Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Turtles and Terrapins > Aquatic, Semi-Aquatic, and Terrestrial Turtles

Old 01-02-2007, 10:02 AM   #1
godbish
Egg

Default Adding another turtle?

i currently have what i think is a male map, i came to this conclusion as his tale is really long, hes only young an is only about 2 inches long now so obviously its a bit hard to tell but it appears this way. n e way i wanted to get another turtle to share the tank with him preferably a female map. i found a reptile dealer who said he will be able to locate me one ruffly the same size.i have bought a larger tank which will be more than big enough for two maps. is it best just to put them straight in together?has any one try'd adding another map to a maps tank do they tend to get along straight away?has any one had any problems with them not getting along?i know maps are ment to be fairly sociable with other turtles but just wanted to check with others.
godbish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 01:15 PM   #2
Graham
Hatched

I'd keep them apart until you are sure the newcomer is healthy, a couple of months at least.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 04:23 PM   #3
jackjordandylan
Incubating

I added a young map to my cooters tank, I was advised to take the original turtle from the tank, move everything around in the tank so when you put it back in it doesnt get territortial when putting in the new addition. The cooter tried to nibble the map a couple of times straight after putting the map in but they have been fine since.
jackjordandylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 09:15 AM   #4
touie
Hatched

I added a little map (3") into my tank with a larger map (5 1/2") and cooter (8 1/2") recently. After initial toe biting (from the newcomer ) all settled down with in the day and they've been fine since
touie is offline   Reply With Quote