Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Events/Meetings

Old 13-03-2010, 07:42 PM   #1
EJ
Adult

Default BCG meeting MK

For those of you who made the meeting... could you post a recap here? How did it go. I'm particularly interested in any assination attempts.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2010, 07:54 PM   #2
EJ
Adult

I've got my suspicions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stells View Post
Someone was getting assasinated?
and
Old 14-03-2010, 07:33 AM   #3
Geomyda
Adult

I did attend the Symposium, as I have done many times before.
Firstly, let me say that initially, the atmosphere was a little tense and at least one of the Committee was visibly shaking, with nerves when we were getting our morning Coffee before the meeting kicked off.
Sadly, the attendance for the Symposium was pitiful, certainly less than 50 and that included the five excellent speakers. To me, this showed how ironic the situation has become: All the best things the BCG represents were evident, five very interesting topics, delivered by excellent speakers, three of whom were referring to Conservation project's previously supported with funds by the BCG. All three of which I whole heartedly support. Yet sadly, oh so few, to listen to their fascinating lectures!
It was probably just as well, that the AGM, with its attendant election was not held yesterday as there was insufficient number of members to hold a quorum. At the same time, the Chairman, Don Freeman was absent due we are told to continued ill health. This might fairly reflect the question, is he actually fit enough to stand for re election?
So Ed, if your question is really,"were you missed this year"? I guess the answer might be to you and 1650 other members whom it seemed could not make the event: Yes!!!

Last edited by Geomyda; 15-03-2010 at 03:32 PM.
Geomyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2010, 10:39 AM   #4
Box girl
Sub Adult

I used to go to the Bristol Symposium and this was always very well attended with usually over 100 people attending.
I wonder why since moving the Symposium to Milton Keynes much fewer people attend. For me it is the distance and the cost having to purchase a meal as part of the cost makes it an expensive day out if there are 2 of you.

Money raised to Allwetter Zoo Muenster e6000 sent so far.

Have bred-red foots, yellow foots, eastern box, 3 toed box, ornate box, gulf coast box, common musk, elongated tortoise, red eared terrapin, cuora flavomarginata, cuora amboinensis, hermanns tortoise, horsfield tortoise, rhinoclemys.p. manni,
european pond turtle, reeves and spurs
Box girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2010, 01:16 PM   #5
NFI
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box girl View Post
I used to go to the Bristol Symposium and this was always very well attended with usually over 100 people attending.
I wonder why since moving the Symposium to Milton Keynes much fewer people attend. For me it is the distance and the cost having to purchase a meal as part of the cost makes it an expensive day out if there are 2 of you.
It wouldn't matter where the Symposium was held, it's location is never going to please everyone (including me).

Not sure if you can draw a direct correlation with the location of the Symposium and the number of attendees. There are many other things that should be taken into account.
NFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2010, 01:53 PM   #6
Box girl
Sub Adult

Can you make some suggestions as to what seeing as the Bristol symposia were so well attended and we seem to have as good a set of speakers. I thought the location seemed a good reason. I am presuming you did not attend the symposium either?
It is a pity as I always enjoyed these events.

Money raised to Allwetter Zoo Muenster e6000 sent so far.

Have bred-red foots, yellow foots, eastern box, 3 toed box, ornate box, gulf coast box, common musk, elongated tortoise, red eared terrapin, cuora flavomarginata, cuora amboinensis, hermanns tortoise, horsfield tortoise, rhinoclemys.p. manni,
european pond turtle, reeves and spurs
Box girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2010, 02:02 PM   #7
NFI
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box girl View Post
Can you make some suggestions as to what seeing as the Bristol symposia were so well attended and we seem to have as good a set of speakers. I thought the location seemed a good reason. I am presuming you did not attend the symposium either?
It is a pity as I always enjoyed these events.
  • Date
  • Cost
  • Speakers
  • Topics
Old 15-03-2010, 02:47 PM   #8
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFI View Post
  • Date
  • Cost
  • Speakers
  • Topics
NFI,
You are right of course, the choice of DATE; being 13th March this year did coincide with the European Hamm show. However, for those of us who consider the BCG highly, we sacrifice the European Show to attend the BCG Symposium.
COST; again in these financially stretched times £25 per person can be quite a burden, add to that the cost of overnight accommodation for those who travel far, it does make it quite expensive. However, it does represent a good opportunity to meet up with other members and ex members. I should add, that I did find it strange not to have the AGM on the same day this year as this does make the economics of attending both complete madness. However, no doubt this year the current committee was possibly struggling to expel everybody in time for this to be practical!!
SPEAKERS; In this regard as I said earlier, the five speakers on Saturday were excellent, and three of them were former recipients of Conservation funding from the group. It is so nice to see, well considered conservation plans, where projects were cogent and properly executed. The speakers happily delivering evidence of their results and really positive Conservation stories. I was very impressed with all three projects that were covered on Saturday and hope the Conservation officer took notes on what to look for in future successful appeals?
TOPICS; I have generally, always been impressed with the Topics covered in BCG Symposia.The subject matter is both diverse and usually very detailed. Speakers are equally of a high standard.

In terms of this years attendance, I suspect the conflict of AGM V Symposium, may have had something to do with the poor turn out, but hopefully a good number of members will take the trouble to once again attend the AGM/election and spend a couple of hours back near Milton Keynes on the 11th April 2010
Now your thoughts on the sense of costly travel and precious time on this matter would be appreciated?
Geomyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2010, 03:10 PM   #9
EJ
Adult

How many tortoise people actually go to Hamm.

I'm willing to bet that this years low turnout is because of this crap.

Paul, if your intent is the help the BCG... I still think you are not going about it in the proper manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geomyda View Post
NFI,
You are right of course, the choice of DATE; being 13th March this year did coincide with the European Hamm show. However, for those of us who consider the BCG highly, we sacrifice the European Show to attend the BCG Symposium.
COST; again in these financially stretched times £25 per person can be quite a burden, add to that the cost of overnight accommodation for those who travel far, it does make it quite expensive. However, it does represent a good opportunity to meet up with other members and ex members. I should add, that I did find it strange not to have the AGM on the same day this year as this does make the economics of attending both complete madness. However, no doubt this year the current committee was possibly struggling to expel everybody in time for this to be practical!!
SPEAKERS; In this regard as I said earlier, the five speakers on Saturday were excellent, and three of them were former recipients of Conservation funding from the group. It is so nice to see, well considered conservation plans, where projects were cogent and properly executed. The speakers happily delivering evidence of their results and really positive Conservation stories. I was very impressed with all three projects that were covered on Saturday and hope the Conservation officer took notes on what to look for in future successful appeals?
TOPICS; I have generally, always been impressed with the Topics covered in BCG Symposia.The subject matter is both diverse and usually very detailed. Speakers are equally of a high standard.

In terms of this years attendance, I suspect the conflict of AGM V Symposium, may have had something to do with the poor turn out, but hopefully a good number of members will take the trouble to once again attend the AGM/election and spend a couple of hours back near Milton Keynes on the 11th April 2010
Now your thoughts on the sense of costly travel and precious time on this matter would be appreciated?
and
Old 15-03-2010, 03:11 PM   #10
NFI
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geomyda View Post
Here's a thought.

Have you ever attended the Symposium on the same day as the AGM?
If yes, how long did the AGM take?
If it had taken any longer would the start of the Symposium have been delayed (or would you have missed the beginning) and would you have been happy about that.?