Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Events/Meetings

Old 11-08-2009, 09:53 PM   #81
Geomyda
Adult

She disappeared off down to Champney's near Hindhead, then Brighton so for some reason I have been left on my own this week.
Geomyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 09:59 PM   #82
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geomyda View Post
She disappeared off down to Champney's near Hindhead, then Brighton so for some reason I have been left on my own this week.

Champneys.... you're so posh
Old 11-08-2009, 10:44 PM   #83
justmeandmytortoise
Adult

Ahhh .... Kent has so much to offer! What will we get up to next!
justmeandmytortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 11:05 PM   #84
Jemma1
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to Jemma1

you guys have to promise to tell me about any meets! Was a really good weekend, and i would love to meet everyone again!
Old 11-08-2009, 11:21 PM   #85
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemma1 View Post
you guys have to promise to tell me about any meets! Was a really good weekend, and i would love to meet everyone again!
Jemma, the next one on the 6th Sept is really good:

Sunday 6th September 2009 is our Galapagos / Darwin Celebration Day.

In the morning there is a visit to Darwin's home - Down House, Kent

Please PM me to book your place - please let me know if you are going as I need to book in advance to get the discount for groups

Join us in celebrating the 200th anniversary of the birth of one of the world's most eminent scientists, Charles Darwin. It was at Down House that Darwin lived with his devoted family for 40 years, and it was here he researched and wrote his most famous and explosive of works, On the Origin of Species.

Visit the brand new exhibition, Uncovering Origins, which charts the progression of Darwin's ideas and the controversy they provoked. Enjoy new interactive multimedia tours narrated by David Attenborough and Andrew Marr, covering both the family rooms and, for the first time ever, the extensive gardens known as Darwin's 'outdoor laboratory'. Also experience what life at sea was like as Darwin's epic 5-year voyage is vividly brought to life with a full-scale replica of his cramped cabin on board HMS Beagle.

Immerse yourself in Darwin’s world with an audio tour of the atmospheric family rooms, narrated by Sir David Attenborough. Be inspired as you stand in the very study where he researched and wrote his most famous work, On the Origin of Species.

Visit the new first floor exhibition which charts Darwin’s life, introduces his groundbreaking theory and explores the effect his ideas had on the conservative Victorian world. Special highlights include unique collections of Darwin’s personal possessions, rare manuscript material including pages from the Origin, and an impressive full scale replica of his cabin onboard HMS Beagle.

Wander the extensive gardens at Down House and explore what was for Darwin a landscape of discovery. With a new handheld video guide, discover the many ways in which the surrounding landscape inspired Darwin’s research, a landscape he cherished as his ‘outdoor laboratory’.

See some of Darwin’s famous experiments recreated in the gardens, alongside a vast array of Victorian varieties of fruit and vegetables in the kitchen garden. Take time to marvel at the orchids and carnivorous plants on display in the hothouse, and witness a hive of activity in the bee observatory. Beyond this, follow in the footsteps of this enigmatic scientific thinker as you stroll along what is for many a place of pilgrimage: the Sandwalk, Darwin’s famous ‘thinking path’, which he trod daily.

Tea Room & Shop

How much does it cost?
Adult:£8.80 Children:£4.40 Concession:£7.50 Family Ticket: £22.00
English Heritage Members:Free
Group Discount:15% discount for groups of 11 or more

How do I get there?
Address:Kent - BR6 7JT
Road Access:Luxted Rd, Downe; off A21 or A233
Train Access:Travel by train is easy: only 15 minutes from London Victoria or London Charing Cross to Bromley South, followed by bus 146 at 36 minutes past the hour.

Afterwards have some lunch then pop along to meet Henry Nicholls and JG Books, get your Lonesome George book signed by Henry and any other Chelonia books you need and stay for our celebration meeting (1.30-5pm)

Who would like to come to Down House?
Just Me and my Tortoise event
http://www.justmeandmytortoise.webs.com/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by justmeandmytortoise; Today at 09:28 PM.
Geomyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2009, 09:47 PM   #86
justmeandmytortoise
Adult

Well done everybody ... we made the local paper

http://www.justmeandmytortoise.webs.com/
justmeandmytortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:26 PM   #87
clairestortoise
Juvenile

Send a message via MSN to clairestortoise

Sure looked like fun! lol...Mucky fun!! lol I'd need some wellies though...pink ones

9 Cats, Wallace 15, Blackie 10, Scooby&Phoebe(Bro&Sis) 9, Gucci 6, Snuggles 5 and Oliver 3 and Blossom and Billy 10 months old

Tye 9 Yr old Yorkie

2 children

1 Husband

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...e&id=523711412

clairestortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:22 PM   #88
justmeandmytortoise
Adult

Default Fun day August 2010 project

Just Me and my Tortoise

August - Tortoise, terrapin and turtle fun day project at local reptile zoo

near Biggin Hill, Kent.

Welcome to another fun day project to help tortoises, terrapins and turtles. Clean out vivariums, bath the tortoises, trim beaks, cut nails and take the tortoises out into the sunshine for a long supervised ‘walk’ on the grass. Get involved with terrapins too.

Free entry to the Zoo and free refreshments for all volunteers. Loads of fun with Just Me and my Tortoise members.

Date – a Saturday or Sunday in August when the weather is sunny so the tortoises can go outside - dependent on the weather. From 10.00-17.00.

Please PM me if you are interested in joining in the fun, with dates you are free.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:43 PM   #89
joekent
Hatchling

Send a message via MSN to joekent

Emailed you Wendy