Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 27-11-2011, 09:02 PM   #11
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Forgot to say that the "black spots" are the eggs chalking. The eggs shells change to be more porus when an embryo starts and needs oxygen. As more oxygen is needed the egg will go all over "chalked".

Danny
Old 29-11-2011, 07:06 AM   #12
Aeromonas
Egg

Wink

Thanks Danny, Andy, Helen & "Ziggy's Owner".

I am learning a lot from you guys, now i know the round spot is "Chalking", and it is getting bigger, this is really great (last year all the eggs spoiled due to wrong incubation condition).
Too bad egg no. 2 don't seems to be fertile, i'll still carry on with it since Andy mentioned chalking may comes within "couple of weeks", now only the
9th day.
I'll keep monitor them, .... and look forward to more clutches soon.

(Special thanks to Danny who help to put up my photos. Hope i manage to do it myself next time without bothering anyone in the forum).

Thanks!!!!!
Aeromonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 11:57 AM   #13
ziggy's owner
Adult

Good luck and keep us posted

2.0.0 spur thighs
2.3.0 hermanns
2.1.1 marginated
0.0.4 leopard
2.8.0 guinea pigs
1.2.0 Springers
1.0.0 hamster
0.0.1 Blue Tongue skink
2.2.0 Beardies
And tropical fish
Also have baby marginated tortoises for sale
ziggy's owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:31 AM   #14
Aeromonas
Egg

Question Day 40th, 1 gone, 2 still fertile?

2 days ago was the 40th day. The 2nd egg that Danny said not fertile showed a cracked line. How accurate was Danny's observation!
1st and 3rd eggs didn't seem to make noticeable changes lately. The "chalking" seem stop half way as the photos showed since 2 weeks ago. Another reddish brown layer has formed at the bottom about a week ago. I don't have good feeling about this, are they still good? I cross my fingers awaiting your comment. Thanks again!!!!!

Last edited by Aeromonas; 01-01-2012 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Photos did not appear...
Old 01-01-2012, 04:51 PM   #15
andy1
Hatched

I would say they still look ok,when infertile they remain either clear or start to go a mottled brown tinge. be patient as i said originally it takes a while to see the veins in mine.

keep us posted.

regards Andy

3 groups of adult indian stars

2 breeding groups . , babies expected from august 2012onwardslewis.67@googlemail.com
andy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:50 AM   #16
Aeromonas
Egg

Thanks Andy. A good news indeed. I shall continue to monitor and keep posting the development.
While replying this post, just noticed from the photo that i posted earlier, there is a very faint circle brownish shade at the lower right corner of egg 3. I checked again the actual egg and confirmed there is something there, not a shadow or anything. Is this something significant?

Thanks!
Old 03-01-2012, 01:00 PM   #17
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

They both still look good to me also You can see the embryo in egg #3 just above the yolk line (it's the little red dot in the middle of the egg).

Danny
Old 04-01-2012, 05:49 AM   #18
Aeromonas
Egg

Embryo!!!!! That's something exciting to learn. I noticed this small reddish dot a week or two ago. Thought it was some kind of stain on the inner surface of egg shell. Also glad to learn that the brownish/reddish bottom layer is actually egg yolk. I became worry when first saw it, thought that the eggs might have turned bad and rotten stuff settled down to the bottom. Very happy indeed. Thanks Danny !!!!!
Old 11-01-2012, 05:58 AM   #19
Aeromonas
Egg

On day 47th, some changes to egg #3, the embryo seems to have moved down a bit and became not so clear. On day 50th, the embryo almost not visible but something circular (about half cm) diameter formed around it. Please see attached photo. What it is?
Also attached herewith the egg #1 photo taken on day 50th. No obvious changes.
Are the eggs still good? Thanksssss....

Old 11-01-2012, 01:22 PM   #20
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Thats a very good sign with egg #3 That round ring is whats called "the ring of life". It means the egg is developing and the embryo is growing. Egg #1 still looks good, just that it hasn't started to develop yet.

Danny