Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Turtles and Terrapins > Aquatic, Semi-Aquatic, and Terrestrial Turtles

Old 14-01-2009, 03:00 PM   #1
Carlie
Egg

Default Advice with turtle housing conditions in a petshop

Hello, Shelled Warriors

I recently visited a pet shop in my area, which keeps a turtle 'display' area. It's a 6' x 6' pen with a pond in the middle and gravel on the outside. There is a small basking area towards the back with a red basking lamp. There are 7 adult Yellow Belly Cooters (I think), ranging from around 6" right up to around 10+".

I'm a little concerned that they have no access to UVB and their water is black. Aside from this, they all look quite healthy and bright, though I don't know how long they've been there in those conditions.

Am I right to be concerned or am I just being a busy body?

If I'm not just being a busy body and need to mind my own business, how could I go about persuading the pet shop to make improvements? I did ask a young lady if they would be provided with UVB in the future and she said that it was up to her boss and she didn't know.

I have a spare Hobby UV Sun Lux 160w Spotlight, reflector and light fitting that I can give to them, but I'm not sure how well it will go down. Surely if somebody is going to go as far as setting up such an enclosure and acquiring turtles of this size they will have at least some knowledge of their requirements?

I think the subject is best approached with sensitivity and understanding or there's a good chance the pet shop will tell me to get lost and probably bar me from the shop.

In an ideal world, somebody amazingly knowledgeable about turtles would speak to them for me as I only really know about basic care and couldn't back my thoughts up with facts and figures should they challenge my views.

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.
Carlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 05:10 PM   #2
Paulg1
Adult

Honestly, the best you can do is offer friendly advise to the owner. Telling the employees will do no good. They can't cough without permission.

"Stop the world, I want to get off!"
Paulg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 07:00 PM   #3
Zen
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Perhaps you could write a letter to 'the boss' outlining your concerns??

Rachael & Zen (THB)
'Show gratitude to every living thing'
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 07:17 PM   #4
Carlie
Egg

Yeah, I'll visit at the weekend and have a chat with them.

I think it's important not to come across condescending and undermining or I'll not get anywhere.

Thanks for your replies.
Old 14-01-2009, 07:52 PM   #5
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

I always think gently bently is the way to go, you could start off by saying what a good size/ attractive pen they've made and then slip in the suggestion of UV
When I was teaching 'hairdressing' we were trained to slip in a slight critisism<sp> inbetween a couple of compliments/ positive comments
Old 14-01-2009, 08:11 PM   #6
Carlie
Egg

Excellent suggestion.

I'll give it a go and let you know how I get on.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:46 PM   #7
moxtikelpor
Egg

unfortunately this is happening all over, its wrong & i always moan at staff ect but it never changes, the answer i have had a few times in petshops is "there only turtles" that makes me so mad, they are reptiles!! another reason they keep them in bad conditions is that they probally dont have a clue about filtration & people will feel sorry for it & take one home
moxtikelpor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:17 PM   #8
juju
Incubating

You could always print off advice sheets from the TT website and take them with you to give the manager............don't offer them your lights, they are a business and they can provide there own!
You could also send the TT their name and address and ask them to send thema copy of the new booklet they are sending out to all pet shops/garden centers and others who sell torts.

(Sorry if I am not allowed to mention this?)

Last edited by juju; 05-02-2009 at 10:19 PM.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote