Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 02-02-2009, 09:45 AM   #1
loogielv
Egg

Default Tort was "free to great home" SHOULD’VE been "TERRIBLE OWNERS. NEEDS RESCUING" PICS

Someone was offering a Russian Tortoise (Horsfield Tortoise) for free to a good home. Let me start at the beginning.

The Advert:
Below is an exact copy of the advert of this Russian Tortoise.

Russian Tortoise Good health

Hi there i am re homing my russian tortoise. i will be very sad to
have to see him go the truth of the matter is I just had to move into
a smaller home and have dogs and birds that will be much more
traumatized if rehomed so I have chosen for the turtle to go. He is
now kept indoors I kept him in a cool environment one summer and the
heat was still to much for him. Right now I feed him organic leafy
matter (from costco) never iceberg lettuce and hardly ever romaine it
is just not as nutritional enough. I also feed him frozen mixed
veggies (run under water to take the chill off) No fruit except maybe
a bite once a month it is not good for them! He will come with his
home which is a glass terrarium that is approx 2.5X2.5 and about 8-9
inches deep. I change his substrate about once per month and he does
NOT STINK. He is a nice pet and will walk around outside on the floor
etc. The weather just has to be right because he does not like cold or
hot. I would like for him to go to a home with tortoise experience. I
am in NO HURRY his well being is of most concern.
If you would like to
give my tortoise a new home please send your info and a little bit
about yourself, what his new environment will be and how you will care
for him. Again his well being is most important in my decision of
letting him go to a new home.

<snip>

***Below is some IMPORTANT Information to know before you email me****

Russian Tortoises are grazers and enjoy broad leaf plants. The best
diet is a variety of weeds (leaves and flowers). Dandelion is a
favorite. For detailed diet information:http://www.russiantortoise.org
Water:

The person then went on to copy most of the diet and housing information from russiantortoise.org. Seems pretty good right? Seems like only the well being of the tortoise is concern #1 yes? Seems like this person has done some research and truly cared whether they were giving the tortoise the best possible life huh?
I responded to the advert and after some email "interviews" was selected to receive this tortoise. 2 days later, I met the "caregivers".

The Pickup:
I could've punched the people in the temple with a screw driver I was so mad when I seen him. It was truly pitiful. I knew he was in an undersized tank from the original advert. I also knew the tank was glass, which as we know is a no-no, but still, it's not unheard of in the casual pet keeper world.
What I didn't know was that he only had about a half inch of dirty, dingy, dusty, crumbled bark as substrate. It was so shallow that when he walked, his feet were basically resting on the glass. He had one Tupperware bin for water, and one old lid for a food dish.

Can you spot the tort?

Hard to see him with all that camouflage isn't it? He was so caked in dirt and "bark mud" that it took me a second to find him. I shouldn't be so harsh on the owners though. He wasn't totally covered in dirt. He was also covered in his own feces a lot. Simply awful.

His poop was easily a half inch thick on the bottom of his shell. I couldn't even listen to his breathing without gagging from the smell.

He had rubbed his nails on his front feet down to nubs trying to get a grip on the glass.

(blurry, but there's better ones later)

He had developed a real talent for getting grip by scooting backwards across the tank instead of walking like an actual tortoise.
I'm so mad as I type this, I can't even see straight. Don't misunderstand, I'm not mad because I got swindled into taking a poorly kept tort, I'm mad because these people pretended to care about this animal. I would've respected them more if they said "we're dirtbags and have been neglecting this creature for months. Please help him" NO such luck. If the previous owners are reading this, I hope you come back as a turtle in the worst pet store in the world. You should honestly be ashamed of yourself.

Moving on.
loogielv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:45 AM   #2
loogielv
Egg

The transition:

I quickly gave him a bath in a 5 gal bucket. I normally would've let him use the bath, but I knew I'd have to change the water a few times during this bath.

Notice how his butt is up against the side of the bucket? That's because when I put him in, he used his talent and scooted backwards. He was very active, but extremely grumpy and skittish. I don't blame him one bit.

A pretty bad shot of his back feet. He didn't rub the nails down on those, it appears as though he rubbed his toes completely off. Except one long one.

Better pics later.

I took the bath time to dump his crap bark out and filled his tank with 60% topsoil and 40% play sand. I'm going to continue using this tank for the winter, and then it's an outside pen in the nice Las Vegas weather until it gets too hot.

I also covered the sides of the glass with felt to block the view out. He quickly decided he didn't like it.

I ended up hot gluing the felt up. He agreed that it's tolerable.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:46 AM   #3
loogielv
Egg

The Health:
You can see some serious stuff happening on his shell. I really want some insight on the condition of his shell if anyone can offer it.
A shot showing his rubbed down front nails. Also you can see some of the chipping on the shell.

Here you can see his one toe. It looks like theres 2 in this pic, but the upper toe is really just the top of his foot. There's only 1 to be seen on each back foot

More of the same.

A shot showing some of the chipping on his shell and his one toe is really visible on the bottom foot.

I put a little cardboard box in the corner as a home for him, but he decided the best view is from the roof.

The red is just the color of the box.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:46 AM   #4
loogielv
Egg

The white spots are obviously a concern. but from close inspection, I really get the feeling it's from an old incidident with a dog, or some old flaking. I'm quite sure there was no UVB for this guy and that probably has something to do with it too.
I think I'll let the pictures do the talking for me.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:47 AM   #5
loogielv
Egg

The back feet

His new setup

"Get the hell out of my way house. I'm taking a nap right there, and you're in my damn way!"

Tons more pics, but mostly of the same thing if anyone is interested at http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...ussian%20Tort/

The vet is on the schedule this week, but please offer any advice. I purchased some Vita shell and he's received two treatments already.

Also, he hasn't eaten in the 3 days I've had him. He sleeps A TON (from about 2pm until about 8am the next morning) but he is extremely active when he's awake. Crashing and banging all over the place. Takes his own baths, and apparently relocates his living quarters

I sure do like this guy (or girl I guess. hrmm) and I only want the best for him!
Old 02-02-2009, 10:03 AM   #6
Zen
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Hi, i read your post in stunned silence, infact i cant even find the words to write, other than you have saved this tortoise from a dreaful existence. I have never seen any thing like this before, truly shocking. Well done for taking him on.

Rachael & Zen (THB)
'Show gratitude to every living thing'
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:09 AM   #7
loogielv
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen View Post
Hi, i read your post in stunned silence, infact i cant even find the words to write, other than you have saved this tortoise from a dreaful existence. I have never seen any thing like this before, truly shocking. Well done for taking him on.
thank you for reading and commenting. I'm not ashamed to say if i had known how bad this guy was ahead of time, or even if had known he needed rescuing, I would've cowered out and called a friend who knows more than me to rescue him instead. I would never want the guilt of not being able to save one...but as soon as i saw him, I knew there was no turning back. This little guy needed me, and I think I needed him.
My only concern is the vet visit. I dont think I can get to him this week now that i think about it. I have many real life issues pressing (8 month pregnant wife is topping the list, barely in front of "nearly laid off on friday, but my boss sacrificed 3 other people to save me". yah. life is being life right now) and I need to deal with them. Many people on other forums have chimed in and are leaning towards the shell being old injuries and not active rot. I can only hope.

Hopefully a vet visit is doable this week or next at the latest, but any advice otherwise is surely welcomed.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:19 AM   #8
Lou
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to Lou

Hi... god... I'm with Zen, I don't know what to say to you... i thought my torts were kept in a bad way when I picked them up.... this is just unbeliavble... I can not believe someone wouldnt take the time to at least bathe the poor thing in that mess... i am so pleased that he is now with someone who is going to take care of him.. i hope there are no serious underlying illness and he improves xxxxx

Horsfield: 1.0.2 Walter / Izzy / Tilly
Redfoot : 1.3.0 Ruby / Scarlet / Merlot / Ginger
Goldfish : 0:0:1 Splodge
Bearded Dragon : 0:1:0 Zuki
Springer Spaniel : 1:0:0 Bailey
Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:47 AM   #9
CJ
Sub Adult

Oh my goodness! I'm completely stunned! Thank goodness for you is all I can say, at least he'll be well looked after now! I can't believe the 'people' you got him from weren't totally embarrassed and ashamed to let you see him like that! I wish you lots of luck with him, and well done you for rescuing him.
CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:52 AM   #10
Mrs Frog
Adult

Thank goodness you were there to save him,what did the previous owner say when you turned up?were they embarrassed?

Good luck with your job and new baby
Mrs Frog is offline   Reply With Quote