Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 25-10-2015, 01:34 PM   #1
vikki
Hatched

Default Drying weeds

Does anyone on here dry their own weeds?
If so what method do you use? If you use an oven what temperature do you use and how long do you leave them in? Does anybody use a food dehydrator - if so how long do weeds take in one of these? Thanks in advance
vikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 01:57 PM   #2
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikki View Post
If so what method do you use? If you use an oven what temperature do you use and how long do you leave them in? Does anybody use a food dehydrator - if so how long do weeds take in one of these? Thanks in advance
Sorry no:0(

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 02:17 PM   #3
wigwamman
Juvenile

i have a bag of dried weeds from last year,i just pick,wash ,then leave in the greenhouse in a potting tray turning them over until dry.they are then hung in a carrier bag to dry further.i add a small quantity of dried weeds onto fresh weeds when feeding.nothing technical here!
wigwamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 03:01 PM   #4
vikki
Hatched

thanks- would that work do you think at this time of year or should I put them on the radiator or similar?
Old 25-10-2015, 04:28 PM   #5
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Vikki I do sometimes wonder why I pick the dried out weeds from the pens but the little ones seems to struggle with them. Be interested to hear views. good thread by the way good to learn from others.
Old 25-10-2015, 05:12 PM   #6
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
Vikki I do sometimes wonder why I pick the dried out weeds from the pens but the little ones seems to struggle with them. Be interested to hear views. good thread by the way good to learn from others.
But dry weeds are excellent fibre for tortoises. They will eat dried weeds if left to it. But like most of us they will eat lush weeds first:0)

Old 25-10-2015, 05:38 PM   #7
vikki
Hatched

This kind of links with my other thread with regards fast weight gain and it seems some think that providing dried weeds/food can help to slow weight gain as obviously in the wild they would not always have lovely lush weeds but would spend quite a period of the year eating very poor/dry vegetation. One recommendation that I have seen is to feed green weeds one day then dried weeds the next then on third day feed pre alpin or similar. I am considering trying this to see how it goes at least for over the winter and because I still have the glut of lavetera etc and weeds are still fairly easy to find now it would be a good way to preserve them for over the winter period and would help to try and avoid the need for salad stuff so all thoughts etc gratefully received
Old 25-10-2015, 06:17 PM   #8
sandy
Adult

Quote:
This kind of links with my other thread with regards fast weight gain and it seems some think that providing dried weeds/food can help to slow weight gain as obviously in the wild they would not always have lovely lush weeds but would spend quite a period of the year eating very poor/dry vegetation. One recommendation that I have seen is to feed green weeds one day then dried weeds the next then on third day feed pre alpin or similar. I am considering trying this to see how it goes at least for over the winter and because I still have the glut of lavetera etc and weeds are still fairly easy to find now it would be a good way to preserve them for over the winter period and would help to try and avoid the need for salad stuff so all thoughts etc gratefully received
Exactly Vikki. The real eating period is from getting up from hibernation until around August, then is a slow wind down, when lush weeds are more scarce.

Old 25-10-2015, 06:38 PM   #9
Stellanne
Hatchling

And this is the time when weeds are left to dry out naturally and our rots choose to eat them x x x hugs x x x
Stellanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 11:48 AM   #10
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
But dry weeds are excellent fibre for tortoises. They will eat dried weeds if left to it. But like most of us they will eat lush weeds first:0)
I will try harder next year, I know you are right and it seems such a waste, but its the look on their faces when you approach without the lush ones ! CB