Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Closed Thread

Old 30-10-2007, 10:18 PM   #31
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

Send a message via MSN to wildlifewarrior

lol "u got friends coming "

i don't understand the point being made about we brought them over here and so as mankind we think we can judge it. simpley it wud be foolish to just leave them to there own demise. humans created the problem and so we must stop it aswell. i completey understand that it is sad to have to kill an animal but it's either that or watch them destroy all are tree saplings, our red squirells, our birds eggs, our stag beetles and such. they orginated from the USA which is a little big bigger than britian. when the ww1 and ww2 was on and a greater threat was moving in on us we united together to stop it happening and becuase of that thousands if not millions of people were granted freedom and justice, don't you think these british animals shud get this right aswell. ( i know this is on a large scale but i needed to give a realistic comparasion).

this happens everyday with wild rabbits that have (forgot the name of the virus) a virus and need to be culled to stop the spread of it. what about all the cows,pigs,sheep,chickens that are killed everyday not becuase thet are harming anything but becuase i want my dinner and i ani't having salad. it''s a thing that happens.
Old 30-10-2007, 10:24 PM   #32
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Christian I whole heartedly agree with you We messed it up and we need to do all we can to fix it.

Let me get more shells Darren then you can send them all over.

Danny
Old 30-10-2007, 10:26 PM   #33
Dazza
Adult

Just give us the nod danny and we'll start sending them !!

Daz
Old 30-10-2007, 10:29 PM   #34
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

lol i feel guilty now after that post it sounded like u were saying it is ur fault that we have squirells haha.

dazza becarefl with squriells ..remember, they go stirght for the nuts
Old 30-10-2007, 10:55 PM   #35
EJ
Adult

The squirrels around here don't mess with the tortoises although they do raid the bird feeder.

I figure if man introduced them he can take them out... no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliepom
strange as it might sound the grey squirrel did not introduce himself here, he was brought by man! Although it was once believed to drive the red squirrel out of habitat it appears that it is simply better able to take advantage of the red squirrels habitat. Wild boar, ruddy ducks, ring necked parakeets and many more have also been introduced.
I don't think its our job to decide whether there are too many, population census say the grey squirrel population is stable.

Next it will be birds of prey, a tortoises natural enemy, or perhaps cats and dogs.
We all love our torts, but get a bit of perspective. No one species has more right than another
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
Old 30-10-2007, 11:07 PM   #36
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

does not happen that often but i do agree with u there ed.

"I figure if man introduced them he can take them out... no? "
Old 30-10-2007, 11:11 PM   #37
ME SHELL
Adult

Send a message via AIM to ME SHELL

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ
The squirrels around here don't mess with the tortoises although they do raid the bird feeder.

I figure if man introduced them he can take them out... no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliepom
strange as it might sound the grey squirrel did not introduce himself here, he was brought by man! Although it was once believed to drive the red squirrel out of habitat it appears that it is simply better able to take advantage of the red squirrels habitat. Wild boar, ruddy ducks, ring necked parakeets and many more have also been introduced.
I don't think its our job to decide whether there are too many, population census say the grey squirrel population is stable.

Next it will be birds of prey, a tortoises natural enemy, or perhaps cats and dogs.
We all love our torts, but get a bit of perspective. No one species has more right than another
No
Old 30-10-2007, 11:26 PM   #38
DAISY
Adult

You guys make me laugh.
I'd shoot the old lady Dazza, its the most humane thing to do for the squirrels

Rach

Mum to 12 horsfields, 2 redfoots, 2 spur-thighed, 4 dogs, 1 cat, 1 guinea pig, 3 chipmunks, 3 african pygmy hedgehogs, 4 bearded dragons, 1 goldfish. 2 daughters and 1 husband.
Old 31-10-2007, 12:23 AM   #39
EJ
Adult

Even in jest I notice this behavior is quite common among some tortoise factions... kill the people... save the animals.

Kinda misanthropic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY
You guys make me laugh.
I'd shoot the old lady Dazza, its the most humane thing to do for the squirrels

Rach
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
Old 31-10-2007, 02:09 AM   #40
Jacqui
Incubating

Send a message via Yahoo to Jacqui

Interesting arguement and I can see both sides.

My Mom was a lover of the squirrels and fed them. I enjoy watching them and would not hurt one, but also never encourage them. I was also raise thinking of them as a food source and my Mom often told of how when she and my father were first starting out money was really tight. My dad during squirrel hunting season did quite well. They had no freezer, but kept them all winter frozen on the back porch. This was my parents main staple to eat all winter. Here we have the red squirrel. Love traveling and seeing the grey and blacks, just waiting to see a white one.

Dan are the greys native to your area?

If the greys are killed out, I wonder what would take their spot? The red's are seeming to be too limited in their numbers to fully take back their range and nature won't let the area go unused.

How would they safely kill just the greys? Shooting? Is that concidered humane there?

Sounds like even without the human's feeding them, the greys still out survive the reds.

Back to the main question I too have never saw a squirrel harm a tort/turtle, back then when it comes to survival anything is fair food. I would never trust a hatchling or very young outside at anytime, if it's not fully protected.
Closed Thread