Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Introduce Yourself

Old 09-09-2011, 09:45 PM   #1
Crindau
Egg

Default Pigs ears

Hello everyone,just thought I would tell younabout my tortoise.
He is a 5 year old Tunisian spur thigh and lives in our house,he does not have a box or a table but has full freedom to walk anywhere he wants,he walks over to where my dog is sleeping ( a rescue Greyhound ) to see if there any bits of Pigs ears left on the dogs bed that the dog has not eaten. He will also bit the dogs nails,his favourite food is carrot fresh or tinned he does not mind.he has a heat and sun lamp which are fixed to the skirting in our dining room.He stands under these until he is as hot as a meat pie,and if you walk past him he will run out standing tall as he can and try to bite you.he is very territorial.he eats cat biscuits and any bits and pieces he find around the house,(we Have wooden floors)he does mess on the floor and we have to keep an eye on what he does and clean up quickly.He has an outside run in the garden and goes out when it's hot enough,in winter he has a box with plenty of heat to go in he likes about 30deg.he comes on holiday with us sometimes.we took him to the Henly Reggata this year ,we spent a week in our caravan,we bought a childs paddling pool for him to go in with lots of grass and dandys and a little pool of water,he was also allowed to wander about the field as long as we were watching where he was going.Lots of people came to look at him he is quite a
Character,when he is warm he runs very fast, what we were surprised about was we were told some other people had their tortoise camping with them in the next field.I have read lots of rubbish online about what tortoises can eat and not eat ,in the wild they will scavenge anything they can.
One tortise I had many years ago would climb into rubbish bags and eat almost any food he could find.My tortoise has Cuttlefish and other supplements he can eat,but prefers Pigs ears.
Crindau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:22 PM   #2
Watermelon
Adult

Hi there, why dont you post a pic up of him? He sounds like a right character! Cant imagine pigs ears are great for him???? High in fat.... saturated fat and high in cholesterol.
Watermelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:50 AM   #3
alley cat
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crindau View Post
.I have read lots of rubbish online about what tortoises can eat and not eat ,in the wild they will scavenge anything they can.
Yes but in the wild they are not going to find pigs ears, cat food or rubbish bags to snack from.
Welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy your stay and learn lots of new information
alley cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:52 AM   #4
TortBabe
Adult

Hello and welcome I keep 6 Tunisian Spur Thighs, they are sensitive little torts here is a good article on their care
http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/tunisian.html
Also a great site for safe tortoise food
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/s...ise_home_1.asp