is enough for them in the first place and in the summer I don't restrict mine from eating as much as they want out there in the garden. I've never really understood the need to restrict them but everyone has their own theories.
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 03:03 PM   #7
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Just want to repeat what Alan said about Plantain. An excellent tortoise food that can be found all year round. Except under very harsh frosty and icy conditions there is always enough plantain to be found to feed a little one or two.
Old 14-12-2015, 03:08 PM   #8
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I planted some seeds in a half barrel tub thing and it's just there permanently growing. It's the long thin kind, slender is it called? It was from seeds I got from shelled warriors I think, not sure if it took 2 years for them to come up though. Just dig some up from somewhere and transplant it.
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 05:13 PM   #9
CherryBrandy
Adult

yep top picture for me. as Stellanne says there is usually some wastage. I also feed if weeds scarce , clover gone or vine leafs and gooseberry leaves not out, - watercress (free of stalks) lambs lettuce (expensive now as have to ship it in so isn't in supermarkets much) rocket - expensive dandelion leafs, and some of the lettuces cut up, tomatoes cut up. sometimes grated carrot, (moderation cause of the tannins) sometimes peppers diced small, but weeds so much better for them and reflect natural grazing. But I give loads, I don't skimp. And is that spinach? Spinach is usually a no really but I know some TK's do use it. CB
Old 14-12-2015, 06:06 PM   #10
markbigears
Incubating

thanks CB, no defo not spinach, i checked the packet, i think it is chard.... bought some rocket and lambs lettuce today ..... had a laugh with a member of staff in Waitrose when i enquired about globe artichoke, she said "we dont have any fresh, but have them in oil"....... i declined saying they are for my tortoise ... she laughed!