Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 04-06-2013, 08:18 AM   #11
emma_mcraf
Adult

I've done that Dan and I can see the black shape that I assume are the baby's head/legs. I can't really make out what is what though and wouldn't have a clue if the baby was upside down or not.
The air pocket is quite normal I believe since researching a little more last night. Should I be looking for changes in it? I read somewhere that it gets smaller or becomes more ragged as it gets nearer to the hatchling pipping.
I've become a proper 'Anxious Annie'!!

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:30 AM   #12
Suze65
Adult

Have a look at this Emma , it goes on a few pages, but great pics thro to hatchinghttp://www.tortoise-island.com/egg-development-pictures-t887.html

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:50 AM   #13
emma_mcraf
Adult

Thanks Suze. I've already got the photos printed out and have been using them as my guide through candling.
No mention of the air pocket though and candling from above like Dave did in those photos is futile with mine. I'm going to have to try and just be patient.....

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine

Old 04-06-2013, 11:28 AM   #14
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Was the bottom of the egg yellow or orange Emma? Did you see any movement?

Danny
Old 04-06-2013, 12:28 PM   #15
kazzabb
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_mcraf View Post
Thanks Suze. I've already got the photos printed out and have been using them as my guide through candling.
No mention of the air pocket though and candling from above like Dave did in those photos is futile with mine. I'm going to have to try and just be patient.....
Emma, what kind of torch do you have? - mine's a cheap Tesco £2.99 led one, and very strong normally, but I don't think strong enough, as from about day 50 I couldn't see anything in the eggs - I think I need a torch with the strength of a blow-torch or welding torch - anyone got any good brands? E
mma, I'm really feeling for you, I've got 1x spur thighed egg on day 69, and six on day 49, and I can't leave them alone...
It's making me into some kind of mad wishing-the-clock-would-hurry up! kind of person. And Jeez, yesterday I put a hose into the deep tray of soil in the greenhouse to dampen it and dug it over, and smashed 7 buried eggs. A sad destruction, there is only one large female in there now, but I don't think any male got to her in Winter, her last lot were infertile, and, I've got enough eggs for the moment. even so, I felt bad after such an effort by her. She had a nice warm bath and has extra vits and will have two dinners today.
Keep us posted on the egg.
Karen
Old 04-06-2013, 12:33 PM   #16
pagan queen
Adult

You could try one of these torches Karen, I have one for my budgie eggs and it's just the right size and strength for candling. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-3W-Wat...item1c334365b3
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #17
kazzabb
Hatched

ooh thanks, will get one next time I venture out. My day 69 egg just pipped! I've got a massive pile of work on my desk, more in my email inbox, the house is a tip, hubby due back tomorrow, hols in 10 days and all summer clothes in attic needing freshening/ironing etc, and I can't drag my bins away from the incubator. PLEASE HELP ME..........
thanks, Karen x
Old 04-06-2013, 01:18 PM   #18
emma_mcraf
Adult

I've got a Silverline torch. This one: http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Ligh.../sd2490/p37305

Dan, I'll have to wait until it's darker this evening to candle again, it's so bright and sunny here today. I'll also get hubby to try and take some photos while I'm candling. I tried to look for yellow/orange thinking I could locate the yolk sac and then at least know baby is safely up the right way, but I'm not sure I could see that much.
As for movement, I thought I saw a little squirm of the dark shape, but then I can't be 100% sure.

I've been trying not to open the incubator door or take the egg out too much as I don't want to delay it hatching any longer by taking it away from it's heat and humidity.

Good luck with your egg Karen.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:23 PM   #19
pagan queen
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_mcraf View Post
I've got a Silverline torch. This one: http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Ligh.../sd2490/p37305

Dan, I'll have to wait until it's darker this evening to candle again, it's so bright and sunny here today.
Stop showing off Emma. It's freezing here. The sun bobs out now and then but the wind is gusting and cold. The weather man said the whole country will be warm and sunny, then added with the exception of the south east corner, where it will be cloudy and have coastal winds. He even pointed to our little area.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:47 PM   #20
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagan queen View Post
Stop showing off Emma. It's freezing here. The sun bobs out now and then but the wind is gusting and cold. The weather man said the whole country will be warm and sunny, then added with the exception of the south east corner, where it will be cloudy and have coastal winds. He even pointed to our little area.
Ha ha Wendy!!!
If it makes you feel better we had it cool on Sunday, when I believe the rest of the country had it a bit warmer. Gorgeous here today. Just doing my mother's online shopping list () and then off to sit in the garden with my book for half an hour.