Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 28-12-2015, 02:13 PM   #1
TB
Egg

Default Greacia Woken up two months early, worried

For the first time in over 30 years Oswald (possibly female) has woken up during hibernation . He stopped eating about 2.5 months ago and put himself to bed in his box in the shed the same way he does every year. He appeared to sleep for the first two weeks. Then he woke up with the warm weather. He has been coming out of his box for the past month. He only moves a few feet but is awake. He has never done this before. He appears to have no interest in food.

We can bring him in put him under a lamp, warm him up and try to get him eating but is this the right thing to do?

Oswald is around 100 years old he is very set in his ways and we are worried. Any advice gratefully received.
Old 28-12-2015, 05:08 PM   #2
Gordon
Adult

What type of Greaca is he.If you are sure on his age I would say he is a Tgg which if an algirian a lot of people say not to hibernate them anyway.
If he is that old personally I would warm him up and give him a good soak then if you can keep him up.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 07:19 PM   #3
Pussygalore
Adult

I'd be concerned that if your tort is awake then it will be using up its fat and water stores so if it was mine I'd be inclined to try to wake him properly under lights/heat etc and bathe him so he has a chance to drink.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 07:23 PM   #4
TB
Egg

We inherited him from an eighty year old neighbor who had owned him from childhood. He has always looked after himself. When the neighbor owned him he was left in the garden to dig himself in for the winter.

In the years we have had him he still insists on living outdoors and foraging in the garden. He hibernates himself (now in a bed of dry soil, leaves, and hay in his own shed). He Normally sleeps from autumn half term to spring half term.

We are not sure of his species or his sex but it is thought that he is a Greacia

http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...730#post156730
Old 28-12-2015, 07:27 PM   #5
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB View Post
We inherited him from an eighty year old neighbor who had owned him from childhood. He has always looked after himself. When the neighbor owned him he was left in the garden to dig himself in for the winter.

In the years we have had him he still insists on living outdoors and foraging in the garden. He hibernates himself (now in a bed of dry soil, leaves, and hay in his own shed). He Normally sleeps from autumn half term to spring half term.

We are not sure of his species or his sex but it is thought that he is a Greacia

http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...730#post156730
Had a look at the pics but need one of the top of its shell.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 09:29 AM   #6
Pussygalore
Adult

the problem with using a shed for hibernation is that its affected by the outside temps as you have found, you really need a brick building or to make an insulated area inside the shed. The temps need to be around 5c for a tort to properly hibernate, in a garden the tort would dig up/down depending on the ground temp which it can't do in a shed. Our unpredictable winters are why many have to resort to using a fridge if they want to safely carry on hibernating. We have used a shed before but partitioned of an area with ply, lined it with loft insulation and had a removable insulated front/door, on a cold night it would be left open to get cold inside then once the door was put back it would stay cold ( 5c or so) the torts were put inside a wooden box again with cold bedding. The shed also had a heater on a thermostat if it turned really cold, the days of allowing/hoping the tort will look after itself have gone as we now know so much more making hibernation safer and less of a gamble.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 11:03 AM   #7
CherryBrandy
Adult

TB if it was me with these circumstances I would wake Oswald totally. The chemical reaction on waking has probably kicked in and won't be reversed easily. I had a beautiful tortoise 80 years old who hibernated every year in the garden of her keeper, no check on her snow rain etc and she was perfectly ok. I think it is a difficult one this year as I also use sheds, and outdoors for natural hibernation and so far not had a problem at all. This year is exceptionally warm (first time 1this warm in 100 years??) so it is not suprising Oswald, along with the daffodils has woken early ! Oswald looks like a Whitei to me but the weight of her could give good indication too ...Take care hope it goes well, CB
Old 29-12-2015, 04:30 PM   #8
Jan W
Sub Adult

I'm the same as CB and just as worried about warmth. So far OK it seems, but I may well wake them up next week if this continues and after checking weight loss.
Jan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 04:53 PM   #9
TB
Egg

Update - we brought him in. He didn't need waking up as he was wide awake. He turned his nose up at his specially prepared box with hay and is currently sulking under the sofa in the kitchen.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:19 PM   #10
Jan W
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB View Post
Update - we brought him in. He didn't need waking up as he was wide awake. He turned his nose up at his specially prepared box with hay and is currently sulking under the sofa in the kitchen.
Thanks for update. It is good to know what everyone decides.

As it is colder my two seem settled. 1st January I thought Bertie was ready to get up as he seemed to be scratching around for a few hours and I thought that seemed a long time. His head was out, but eyes firmly shut and felt cold. Beatrice I heard scratching for about a minute today and then silence and the first time I have heard her. Not sure whether I am listening more intently/regularly because of the warmth. Currently 8 degrees for them. I plan to weigh this weekend. Decisions! Decisions!
Jan W is offline   Reply With Quote