Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 25-11-2007, 07:18 PM   #21
lapa33
Egg

so much for good advice from the dealer. i was told only to give repetavite once a week. worming strength is 2.5 % panacur
lapa33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2007, 07:26 PM   #22
Jason1
Hatched

Just looked at my worming file and it is actually 0.4ml per 100g of the strength you have. Panacur has quite a wide safety margin so what you have been told is probably ok. If you are going to do it without seeing a vet then it needs to be repeated at ten day intervals three times.

Jason
Jason1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2007, 07:31 PM   #23
lapa33
Egg

thanks very much for your advice, just read your link!! what a shock and that dealer gets away with this, is this legal? as his certificate says captive bred but imported from slovinia
lapa33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2007, 07:34 PM   #24
nina
Adult

Hi Lapa,

I hope you're not overwhelmed with all the new advice you've been given, but I promise you the advice you get on here will be top notch. You obviously want to get things right for your torts, and that's great. In your first post you mentioned that 'the books' say you should hibernate for three weeks at the age of one year. I know you won't be hibernating yours this year, as you haven't had them long, but I would seriously consider throwing that book away, as three weeks hibernation will be of almost no benefit to your tortoises (you have to wind them down with no food for nearly three weeks, and only three weeks in hibernation is definitely of little benefit). For good all round advice on keeping med tortoises, have a good read of this site - it has good advice on housing, diet, and hibernation (and it's a downloadable booklet):
http://www.tlady.clara.net/TortGuide/index.htm
Also search the various threads on this forum, as most issues have been discussed in depth at one time or another. But do come back with any questions you might have - we always say that the only silly question is the one that isn't asked.
Old 25-11-2007, 07:36 PM   #25
Jason1
Hatched

They are captive bred but in slovenia, legally anyway. in 1984 there was a ban on importing wild caught tortoises from the eu. Slovenia only joined the eu in 2004 so the ban only apllied from that date. it is my opinion that the suppliers saw this coming so got a load of wild torts and stuck them in a farm to breed from and probably still catch wild ones to send over. The legality of it it only as strong as the ctites commity in slovenia. Defrea allow these torts in as long as they are accompanied with a cert and even admit themselves theres no way to guarantee these are all captive bred.

Jason
Jason1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2007, 07:40 PM   #26
Larrah
Hatchling

Hi Lapa,

Congratulations on the new torts...it was a good idea to come on here and talk.

I would recomend looking at the tortoise trust website...lots of info and guidance on how to look after tortoises http://www.tortoisetrust.org/

Hope they are both well and settleing in

xxx
Larrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2007, 07:57 PM   #27
Huanjie
Incubating

Send a message via MSN to Huanjie

I don't know the legislation things.

As for your tort, I suggest you don't put it in hibernation this year.
You can't be sure the healthy condition yet, and you also can't be sure how the original owner feed it in the autumn.
Therefore, you'd better make it awake (20 degree C - 25 degree C, temperature need't be too high) and ensure good feeding, then you can let it hibernate next year.
Huanjie is offline   Reply With Quote