Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Introduce Yourself

Old 08-09-2006, 11:28 PM   #11
piglet
Adult

Hi Jill and welcome to the forum .
I see your a domestic fowl fan same here, i see your user name Redcap is this after the Derbyshire Redcap fowl
Heres a picture of one of my aseel hens she was a great show bird in her youth she's now aged 10yrs

Darren

17 years old 25 years ago
piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 03:35 AM   #12
aprillinda

darren what is an aseel hen

please

linda x
Old 09-09-2006, 08:19 AM   #13
Redcap
Egg

Thanks everyone for the welcome. I'm off to get stuff for substrate for the babies today & have ordered the limestone flour from the shop here.

Darren - yes - you're quite right! Starting a flock of Derbyshire Redcaps has been my project this year - 3 doz. eggs from ebay have produced just 3 pullets and 2 cockerels - so I'm on the way! and they are really precious & lovely - I'll do a piccy sometime! Your Aseel lady looks super for her age. What else have you got? Anytime you want to talk chickens I'm up for it!

Best wishes, Jill
Redcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 08:26 AM   #14
piglet
Adult

Linda its a domestic chicken ,the name Aseel or asil means of long pedigree, Aseels are probably the original domestic fowl as all domestic poultry originate from the red jungle fowl(Gallus gallus) Aseels are the equivalent to pit bull terriers in the poultry world and were originally bred and still are for the art of cock fighting, even young chickens just weeks old can start sparring as the urge to fight is extremely strong in this breed.

Jill thats great Derbyshires are beautiful birds, at the moment Jill i have a mixed flock as i now don't show any more so rehomed all te birds except some of the older older birds that have passed there prime, these include Dutch bantams , pekin, old english game minitures,light sussex miniture,brown leghorn miniture,and a few cross breeds o and debra an old warren hybrid who still lays every day.
One of my Old english game bantams is 17yrs old and the oldest hen i ever had was an Aseel who died at 26 yrs she is the mother to the bird picture.
Asian hard feather were possibly my favorite but so dam aggressive hence the reason i hardly have any now thye don't mix well .
Darren

17 years old 25 years ago
piglet is offline   Reply With Quote