Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Shelled Warriors Shop, Classifieds and Rehoming > Missing/Found/Stolen

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 08:00 PM   #1
and1ek
Egg

Default Lost my 50yr Old Rustic Spur Thigh-FOUND

Hi Can someone please put my mind to rest, Cecil came out of hibernation 4 weeks ago and is very healthy. I turned my back on him for 10 mins in my garden and he has gone. He does love to dig into grass but I cannot find him. It was 7 degrees last night the same as tonight and todays temp was 14 degrees but yet no sign of him coming out. Do you think he has gone back into hibernation??? Tomorrow is forecast again 14 degrees is this warm enough so he come out and plays?? I am so worried...................

Last edited by egyptiandan64; 20-05-2013 at 01:19 AM.
Old 13-03-2011, 05:15 PM   #2
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi

sorry to hear about your tortoise, 14 degrees isn't really warm enough for a tort to be active but if the sun's out then he may find a warm spot in your garden.

He has probably dug himself sown somewhere - look for disturbed soil, around the bases of shrubs, or any little sheltered spot.

Is he able to get out of your garden?
Old 13-03-2011, 05:52 PM   #3
and1ek
Egg

No he cannot get out of the garden but we have a large lawn, I turned my back on him for 10mins and he vanished. Nobody had entered the garden so I know he wasn't stolen. The sun is supposed to be out tomorrow first thing and 12 degrees, I really hope he come out as I miss him so much. I have checked every inch of the lawn and under leaves etc but still no sign
Old 13-03-2011, 07:04 PM   #4
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Well good luck, I really hope he makes an appearance tomorrow.
The one thing I've learned from reading posts on here is to not give up. some people have found their torts months, even years later.

You are on the right side of spring and summer so fingers crossed he doesn't keep you waiting too long.

Keep us updated
Old 13-03-2011, 09:28 PM   #5
jayne2942
Hatchling

Let's hope he makes an appearance tommorrow as it's supposed to be a warm day,best of luck in finding him.
Jayne
pond fish
4 baby horsfield hatchlings
Old 13-03-2011, 09:52 PM   #6
and1ek
Egg

I am thinking about renting a thermal infrared camera, has anyone ever tried to find a tortoise with one of these???? She must have some sort of heat that I could detect her
Old 14-03-2011, 08:10 AM   #7
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

I wouldn't have thought so if she hasn't basked and warmed up..torts are cold blooded...
Old 14-03-2011, 09:34 AM   #8
Pussygalore
Adult

if he'd dug down through the lawn you'd notice it, look where theres any exposed soil around/under trees/plants it would take him a while to get through a decent lawn and neither of my two adults have ever been bothered to try. Plus torts rarely sit out in the open and make for the edges and cover, if you're lucky you might spot an area that has been disturbed but I'd ignore the lawn (unless its very rough).
Old 14-03-2011, 11:07 AM   #9
iona_tortoise
Incubating

still no sign of the tort? mine prefer to dig in corners or around the edges of the garden.
Old 14-03-2011, 04:50 PM   #10
jandh
Hatched

Try not to panic , they do love to find a spot right under bushes or trees and dig right down .

Tags
lost