Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 02-03-2018, 01:26 PM   #1
Viktoria
Egg

Default Immune system

hi Do you have any methods to improve tortoises immune system? I have a russian tort with very low immune system ( I dont know his past). We are searching for reason of that, but maybe you have some proven methods?
Viktoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 01:39 PM   #2
Gordon
Adult

Hi Viktoria
When you say he has a low imune system are you saying he has a breathing problem runny nose or generally just lethargic.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 01:51 PM   #3
Viktoria
Egg

He is catching different infections. We got him with necrosis in part of tail and eyes cover in white color. We amputated this part of tail where it was needed. Than necrosis went upper, he had some bloody petechiae (?) after antybiotics injections. He got some mucus inside mouth, he was very weak. We checked if its not a herpes virus, but its not. He got some painkillers and antibiotisc, then it was better. He was weak but he started to eat. Now he got some infection in eyes :/
I hope its understandable, english is not my everyday language
Old 03-03-2018, 09:52 AM   #4
CherryBrandy
Adult

oh dear sorry to hear about your tortoise but sounds like he is in very good hands. Reptoboost may help, to bathe him in. I am not sure what products you have in Poland but that is universal I think. Also calcium perhaps, nutrobal (powder).

Horsfields dont like too much heat but like dry rather than dam. If mine are under lamps I keep them around 25 - 29 ' degrees. other TK will give good advice and products too - all helpful. one of the biggest killer can be stress so try and keep him warm , dry and stress free - minimal handling etc, CB
Old 05-03-2018, 02:50 PM   #5
Viktoria
Egg

Thank you for advices, i will look for Reptoboost or something similar. We are working as tortoise rescue so many sick torts we got. We have fantastic vet, so he is in good hands
Now we will do more blood tests and also we will check poop in lab, maybe there will be some worms we couldnt see by microscope.
Old 05-03-2018, 03:05 PM   #6
Gordon
Adult

You need to keep him warm 24 hours a day for the anti biotics to work properly.
As for the mucus in his mouth it sounds like an upper respiratory infection which will clear up with the use of some f10 disinfectant in a nebuliser.
If he isn't already I would keep this tortoise in a vivarium while he is not well as it will maintain the heat better.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote