Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 21-06-2014, 12:58 AM   #1
LadyT
Egg

Default I don't think my Tort is eating enough and I'm worried :(

Hi,

I'm concerned about my 3 month old Hermann Tortoise. He doesn't eat very much lately. Today all he had was some squash and one tiny leaf of dandelion. The piece of squash was the size of his head. Is that really enough to fill him up?

He also has become fixated on eating green leaf lettuce. He went through a phase of only wanting dandelions but now it's this green leaf lettuce. He had one bite of Mazuri pellet yesterday, a few bites of squash and lettuce. But it seems like his appetite is less lately.

His lights are about 38 to 40 degrees celcius for the heat lamp. He has a separate UVB light. The rest of his cage is approximately 20 to 27 degrees. I also give him a CHE at night and it's 25 degrees. He lives on Coco coir and has spider plants and rocks to hide and a plant pot.

He sleeps almost ALL Day. Seriously, only awake maybe an hour a day when I wake him up for his bath. He soaks for about 15 to 20 minutes and then eats.

I'm worried he is not eating enough.
LadyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2014, 07:19 AM   #2
Lorna
Egg

His temps are far too high. He doesn't need any extra heat at night, and 25 C is fine during the day. He's not coming out because he's too hot.

Lorna
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2014, 07:39 AM   #3
Pussygalore
Adult

agree the temps are far to high, 32-34c basking area and 20 - 22c the rest and no heat at night, he's hiding because its to hot.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2014, 08:54 AM   #4
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyT View Post
Hi,

I'm concerned about my 3 month old Hermann Tortoise. He doesn't eat very much lately. Today all he had was some squash and one tiny leaf of dandelion. The piece of squash was the size of his head. Is that really enough to fill him up?

He also has become fixated on eating green leaf lettuce. He went through a phase of only wanting dandelions but now it's this green leaf lettuce. He had one bite of Mazuri pellet yesterday, a few bites of squash and lettuce. But it seems like his appetite is less lately.

His lights are about 38 to 40 degrees celcius for the heat lamp. He has a separate UVB light. The rest of his cage is approximately 20 to 27 degrees. I also give him a CHE at night and it's 25 degrees. He lives on Coco coir and has spider plants and rocks to hide and a plant pot.

He sleeps almost ALL Day. Seriously, only awake maybe an hour a day when I wake him up for his bath. He soaks for about 15 to 20 minutes and then eats.

I'm worried he is not eating enough.
I don't think I would be eating with temps that high:0)
I would be asleep, or totally zonked.
As the other have said, your temps are far too high.
And no heat at night, tortoises can deal with normal house temps during the night. Even in the Winter, they don't have extra heat at night, unless your house temps go down to 5c or below.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2014, 03:40 PM   #5
LadyT
Egg

Oh that makes sense. Poor little guy. I also heard that the coil UVB light I have been using hurts his eyes. I turned it off last night and he was out for longer. I am going to buy a tube light this weekend.

Okay so no ceramic heat emitter at night and I'll move the basking heatlamp higher so its not so hot.

He came out last night after his UVB coil light was turned off and ate a lot more too. Poor tortoise. He is probably thinking "what the heck are you doing lady?"

Thank you so much.
Old 21-06-2014, 03:41 PM   #6
Merlin M
Adult

Can take some fiddling to get the temps right!
Merlin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 12:52 AM   #7
LadyT
Egg

well, good news, he was up most of the day for once. I now have a flourescent tube UVB light and also have his basking area at 32 degrees. He is more active and he also ate quite a bit today. Woot!
He is currently having his bath. Thanks again!
Old 24-06-2014, 07:02 AM   #8
Merlin M
Adult

That sounds great!
Merlin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 03:25 PM   #9
LadyT
Egg

Hey everyone, Just wanted to say thank you again for helping me out with the temps. Ormond is doing so much better He is up and out everyday and puts himself to sleep around 6-7pm at night. He is eating like a champ and did a big poop in his bath yesterday. LOL

Plus he is much more fiesty when I pick him up! So thank you so much.
Old 26-06-2014, 04:36 PM   #10
lonelylayla
Sub Adult

That's great news - glad Ormond is so much better

TG Terresteris 1:3:1 Apollo & Layla, Santa, Helpa & Unig
TG Iberia 2:3:0 Tonka, LJ, Persephone, Cleo & Clyde
Saffron TGG RIP Jaunary 2019
Jasper, Harry & Ruby pussy cats
4 ex bat hens.
lonelylayla is offline   Reply With Quote