Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Introduce Yourself

Old 10-07-2011, 02:31 PM   #11
kkenny
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by porridge66 View Post
Thank you all for your welcome. To be honest I am having a few issues with this breeder. Don't get me wrong I know that people need to protect their babies (I used to breed parrots so was the same) but she won't let me meet the tortoises to 'chose my own' or rather let them choose me as I do with all pets. I know that thefts are on the rise but I am an honest animal lover. I can't find anyone else though that has tortoises available near to me. (I live in Staffordshire) I am also disabled and cannot drive too far as I seize up. Also another thing that worries me about this is that she wants to meet me half way. Thats always been an alarm to me in the past. And finally she seems to be more expensive that people I have seen on here. She is charging £300 for the pair. Can anyone offer me any advise on my 'issues'. Thanks for reading this far (if you managed lol) and I look forward to hearing any advise you can give.

Sarah xxx
Ah, you sound like a lovely person.

I bought on line from the thetortoiseshop.com. I know this may not appeal to you but I am delighted with my George, he is in top condition. Cant recommend them highly enough. a pair would be more like £200 on there.

Just a thought, they courier to you.

I wouldn't like the thought of meeting someone half way although understand the logic behind it. I would have to take my hubby and my 6ft 5in brother along if it was me.

Good luck

Spartacus, THB, March 2013
Henry, THB, July 2008

Last edited by kkenny; 10-07-2011 at 02:33 PM.
kkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:38 PM   #12
Cathers
Hatched

Hello and welcome, hope you sort something soon, but if the deal doesn't seem right in your head then dont go through with it - gut instincts and everything. Good Luck
Old 10-07-2011, 03:52 PM   #13
retrophile
Egg

I echo Karin's point on the tortoise shop. I got my marginated Benedict from there just 2 weeks ago. Very friendly advice; over the phone, via email and via their facebook page.

If travelling is an issue they deliver with TNT for an arranged date. I live just outside Glasgow and as far as I am aware, there are no breeders in my area. So this was the only option for me, but a great one. I'd strongly recommend them.
retrophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:35 PM   #14
filardimarg2
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to filardimarg2

Hi & welcome to the forum.

Now please don't take this the wrong way, i'm sure the OP are happy with their tortoises from a shop/online but there are some horra stories of tortoises bought from shops, try to find a good breeder within travelling distance from you.

Marg.
filardimarg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:12 PM   #15
jeannette37
Juvenile

Think there are a few breeders who wont allow pick up from there homes just in case,perhaps you should contact them and tell them how your feeling,they do seem abit expensive the ones we saw were £100 each, some breeders give discounts for two some don't but its worth looking at the breeders list,I think it is nice to see them in there own surroundings but I suppose not everybody can do that
jeannette37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:59 PM   #16
SeeShell
Adult

Hi and a warm welcome to the forum.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:28 AM   #17
porridge66
Incubating

Thanks again everyone. I am so pleased that I have found this site, you are so friendly and helpful. I can see that I am gonna be asking a lot of questions but unlike on other forums I have been on (not for torts) I will not be made to feel stupid. I am wary of having any sort of creature sent by courier unless they are species specific iykwim. I will have a look on the breeders list on here.

Thanks again

Sarah xx
porridge66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:24 AM   #18
Zen
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Hello, welcome to SW

Rachael & Zen (THB)
'Show gratitude to every living thing'
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:26 AM   #19
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

300 for two does seem a bit steep if they are Eastern Hermanns (Testudo Hermanni Boettgeri). If they are western hermanns (Hermanni Hermanni) then that price is cheap.

I've never used the online shop mentioned, but I know, unlike other online shops, that the one in question breed their own tortoises.

Last edited by Petrus; 11-07-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Petrus is offline   Reply With Quote