Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 08-06-2014, 08:44 PM   #1
Mighty_Quinn
Hatchling

Default leaving bath in tortoise table unattended......

Does anyone leave a water bowl in the tortoise table all the time even when not home? Quinn can climb out no bother but can't decide if I should leave it in when I'm at work.........this is where I've got it is it too close to heat source as it keeps it room temp
Old 08-06-2014, 08:52 PM   #2
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Quinn View Post
Does anyone leave a water bowl in the tortoise table all the time even when not home? Quinn can climb out no bother but can't decide if I should leave it in when I'm at work.........this is where I've got it is it too close to heat source as it keeps it room temp
I have always had a container of rain water in my enclosures, from hatching. I do put some small stones in if the tortoise is very small, so they have something to push against if they should turn over. But I don't have the water under the light. Its always away from heat, as they could turn over in the water and be fried by the heat.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:22 PM   #3
emma_mcraf
Adult

I have water bowls in all my tortoise tables. I don't keep them near the heat source though as the water starts to evaporate and like Sandy says, I have stones in for my smaller torts.
I like them to have access to water at all times, even though they are bathed every other day and my youngsters every day.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 01:20 PM   #4
Pussygalore
Adult

I always had water dishes in the torts enclosures/tables it didn't matter whether they used them or not I think all animals/birds should have water access.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:55 PM   #5
GemJam
Incubating

I keep a water dish in the enclosure all day. I put stones round the outside to reduce the amount of soil going into the water (it still ends up dirty) and my tort loves going in and out of it. I also give her a bath everyday. But I have positioned it further away from the heat source.

1 Hermanns Tortoise - Hettie
GemJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:03 AM   #6
crazy_sailor
Incubating

Yep, I do. I use a shallowish bowl (he can still drink from it) at the other end of from his basking lamp so if he does 'turn turtle' he isnt stuck under the heat. Its one of those standard ExoTerra types from pet shops that look like a rocky pond/puddle. I have rarely (if ever) had to right him from his water bowl as he can generally always get himself up. Also if the bowl is far enough away from the side of the enclosure then he cant then climb up the side and fall back into his bowl.
1.0.0 Shih Tzu - Diesel
1.0.0 Hermann - Jenson
0.0.2 Musk Turtle - Scran & Spanner
crazy_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:03 PM   #7
Pussygalore
Adult

the dishes that have a kind of 'beach'shallow slope going into a deeper back are good ones as the slope is easy for any size tort to go up/down, they only have 3 sides if you know what I mean.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote